Speculation: Dreger: Detroit are eager to make a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Trade discussions between NHL clubs are starting to pick up.

The Detroit Red Wings are among the teams believed to be eager to make a move.

The Wings need to create some cap space and sources say Jordin Tootoo is in play.

Detroit would like to call up Gustav Nyquist from the AHL, but don't have the cap room to make it happen.

Tootoo makes $1.9 mill. this season and is valued by some teams because of his grit.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=434695

So they want Nyquist after all eh?

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Yep, this is the time to deal, when you're over a barrel because you signed three guys too many and everyone knows you're desperate. Great deals a-comin'. :laugh:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
YET WE HAD ROOM FOR CLEARY.

Just so much uuuuuugggghhhhh.

Always makes my head spin, thinking that having guys who can't score goals and yet are hard on the puck will somehow help us to score more goals. And if the only way for a guy to score goals is to have him on the point of the 2nd PP unit...you're in trouble.

Still shaking my head over last year's move to bring in Samuelsson and this year's move to bring back Cleary.

I'm just hoping they don't get any stupid ideas, this summer, when three contracts in particular are up. We MUST move to our youth or else be forever relegated to 1st/2nd round playoff exits.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Please, please, please take our junk.

-Holland

This is the biggest problem.

Every other GM in the league knows Holland is in trouble. They know he needs to unload guys. They practically see it as them doing him a favor. And they can take him to the cleaners for it.

He painted himself into a corner with this one.

Frk it said:
Talk is cheap.

Let's see if they mean it, or they're writing another check they can't cash.
I 100% believe that management wants to trade players away and bring up Nyquist.

The real question is is Holland willing to pay the price. Because I don't suspect he's going to really like any deal he gets offered. None of the pieces he wants to move is a "needed" piece for the teams out there. No one wants Sammy at all. Cleary? Pleeeease. Tootoo/Eaves? Sure, they will be wanted, but they aren't players teams are scrambling over. No one is in a hurry to buy what he's selling. So he's going to have to keep lowering his price.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Trading Tootoo would be a huge mistake. I hope his salary scares off other teams. And those other GM's make Kenny pay for his mistakes.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Trading Tootoo would be a huge mistake. I hope his salary scares off other teams. And those other GM's make Kenny pay for his mistakes.

Yeah, screw Holland trying to make positive changes to the roster! I want the whole team and their fans to suffer because I don't like Holland's recent choices!

I'm sorry, but I would for sure trade Tootoo (a guy who got a lot of undeserved flak last season) if it meant we got something in return and it meant Nyquist got a regular spot in the lineup. That in itself is a big upgrade.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Looks like Holland really screwed up by night buying out Tootoo but he had a few things going against him.

1. He thought he could trade him for an asset, nope.

2. He just signed him, so it would look really bad to buy him out.

Regardless, it looks bad. Especially for a guy who barely plays and will never be used in the playoffs.

f1seb

Apr 7, 2007
If the front office gets rid of Tootoo, his new team will dress him the next time they play us and he'll single handedly take this team apart.

He'll deliver bonecrushing checks, scare the living crap out of the entire team, and then he'll beat the gray out of Drew Miller's head.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If the front office gets rid of Tootoo, his new team will dress him the next time they play us and he'll single handedly take this team apart.

He'll deliver bonecrushing checks, scare the living crap out of the entire team, and then he'll beat the gray out of Dew Miller's head.

He will singlehandedly take the team apart with his whopping 10-13 minutes of ice time?

I can imagine.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Why do we want to get rid of Tootoo, someone that gives an added dimension to the team and actually has a positive impact, when we could get rid of a player that does absolutely nothing positive for the team and actually has a negative impact when on the ice in Cleary?

The fact that we signed Cleary over the summer when we clearly already had too many forwards absolutely boggles my mind... Holland did this to himself, and it's pure stupidity.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why do we want to get rid of Tootoo, someone that gives an added dimension to the team and actually has a positive impact, when we could get rid of a player that does absolutely nothing positive for the team and actually has a negative impact when on the ice in Cleary?

The fact that we signed Cleary over the summer when we clearly already had too many forwards absolutely boggles my mind... Holland did this to himself, and it's pure stupidity.

The only reason to get rid of Tootoo is because he is the only one we can get rid of. Like you said, Cleary is worthless. Thus, no team would take him even if we wanted to deal. Likewise, who wants Sammy even if he were to waive his NTC? Injury prone Eaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad