Speculation: Dreger on Buffalo's asking price for Myers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Please no Methot.

Please let that be just another "Detroit needs a defenseman so throw them into the mix" rumor.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
acquiring methot is a lousy idea

he is a decent #4 dman on teams that have erik karlssons and since only one team does he is a lousy fit to fill our need here in detroit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm starting to have reservations if Ouellet, Sproul, Backman, Marchenko, Jensen are going to be as good as we thought they were.

Well, not so much Ouellet. Think he'll be solid. But I'm not sure about the rest of them.

I would like to see more offense from Sproul and Backman.

Jensen and Marchenko, seem more like bottom pair guys to me. Not sure if they will have a future here. I know that Holland has said Marchenko could be a middle pair guy, but I don't see it happening here.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
acquiring methot is a lousy idea

he is a decent #4 dman on teams that have erik karlssons and since only one team does he is a lousy fit to fill our need here in detroit

Its a great Defenseman for the Oilers to Acquire. I do not think we need another "boring" defensive D-man... technically that is just like all our other D-men :P

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm starting to have reservations if Ouellet, Sproul, Backman, Marchenko, Jensen are going to be as good as we thought they were.

Well, not so much Ouellet. Think he'll be solid. But I'm not sure about the rest of them.

I would like to see more offense from Sproul and Backman.

Jensen and Marchenko, seem more like bottom pair guys to me. Not sure if they will have a future here. I know that Holland has said Marchenko could be a middle pair guy, but I don't see it happening here.
I figure if Myers gets the benefit of a doubt for being on a bad team, the GR guys should too.

They're in a really weird spot. The forwards have been pretty terrible, the goalie is underperforming, the very system itself doesn't seem to be working right, and on top of that, ice time is limited for deserving guys because of the roster logjam. It's easy to see how the guys who were good last season could struggle this time around.

My pet theory is that GR is dealing with some disappointed players. A whole bunch of them are on the doorstep, but not getting chances. Then Nestrasil leapfrogs a bunch of them. I'm not saying it's a character or attitude issue, but that kind of disappointment across 6-7 guys can affect a locker room. Compound that when you're both not in the NHL and not playing a lot. And then it gets worse still when you're losing. It probably doesn't help that they've got rookie assistant coaches now, either.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I figure if Myers gets the benefit of a doubt for being on a bad team, the GR guys should too.

They're in a really weird spot. The forwards have been pretty terrible, the goalie is underperforming, the very system itself doesn't seem to be working right, and on top of that, ice time is limited for deserving guys because of the roster logjam. It's easy to see how the guys who were good last season could struggle this time around.

Good points.

I'm not saying "I think these guys are going to bust", or anything like that. I'm just saying, I expected a little more from them, compared to what guys like Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco accomplished.

I am just wondering if we are expecting a lot since our forwards took off with their development? So we just assume the same will happen with the D?

Guess I was just thinking out loud.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Good points.

I'm not saying "I think these guys are going to bust", or anything like that. I'm just saying, I expected a little more from them, compared to what guys like Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco accomplished.

I am just wondering if we are expecting a lot since our forwards took off with their development? So we just assume the same will happen with the D?

Guess I was just thinking out loud.
My guess is the forward group got lucky. They matured at a time where there was ice time open and available in GR. This defense is kind of limited in comparison. Pretty much every prospect down there should be playing a ton of minutes on the pp and pk, and instead of that, almost none of them are. They're rotating players out every few games and splitting ice time down the middle.

I think that's proving to be a bad development strategy. It doesn't make them worse, but it keeps guys from taking that next step. There's only so much you can learn playing against depth guys in the minors. Particularly Backman and Jensen are being shortchanged this season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Those defensemen in GR were drafted as long-term projects and should be treated as such.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My guess is the forward group got lucky. They matured at a time where there was ice time open and available in GR. This defense is kind of limited in comparison. Pretty much every prospect down there should be playing a ton of minutes on the pp and pk, and instead of that, almost none of them are. They're rotating players out every few games and splitting ice time down the middle.

I think that's proving to be a bad development strategy. It doesn't make them worse, but it keeps guys from taking that next step. There's only so much you can learn playing against depth guys in the minors. Particularly Backman and Jensen are being shortchanged this season.

Yep, which would have been all the more reason to have cleared at least one roster space for a promotion in camp. We could have survived just fine without signing Quincey or just waiving Kindl.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we are trying to find RH shooting PP Top4 defenceman, why on earth would Holland be interested acquiring another Left-handed stay-at-home, like Methot is? Another Ericsson.

This rumor is just pure crap.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

So what you are saying is they are all playing poorly because they have "5" good defensemen, and they are splitting all the ice time? Nah I don't buy that. The team is just playing poorly. Thus their stats look poor.

They are getting more playing time than they would in the NHL
They are facing lower level of competition than they would in the NHL
They should be putting up more points, or more stats than they would in the NHL.

If it is true and these guys are "fully developed" and playing in the AHL is a joke to them... Then they need to play better.

Suck it up, you didn't make the team yet, but within 1 year, these kids HAVE to make the NHL, or they are out of hockey basically. This is crunch time and they need to perform. Its very possible that this pressure has alot more to do with jitters than anything else.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If we are trying to find RH shooting PP Top4 defenceman, why on earth would Holland be interested acquiring another Left-handed stay-at-home, like Methot is? Another Ericsson.

This rumor is just pure crap.

Agreed. No real basis to this rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad