TSN: Dreger: JVR not expected back

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Good thing we didn't trade him at the deadline. *stirs pot*

I'm happy he wasn't traded. As has been noted before JvR is like a free rental played in a very limited manner where his specific drawbacks are minimized at a good cap hit. A cap hit that is going to skyrocket.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If he was being traded he had to go last offseason

I thought he should have been traded but he was never getting moved mid season with how good this team is
Well the one trade he was involed in would have been terrible, so thankfuly he stayed. The Hamonic move is one of the biggest blunders last season by Calgary.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
The media continues to peddle the idea that Lou would give up a First and JVR for a slow footed, low IQ defender. That was never true.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The media continues to peddle the idea that Lou would give up a First and JVR for a slow footed, low IQ defender. That was never true.

I always assumed that was the asking price, not what we were willing to give up.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Good thing we didn't trade him at the deadline. *stirs pot*
I think for the most part, 90% of the trade JVR at the deadline camp were not upset to see him stay, they (myself included) just think it was best asset management long term. There is no question about what he brings or if he is a good player, 34 goals is obvious.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think even if we win there will be changes. This team is too young to make big changes if they go out in the first round. Florida still hasn't recovered from doing that.

Im talking at 3C and on defense. Upgrades but it may mean JVR walks. Hard to see us paying him what he will be offered.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Im talking at 3C and on defense. Upgrades but it may mean JVR walks. Hard to see us paying him what he will be offered.

The situation in Toronto is nothing like it has been in Florida. The situation in Florida was an absolute mess from the top down from day one which they appear to be recovering from nicely and might even make the playoffs - and part of the reason they turned it around was that they moved passed their underperforming vet who helped drag the team down the previous year along with replacing a rookie NHL coach who was in over his head. And look at how Gallant's new team is performing! We might get knocked out in the first round, but that will be because we're facing a better team who exploits the Leafs current prime weakness; defensive play, of which really only one of the players we're moving out could be considered above average in that department.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well the one trade he was involed in would have been terrible, so thankfuly he stayed. The Hamonic move is one of the biggest blunders last season by Calgary.

The issue with that trade was the Flames GM having no idea where his team really was and not lottery protecting there 1st

Hamonic has been pretty good for them the last couple of months

It's certainly debatable if JVR or Hamonic would be more useful to this team now however

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I've wavered on this one but at the end of the day, would JVR be as productive on a different team? How many sweet redirects did he get from Mariner? He is very valuable in front of the net, I won't dispute that and his production has increased each year with Mariner and Mathews in the lineup and I believe Babs uses him correctly, I think more minutes would expose his defensive lapses more. So the question becomes, how much does the supporting cast help in his production?

I believe he moves in the offseason and someone will pay dearly for him and he will get 22-26 goals, not what he is accustomed to in Toronto. In Edm he will be slow next to McDavid, he would fit well in NJ and Ana but my belief is he may be too costly for the leafs. We will digress next year with Bozak, JVR and Komo moving on, there is no doubt about that but we will emerge a stronger team down the road with younger players getting those minutes.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The issue with that trade was the Flames GM having no idea where his team really was and not lottery protecting there 1st

Hamonic has been pretty good for them the last couple of months

It's certainly debatable if JVR or Hamonic would be more useful to this team now however
I'd take JVR anyday over Hamonic.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah the media still think the Larsson/Hall trade means every GM wants to do that. I don't think they've been paying attention this season to the Devils and Oilers.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
5) Last year we gave up a 2nd for Boyle, who managed all of 3 assists in his tenure here and everyone was begging for him to be signed to a multiyear deal.

Smart people, including myself, wanted Boyle resigned, because they realized he was more than just 3 assists - he's an upgrade over Bozak and Plekanec/Moore.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I've wavered on this one but at the end of the day, would JVR be as productive on a different team? How many sweet redirects did he get from Mariner? He is very valuable in front of the net, I won't dispute that and his production has increased each year with Mariner and Mathews in the lineup and I believe Babs uses him correctly, I think more minutes would expose his defensive lapses more. So the question becomes, how much does the supporting cast help in his production?

I believe he moves in the offseason and someone will pay dearly for him and he will get 22-26 goals, not what he is accustomed to in Toronto. In Edm he will be slow next to McDavid, he would fit well in NJ and Ana but my belief is he may be too costly for the leafs. We will digress next year with Bozak, JVR and Komo moving on, there is no doubt about that but we will emerge a stronger team down the road with younger players getting those minutes.

He was productive before Marner got here.

You are buying production, especially on the powerplay.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
A few thoughts:

1.) We have 3 UFA's that a lot wanted traded: JVR, Bozak, Leo. First and foremost, Leo's value is rapidly declining to the point that our team looks more quick without him (and I'm a Leo supporter).
Then I look at our current lineup. Our 'third' line has two UFA's that I believe will be hard to replace, JVR (elite scorer) and Bozak (RH, reliable face-off, utility 3rd liner centre).

2.) I think Nylander can replace Bozak, but I am not convinced management thinks the same. I do think Babs values RH centres. But does he value Bozak? Or do they take a stab at getting Jumbo Joe or Stastny? Either way, I'd love to see Matthews-Nylander continue into next year with the 3rd centre position addressed, for relatively cheap/short-term.

3.) I do not see anybody internally replicating JVR's stats, but I do think guys like Kapanen, Johnsson and to a lesser extent Grundstrom can play a similar role. JVR will be a top FA this summer, he will command $$$ and term. The guy isn't showing signs of declining, is an absolute beast in front of the net, clutch-timing, good teammate, another weapon beyond the big 3 for the Leafs.
Our young guys will all have to take big strides next year to replace his scoring and I'm not gung-ho on icing a team of <25 year olds.

So here's a question: How do we build/progress onto this years success if we lose JVR?

If we take a crack at any UFA, I hope its trying to facilitate a reasonable signing for JVR. Offload Marleau the following year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A few thoughts:

1.) We have 3 UFA's that a lot wanted traded: JVR, Bozak, Leo. First and foremost, Leo's value is rapidly declining to the point that our team looks more quick without him (and I'm a Leo supporter).
Then I look at our current lineup. Our 'third' line has two UFA's that I believe will be hard to replace, JVR (elite scorer) and Bozak (RH, reliable face-off, utility 3rd liner centre).

2.) I think Nylander can replace Bozak, but I am not convinced management thinks the same. I do think Babs values RH centres. But does he value Bozak? Or do they take a stab at getting Jumbo Joe or Stastny? Either way, I'd love to see Matthews-Nylander continue into next year with the 3rd centre position addressed, for relatively cheap/short-term.

3.) I do not see anybody internally replicating JVR's stats, but I do think guys like Kapanen, Johnsson and to a lesser extent Grundstrom can play a similar role. JVR will be a top FA this summer, he will command $$$ and term. The guy isn't showing signs of declining, is an absolute beast in front of the net, clutch-timing, good teammate, another weapon beyond the big 3 for the Leafs.
Our young guys will all have to take big strides next year to replace his scoring and I'm not gung-ho on icing a team of <25 year olds.

So here's a question: How do we build/progress onto this years success if we lose JVR?

If we take a crack at any UFA, I hope its trying to facilitate a reasonable signing for JVR. Offload Marleau the following year.

I claim the simple answer is John Tavares and possibly Vanek/Maroon. Without JT, getting to the next level will be a more difficult task for the Shannaclan.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i might be in the minority but if we arent waiting to sign daughty next year and JT isnt realistic i would take JVRs cash and use it on trying to sign john carlson. i think he would add alot to our back end

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i might be in the minority but if we arent waiting to sign daughty next year and JT isnt realistic i would take JVRs cash and use it on trying to sign john carlson. i think he would add alot to our back end

Waiting on Doughty would be insane as there's no guarantee he becomes UFA, in fact I think he'll sign with LA this off-season. Other than that sure, if not Tavares then I think it's a given we'll be trying to use our cap space one way or the other.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Waiting on Doughty would be insane as there's no guarantee he becomes UFA, in fact I think he'll sign with LA this off-season. Other than that sure, if not Tavares then I think it's a given we'll be trying to use our cap space one way or the other.
ye i just think we have enough capable winger replacements in the system to partially replace some of JVRs production(grundstrom comes to mind as somebody who could be used in a similar capacity to JVR) but our dmen prospects are nowhere near as strong or as close to making the jump to the show yet. grundstrom potting 20, while it may not happen isnt out of the realm of possibility and if you can get a very good RHD that can stabilize our pairings and help us give up fewer goals it accomplishes the same thing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
ye i just think we have enough capable winger replacements in the system to partially replace some of JVRs production(grundstrom comes to mind as somebody who could be used in a similar capacity to JVR) but our dmen prospects are nowhere near as strong or as close to making the jump to the show yet. grundstrom potting 20, while it may not happen isnt out of the realm of possibility and if you can get a very good RHD that can stabilize our pairings and help us give up fewer goals it accomplishes the same thing.

Sure, all other things being equal it would make more sense to spend on defence than on forwards.

Once

Jul 16, 2010

I agree with your post. The problem with this approach is the assumptions that Grundstrom/Johnsson/Kapanen can consistently put numbers on the board. I personally want to see another step forward next year, I'd rather add to the roster rather than deplete it. Maybe we go into next season with less experience and go through another learning curve? This is a difficult task for management.

Tavares would be a dream. If that were to happen then yeah, forget JVR.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I agree with your post. The problem with this approach is the assumptions that Grundstrom/Johnsson/Kapanen can consistently put numbers on the board. I personally want to see another step forward next year, I'd rather add to the roster rather than deplete it. Maybe we go into next season with less experience and go through another learning curve? This is a difficult task for management.

Tavares would be a dream. If that were to happen then yeah, forget JVR.
more than one way to progress though. adding in 3 of grundstrom/johnsson/kappy/UFA and solidifiying our back end is, while a different approach, an equally solid way of progressing. giving up less goals is by all measures is as important as scoring more goals. im not assuming that trio replaces his offense. but if they can help replace it while playing a more responsible 2 way game i dont think its a regression in the slightest. JVR is great at what he does, but for most of the season that line was more likely to give up chances/goals 5v5 than create them(even in 3rd line sheltered minutes)

also with jvr/bozak/komo gone maybe babs will start playing the big three a few more minutes a game. im gonna miss his goals if he leaves but i dont see a regression if we are smart about adding to our back end

Reactions: Once

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad