TSN: Dreger and Mckenzie's Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Doughty hasn't exactly been studly recently.

Subban's been so much better than him for the past year it's not even funny. And I'm a big fan of Doughty.

Per TSN:

One Last Audition

Montreal Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban will try to impress Steve Yzerman and Hockey Canada one more time tonight as the Habs host the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre in the final game before Canada announces its Olympic roster on Tuesday.

Right, because a defenseman with 33 points in 43 games (7 goals and 26 assists), with a plus minus rating of +13 still has to ****ing impress Team Canada just in case he has to make room for Dan Boyle and his 19 points in 36 games with a plus minus rating of -1 on the 5th best team in the league.

Last edited:

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I'd be philospetical about Subban seen as a 7 for team Canada. Its how it always is with him, going into something big (Team Canada, playoffs etc.) he gets discounted for some bs reason. He shows up and is awesome and moves up in everyones estimation and ends up touted.

Then months later everyone forgets that he is a force of nature and the cycle can start all over again.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Subban's been so much better than him for the past year it's not even funny. And I'm a big fan of Doughty.

Per TSN:

One Last Audition

Montreal Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban will try to impress Steve Yzerman and Hockey Canada one more time tonight as the Habs host the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre in the final game before Canada announces its Olympic roster on Tuesday.

Right, because a defenseman with 33 points in 43 games (7 goals and 26 assists), with a plus minus rating of +13 still has to ****ing impress Team Canada just in case he has to make room for Dan Boyle and his 19 points in 36 games with a plus minus rating of -1 on the 5th best team in the league.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: What a joke

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 39m

By the way, @TSNBobMcKenzie said on @TSNDrive that at no time during the process has Hockey Canada considered P.K. Subban a top-6 defenceman

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

Per TSN:

One Last Audition

TSN has been unmitigated garbage for awhile now; if Subban was on the Leafs, they'd be frothing at the mouth about him being #7, and the article would look something like

Establishing his Role

Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman P.K. Subban will try to make his last push to lock up the #3 spot with an impressive performance for Steve Yzerman and Hockey Canada tonight as the Leafs host the Florida Panthers at the Air Canada Centre in the final game before Canada announces its Olympic roster on Tuesday. The reigning Norris Trophy winner has picked up right where he left off last season, coming in 3rd on the Maple Leafs in scoring, behind only 52 point (and fellow Olympian) Phil Kessel and young sensation Nazim Kadri, and sporting an impressive +13 rating, showing that his defensive acumen isn't affected by offensive flair. Whether he makes the team at the #3 or #4 spot though, one thing is for sure, Subban's passion for hockey will be just as evident when he dons the red-and-white maple leaf for Team Canada in Sochi, as it is when he done the blue-and-white Maple Leaf for Canada's Team in the NHL

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'm to the point where I hope they don't pick PK and Luongo plays every game. I still want Canada to win, but I won't feel as bad if they flame out.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
They dont deserve him. Almost hope they dont select him so he wont have to put up with all their BS.

tumblr_llz089OXYD1qfbpgu.gif

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Marleau is terrible. If USA is going with a pace game, we can't afford having a guy who plays with zero urgency. If we are going with a puck possession game vs USA's puck pursuit/counter game, then it will be guys like Thornton, Getzlaf, Perry, Nash, etc. on the team. Even if it's on big ice.

And if that's true, he has to go with PK to add offense in case something like 1998 happens again.

Marleau is far from terrible. If he hits one of his grooves at the olympics then he has the potential put a lot of pucks in the net. I guess it's a case of which player will you get. I would prefer Thornton but I just don't see a spot for him at centre. I just think Marleau is a waaaay better option than Rick Nash.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
PK is going to make the team 100% And if he is better than some of the other locks like you are all saying, (I agree) then he will have no problem taking a top 6 spot. So why is everyone freaking out over nothing?

PK Subban and Carey Price are on team Canada and it's going to be ****ing awesome. Chill.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
You get the feeling that TC management is looking for reasons to keep Nash and looking for reasons to snub Subban. Obviously not related at all given they don't play the same position, but it just goes to show the biases they have behind the scenes. One player can win the trophy for best player at his position and pick up where he left off the following season and be considered on the outside looking in. The other can fall off the face of the Earth and still have himself penciled into the starting lineup.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis
Duchene - Tavares - Giroux
Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Toews - Benn
Couture - Carter

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Subban
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Boyle

Price
Luongo
Harding

Was that so hard?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs have a lineup that has many very talented players from various countries. The Olympics, the largest stage for athlete's worldwide, the only problem being the IIOC comes together every four years. This creates a turbulent atmosphere for the hockey players, they come together to represent their countries. Meanwhile the IIOC is looking to the games as a money generating event to line their pockets, who knew!:laugh:

Whether or not our players (Habs) are there or not, the likelihood of the Russian team being in the Gold Medal game seems assured in Sochi. That leaves one opening and officiating being what it has been in previous Olympics, don't be surprised if Team USA or Team Canada aren't in the Final.

My opinion is that if TC plays Team USA at some point then that's the game I want to watch, I'll probably watch them all. The best game will probably be TC/TUSA, followed by T.Sweden/ T.Finland, Team Russia is no longer the hockey power it once was so just give them the Gold. Then have a true tournament, with outstanding hockey and no power struggles, games for the fans to enjoy without the BS.:nod:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Marleau is far from terrible. If he hits one of his grooves at the olympics then he has the potential put a lot of pucks in the net. I guess it's a case of which player will you get. I would prefer Thornton but I just don't see a spot for him at centre. I just think Marleau is a waaaay better option than Rick Nash.

I lived in Northern California for 15 years. I know all about those guys. And we all saw them at the last Olympics where they did squat and floated all over the ice.

NO chance in hell Yzerman makes the same mistake.

If Marleau played in Montreal, his career would have been over a long time ago.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Just finished looking at the 2010 Gold Medal Game. This is what we had on the ice on the small rink (with TSN's 2014 picks to the right):

Staal-Crosby-Iginla (Logan Couture - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos)
Morrow-Getzlaf-Perry (PP1) (Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry)
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau (PP2) (Matt Duchene - Ryan Getzlaf - Claude Giroux)
Nash-Toews-Richards (Patrick Sharp - John Tavares - Rick Nash)
Bergeron (Patrice Bergeron - Martin St. Louis)

Niedermayer-Weber/Boyle (Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty)
Pronger-Boyle (Jay Bouwmeester - Shea Weber)
Keith-Seabrook/Doughty (Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Alex Pietrangelo)
(spares 2014: Dan Boyle (R) - P.K. Subban)

Pronger-Neidermayer (PP1) (Subban-Doughty?...how could they pass up on this??)
Boyle/Keith-Weber (PP2) (Keith-Weber?)

Luongo (Price)
Brodeur (Luongo-Smith)

Seems like a no-brainer that the following players will be back:

Staal-Crosby-?
-Toews- (power vs power "checking line" - add 2way players to wings)
?-Getzlaf-Perry (destroyed the Russians in the semis)
(he went with the San Jose guys for extra scoring last time, so will probably go with scorers on the fourth line no doubt)

Keith-Weber
-Doughty

Luongo

Other than that... it's open

Last edited:

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
I lived in Northern California for 15 years. I know all about those guys. And we all saw them at the last Olympics where they did squat and floated all over the ice.

If it was up to me I'd just send the young guys in Seguin, Benn, Couture, Duchene and Hall. I just don't see TC picking all those guys. They love guys with olympic experience and you know at least one of Marleau, Thornton and Nash will be on the team. I just think Marleau is the best fit.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 39m

By the way, @TSNBobMcKenzie said on @TSNDrive that at no time during the process has Hockey Canada considered P.K. Subban a top-6 defenceman

I'm starting to get tired of Bob McKenzie. His 'insider' status must be at an end, because he doesn't get a lot of info (rather rumours) that is unique to him. We all know Dredger is a joke, so I'm not putting a lot of stock into what Bob reports these days.

He's turned into a gossip queen.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to get tired of Bob McKenzie. His 'insider' status must be at an end, because he doesn't get a lot of info (rather rumours) that is unique to him. We all know Dredger is a joke, so I'm not putting a lot of stock into what Bob reports these days.

He's turned into a gossip queen.
It's likely true. I doubt they've ever considered PK as a Top-6 defenseman for this Olympics.

He'll move up when the tournament starts, but for the first few games, he'll be #7 or #8.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Clearly you don't watch a whole lot of hockey. Marleau is an extremely good player, and quite honestly deserves a spot on TC. I've been a Sharks fan since I was a child, FWIW. Marleau played quite well last Olympics - you're thinking of Thornton and Heatley. But your ignorant statement just affirms my previous assertion about you not watching hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad