Speculation: Dreger: Detroit are eager to make a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Just wait until Babcock gets his hands on Sproul and wants him to not use any of his gifts, I think only then will people truly riot. Should Marchenko come up he is another guy dripping in offensive talent, we will see if he lets any of these guys have a big shot. The fact DeKeyser is getting that role worries me, he really should never play on the PP in this league, sure he could grow to be serviceable there, but it just isn't something he should have a future in with this organization.

I guess my point is that while these guys absolutely should play on the PP, players 'dripping with offensive talent' should be able to show out at even strength as well.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I guess my point is that while these guys absolutely should play on the PP, players 'dripping with offensive talent' should be able to show out at even strength as well.
Yeah, I'm not sure Smith's handling is a good predictor of Sproul or Marchenko's. Smith has yet to find time in his busy schedule to make offense happen.

The other thing that works against Smith on the PP is that he doesn't have a very good shot and isn't a great passer. He has a very individualistic set of skills for a defenseman. It's not surprising to me that it's holding him back. I mean, it's clear that he wants to skate the puck. but he never uses that tool for anything other than trying to deke straight to the net so he can score himself. He never takes the puck wide and tries to find somebody else. He rarely sneaks up on the play like he could for a backdoor play. He's like the young Alex Ovechkin of offensive defensemen: so unsubtle that it's painful.

Last edited:

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
I sure hope Tatar gets moved. I don't believe there's a single other team in the NHL where he would get less opportunities.

RedWingsNow*

It's both, Newsy. It's not one or the other, it's everything combined. Don't give the players a free pass because you think Holland and Babcock aren't doing their job.

I think Holland and Babcock aren't doing a good job, but neither are the players. And please, we talk about all of that other stuff I bolded.

I'm not giving players a free pass.
I'm the last guy to give players a free pass. I started the Hot Seat thread and put Kindl and Smith on one.
But everything is relative.
Weiss and Franzen are paid to be key players (Throw Franzen's cap hit out the window, he's paid to do more,)

If our second line forwards and 2nd PP unit forwards were productive, we wouldn't be talking about why Kind has 2 points instead of 4 points.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Here is a fun one, Mike Babcock's leading defensive scorers in Anaheim.

2002-2003

Niclas Havelid 82 games 33 points
Keith Carney 81 games 22 points

*Sandis Ozolins one of the most offense only D-man think Yandle since I started watching Hockey did have 18 points in 31 games, but he is like Kronwall here, usurping huge PP numbers.

2003-04

Niclas Havelid 79 games 26 points
Vitali Vishnevski 73 games 16 points

Ozolins had 16 points in 36 games that season. By the way the Forwards on these teams including Fedorov (the leading scorer this season with just 65 points in 80 games) also have incredibly low scoring averages.

Three forwards hitting the 50 point threshold in each season. Oates finally falls off after being a point a game player up until this season, call it father time with what happened in Edmonton the next year, but interesting no? Fedorov's worst offensive season in the NHL to that point.

This is what happens when Babcock plays his hockey, talk about talent levels talk about what you want, but the coach and his system does play a factor. Rafalski and Lidstrom have hidden this, but he does not help D-man score that isn't how he wants to play and he has now decided this is how we are going to scrap a record out. judge our young guys all you want, this is the future, this is a part of why he was removed in Anaheim.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?year0=2003&status=stats&team=1580
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1580&year0=2004&status=stats

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not giving players a free pass.
I'm the last guy to give players a free pass. I started the Hot Seat thread and put Kindl and Smith on one.
But everything is relative.
Weiss and Franzen are paid to be key players (Throw Franzen's cap hit out the window, he's paid to do more,)

If our second line forwards and 2nd PP unit forwards were productive, we wouldn't be talking about why Kind has 2 points instead of 4 points.

He's only paid $1 million more than his cap hit. Just saying.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
i say we trade tatar n smith n a package deal for someone i wish we could have a two way center like kopitar on the wings he would flurish here with our style of play id do smith tatar franzen 1st, and extra to pull it off maybe a mantha to throw in the mix as well

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i say we trade tatar n smith n a package deal for someone i wish we could have a two way center like kopitar on the wings he would flurish here with our style of play id do smith tatar franzen 1st, and extra to pull it off maybe a mantha to throw in the mix as well

LA says no, you don't trade a player of his caliber for that, by the way Kopitar is in one of the most horrific goal scoring slumps of any star players in the league. One of my favorites, but I fear what he would do with this supporting cast, his one in LA is much better.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Which is only $1.6M less than Pavel.

So much wrong with your line of reasoning. The point is he isn't getting paid like a superstar (neither is Datsyuk). His criticism is legitimate enough without you having to make up ridiculous reasons.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
as per Malik:

Sooner than later? More than 10% of the season is already gone.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the deadline for Holland to act isn't the end of the season, but the trade deadline. After that deadline, he can't make room if he hasn't already and Nyquist is stuck.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
LA says no, you don't trade a player of his caliber for that, by the way Kopitar is in one of the most horrific goal scoring slumps of any star players in the league. One of my favorites, but I fear what he would do with this supporting cast, his one in LA is much better.

would the wings have anything to trade to the kings for him hes my second favorite player and i know hes in a slump but is their anyway we could trade for him n make him our number 2 center for now and number 1 once hank n dats are gone?

RedWingsNow*

So much wrong with your line of reasoning. The point is he isn't getting paid like a superstar (neither is Datsyuk). His criticism is legitimate enough without you having to make up ridiculous reasons.

What the hell?

What's wrong with my line of reasoning.

Where have i "made up up" ridiculous reasoning?

Franzen was paid to $44M to be a chump.
He was paid to be reliable, hard working scorer.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
would the wings have anything to trade to the kings for him hes my second favorite player and i know hes in a slump but is their anyway we could trade for him n make him our number 2 center for now and number 1 once hank n dats are gone?

The Wings have jack **** to offer right now. All their veterans sans Hank, Datsyuk, and Kronwall are underperforming (and have been for some time now) and none of their prospects have gotten the opportunities at the NHL level to make any team comfortable in trading for them. And of course, the guy that, according to Holland, every NHL GM wanted to get their hands on during trade talks a while back has been injured for so long that his value is negligible.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
The Wings have jack **** to offer right now. All their veterans sans Hank, Datsyuk, and Kronwall are underperforming (and have been for some time now) and none of their prospects have gotten the opportunities at the NHL level to make any team comfortable in trading for them. And of course, the guy that, according to Holland, every NHL GM wanted to get their hands on during trade talks a while back has been injured for so long that his value is negligible.

whos that guy?

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Weiss hasn't been a great forechecker. Tatar still has something to learn about it. Alfredsson is tenacious but doesn't have the speed. This is a team playing the wrong style.

Which style is the right one with these guys? Our roster is now such a collection of spare parts that we don't have the horses to play either dump and chase or puck possession effectively. We have no identity.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sooner than later? More than 10% of the season is already gone.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the deadline for Holland to act isn't the end of the season, but the trade deadline. After that deadline, he can't make room if he hasn't already and Nyquist is stuck.
I think the point of the "sooner than later" thing is, well, that it's soon.

Apparently Helm isn't far out. He's going out west with the team for Wednesday's western road trip. Rumor is he'll have his debut there.

At the moment, Helm's return is loosely attached to the trip to western Canada.

Plus Eaves is probably going to be off LTIR for Saturday. So we should look for a move next week, I'd think. I'd think Holland would try to make room for Nyquist then.

edit: Quote from interview with Holland: if (Helm) doesn't play Wednesday (against Vancouver), we're looking for him to play Friday (against Calgary).

Interview here. https://soundcloud.com/georgeums/ken-holland-on-detroit-sports

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
men are judged by their actions not by their words

hollands words are as meaningless as me saying i am the GM of the DRW

holland has no clue what he is doing anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events