Speculation: Dreger: Devils/Flames had a tentative deal in place for Markstrom, Flames ownership said no

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It's been happening for decades.
As far as the league, without question. Plenty of examples. This is the first story I can recollect that shows Flames ownership, current group since 1994, blocking a move. Admittedly, I don't follow them day to day. Maybe someone within the mgt team chose to leak it to see if they can force a change in environment.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I always pictured a retool being used for teams with elite players already there. Who you just need to change a few parts around them.

For example the Bruins have changed a bunch of players, but they have had their core players for years.

The Flames are in need of a full rebuild. But ownership will not allow it.
They are allowing Conroy to sell off expiring vets. So markstrom is likely gone next season, either in the off season or near the deadline. If wolf doesn't step up, the team is going to be a lottery team eventually.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
With NJ offloading Vanacek today, that frees up cap space for this to go ahead without retention. Wouldn't be at all shocked if Markstrom ends up in NJ, in fact I'd say it's likely.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With NJ offloading Vanacek today, that frees up cap space for this to go ahead without retention. Wouldn't be at all shocked if Markstrom ends up in NJ, in fact I'd say it's likely.
It was expected Vanecek would have been going to Calgary in any deal, wasn't it? But taking Allen back instead would make sense as he's probably a better mentor given his experience working with other young goalies

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It was expected Vanecek would have been going to Calgary in any deal, wasn't it? But taking Allen back instead would make sense as he's probably a better mentor given his experience working with other young goalies
I think Calgary was viewing him as a cap dump so they wanted extra to add him, with him being taken out of the equation it could actually lower the return slightly. I think Fitz overplayed his hand in the beginning and Conroy was looking to take advantage of the fact that Fitz only seemed to have eyes for Markstrom.

Now that NJ can comfortably take the full hit, it likely makes the deal a lot easier to make.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Calgary was viewing him as a cap dump so they wanted extra to add him, with him being taken out of the equation it could actually lower the return slightly. I think Fitz overplayed his hand in the beginning and Conroy was looking to take advantage of the fact that Fitz only seemed to have eyes for Markstrom.

Now that NJ can comfortably take the full hit, it likely makes the deal a lot easier to make.
Apparently Fitz ain't too happy :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think that was a shot at you guys, lol. Our trade with you guys for Markstrom was virtually at the finish line. It might've been more of a shot at Saros/Nashville
I think it was all the teams with goalies. Dreger was certain that it'd take Mercer and a high pick for the Flames to trade Markstrom, so I think all the asks were extremely high.

Even look at the deal you made for Allen, the Devil's paid almost as much as the Jets did for Toffoli

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think it was all the teams with goalies. Dreger was certain that it'd take Mercer and a high pick for the Flames to trade Markstrom, so I think all the asks were extremely high.

Even look at the deal you made for Allen, the Devil's paid almost as much as the Jets did for Toffoli

Allen is probably gonna be their backup most likely so it was a player with control v upcoming UFA, that's gonna make the return different.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Dreger and whoever requested that is insane Mercer and a first.....I think that was more in line for a Saros.....They will get less too....Goalies are tricky....

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think Fitz and Conroy have an agreement in principle on trade for Markstrom this offseason. He sounded like he was bursting to say it during his presser. This way Calgary keeps Markstrom for the playoff run.

Apparently Fitz ain't too happy :laugh:

He was 100% talking about Trotz.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The biggest problem with the goalie market here was you had teams competing for playoffs. If these teams are going to say to their fans and players, "Alright, we are going to trade our top goalie because we need assets beyond this year, and this might take us out of the playoff race", then they're going to want to get the most they can for choosing that path. It has to be worth getting a flat tire on their playoff race.

You had Nashville, Flames, and Boston all with a goalie in the market (reportedly). To get one of those big names prior to the offseason is going to be a massive trade. It won't be a fair trade. It's unfortunate but I think in the offseason some of those asking prices will come down and teams will make choices with less risk than the current standings leading up to playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad