TSN: Dreger and Mckenzie's Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Usual Team Canada neanderthal approach. Take some physically punishing team to a finesse tournament, then complain something is wrong with our hockey program when we lose. If Rick Nash is on this team before St Louis, I'll vomit. Half this team is only there because they are 'Hockey Canada's Boys' , good or bad. They make the team no matter what.
What are you smoking?? Exactly who on this team is a neanderthal that lacks finesse? Every forward on that list is highly skilled.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
This is the team I would go with:

Duchene - Crosby - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews - St. Louis
Benn - Tavares - Seguin
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
Bergeron - Giroux

Keith - Seabrook
Weber - Subban
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Doughty

Price
Luongo
Harding

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
The Best D in the nation can't play their off-side? K.
I'm pretty sure team Canada had lines with centers playing on the wings.

Also Subban is number three in scoring on D. Only Canadian with more points is Keith who gets to play on a stacked team. Karlsson has more points than Subban but is horrid on +/- but no way will Sweden leave off an offensive power like Karlsson. It is obvious if Subban is not in top 6 Canada is dumber than a box of rocks.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Still don't understand how the Norris winner and one of the 2nd Canadian leading scorer is still a question mark and behind weaker Dmen. Makes no sense at all.

It really is mind numbing...anyone who thinks Shea Weber or Jay Bouwmeester are better defensmen then PK Subban, just isn't watching the game.

It's amazing how much perception influences people's frame of mind...

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Really?? Nash?? Get him off the team ASAP!

My team!

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
Duchene - Toews - Sharp
Benn - Tavares - St.Louis
Bergeron - Giroux

Keith - Seabrook
Subban - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Doughty

Price
Luongo
Smith

Past their Prime (Don't Want)

Rick Nash
Patrick Marleau
Joe Thornton
Eric Staal

2018 Olympics???

Tyler Seguin
Jordan Eberle
Logan Couture
Jeff Skinner

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'm Canadian down to the core, but if they don't at least name Subban to team Canada I will be extremely disgusted. Vlasic? Bouwmeester? HAMHUIS? Come on guys. Get over your "left shot, right shot" BS and pick the 6 best D, period. You're picking like 6 C's and putting them on the wing, will it really be that hard for the D to adjust?

I don't envy Steve Yzerman having to choose this team but whether or not Subban should be on it shouldn't even be a question at all.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I love how they keep giving reasons why PK might not make the team - this a new one, will he be OK with only being a 7th or 8th d man? hahaha good question Dreger. He'll probably make a huge scene, call a press conference and demand to be made captain and 1st pairing d man or he won't go.

This is simply what Dreger does. He says something sensational, then says it's probably not true, then says we'll just have to see...

It's all a ploy to get people talking and reading. Would Subban be OK with being a 7th or 8th d man? I think he'd be a great fit for that, though he'll likely work his way up the chart. Why on EARTH would he not be ok with that?

Dreger is the worst. The Jack Todd of TSN.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
It really is mind numbing...anyone who thinks Shea Weber or Jay Bouwmeester are better defensmen then PK Subban, just isn't watching the game.

It's amazing how much perception influences people's frame of mind...

While I agree that Subban earned his spot on the team and that he is better than some of the dmen mentioned to be picked before him, I totally disagree that he is better than Shea Weber. And imo anyone who think otherwise "just isn't watching the game".

Although losing Suter as his d partner may have hurt his numbers a bit, anyone who watch enough of Weber know he is still a top tier shut down guy. Add that to the fact that he's still putting up very good offensive numbers, on pace for 20 goals and over 50 points, then this makes him still one of the better defenceman in the league and a lock for Team Canada.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How Rick Nash is a lock is just plain stupid. He doesn't belong there and I hope he doesn't make the team. There are other guys who deserve it more. I'd take Thornton on the wings WAY MORE than I'd have Nash. And that's just one guy. And Nash ahead of St-Louis? What? For real?

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I love how they keep giving reasons why PK might not make the team - this a new one, will he be OK with only being a 7th or 8th d man? hahaha good question Dreger. He'll probably make a huge scene, call a press conference and demand to be made captain and 1st pairing d man or he won't go.

This is simply what Dreger does. He says something sensational, then says it's probably not true, then says we'll just have to see...

It's all a ploy to get people talking and reading. Would Subban be OK with being a 7th or 8th d man? I think he'd be a great fit for that, though he'll likely work his way up the chart. Why on EARTH would he not be ok with that?

Dreger is the worst. The Jack Todd of TSN.

Seriously Dreger is awful in so many ways.

I don't see how PK Subban would be pissed about being a 7th or 8th D in the Olympics. Honestly, do people think PK is some spoiled rich kid?

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...nada-failed-world-juniors-141929737--nhl.html

"Most pundits seem to have Chris Kunitz on the team despite the fact that, as Thomas Drance pointed out the other day, he's the Jesse Pinkman to Sidney Crosby's Walter White. That means leaving home a player like Taylor Hall — who wasn't even on Hockey Night in Canada's assuredly well-informed list of “bubble” guys over the weekend — despite the fact that his points per game from 2011-12 to present is first among NHL left wings from any country. They've obviously very good, but Evgeni Malkin they are not. Likewise, things are starting to look pretty iffy for PK Subban — the reigning Norris Trophy winner, mind you — to stay home, while someone like Johnny Boychuk of all people is apparently also being considered on his same level.
The argument put forth in to refute disbelievers who wanted to scream in the streets about these kinds of decisions, particularly following recent tournament results, was 34 years old, harkening back to Herb Brooks's old philosophy. You don't want a roster of “the best players,” you want a roster of “the right players.”
The lesson we should take from this the Turin Olympics, and recent World Junior results, is that as “the world catches up” to the sleepy giants of North America, the best players, in fact, ARE the right players. If you score enough goals, you can't screw it up. Everyone else figured that out already."

We're not the only ones thinking Canada is lost when it comes to picking players.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
While I agree that Subban earned his spot on the team and that he is better than some of the dmen mentioned to be picked before him, I totally disagree that he is better than Shea Weber. And imo anyone who think otherwise "just isn't watching the game".

Although losing Suter as his d partner may have hurt his numbers a bit, anyone who watch enough of Weber know he is still a top tier shut down guy. Add that to the fact that he's still putting up very good offensive numbers, on pace for 20 goals and over 50 points, then this makes him still one of the better defenceman in the league and a lock for Team Canada.
Shea Weber: 40 GP, 10 G 17 A, 27 P, -13
PK Subban: 43 GP, 7 G, 26 A, 33 P, +13

Compare their stats and then read the bolded part of your quote. What makes Weber better than Subban?

IMO, anyone who watches enough of Subban would say he's a "lock" for team Canada as well, on par with Weber and , contrary to your opinion, possibly even better. The stats speak for themselves.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Ya Weber's a beast, best shut down d in the league imo.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...nada-failed-world-juniors-141929737--nhl.html

"Most pundits seem to have Chris Kunitz on the team despite the fact that, as Thomas Drance pointed out the other day, he's the Jesse Pinkman to Sidney Crosby's Walter White. That means leaving home a player like Taylor Hall — who wasn't even on Hockey Night in Canada's assuredly well-informed list of “bubble†guys over the weekend — despite the fact that his points per game from 2011-12 to present is first among NHL left wings from any country. They've obviously very good, but Evgeni Malkin they are not. Likewise, things are starting to look pretty iffy for PK Subban — the reigning Norris Trophy winner, mind you — to stay home, while someone like Johnny Boychuk of all people is apparently also being considered on his same level.
The argument put forth in to refute disbelievers who wanted to scream in the streets about these kinds of decisions, particularly following recent tournament results, was 34 years old, harkening back to Herb Brooks's old philosophy. You don't want a roster of “the best players,†you want a roster of “the right players.â€
The lesson we should take from this the Turin Olympics, and recent World Junior results, is that as “the world catches up†to the sleepy giants of North America, the best players, in fact, ARE the right players. If you score enough goals, you can't screw it up. Everyone else figured that out already."

Were not the only ones thinking Canada is lost when it comes to picking players.

I get the feeling that team Canada places way too much stock in seniority/leadership roles. Practically every guy they pick is a leader, they don't need to pick even more older players instead of young players just because of experience. Pick the best players right now and forget about what a player has done for you in the past.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

Compare their stats and then read the bolded part of your quote. What makes Weber better than Subban?

IMO, anyone who watches enough of Subban would say he's a "lock" for team Canada as well, on par with Weber and , contrary to your opinion, possibly even better. The stats speak for themselves.

His point was BEYOND numbers, which are still good, he's a great shutdown d man. At the last Olympics he was arguably the best d man on the team, along with Keith and Doughty. He will be there for sure.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
How Rick Nash is a lock is just plain stupid. He doesn't belong there and I hope he doesn't make the team. There are other guys who deserve it more. I'd take Thornton on the wings WAY MORE than I'd have Nash. And that's just one guy. And Nash ahead of St-Louis? What? For real?

Well I wouldn't take Thornton either, but I agree with you...Nash is Hockey Canada's golden boy because of all the time he put in at the Worlds when Columbus was missing the playoffs year after year, but I see no reason why he should be anything close to a lock this year based on on-ice performance.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010

Seriously, you're gonna argue my comment by putting up their offensive numbers? I never said Subban wasn't a better offensive dman, but the gap between their defensive talents far exceeds the gap between their offensive skills.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
His point was BEYOND numbers, which are still good, he's a great shutdown d man. At the last Olympics he was arguably the best d man on the team, along with Keith and Doughty. He will be there for sure.
Don't get me wrong, he's a great D man and yes, he does deserve to be on the team. But the -13 isn't exactly the best plus/minus going. And yes, I know all of the semantics surrounding plus/minus about how it can be unreliable and isn't a great stat, etc. But these guys play the exact same type of minutes against the exact same kind of opposition every night. Both play similar roles on their respective teams. The fact that Weber is a LOCK based on what he's done this year, and Subban isn't based on what he's done last year with the Norris winning season, and this year with those numbers is absolute bull.

All I'm trying to say.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Where's the Joe Thornton love? Doesn't fit the big ice?

He was pretty bad last Olympics despite the fact he was given his usual linemates (Marleau and Heatley) and ample PP time.

Canada has centres up the wazoo, there is no need for Thornton.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Well I wouldn't take Thornton either, but I agree with you...Nash is Hockey Canada's golden boy because of all the time he put in at the Worlds when Columbus was missing the playoffs year after year, but I see no reason why he should be anything close to a lock this year based on on-ice performance.

Yeah, he's there because of his international experience. He's always been good at these tournaments, even if it means taking on a checking role, like he did last Olympics.

He's not had a great year, but he's a big guy with good wheels for the big ice and he's shown he can play up and down a lineup. I'd like to see St Louis there as well though

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah, he's there because of his international experience. He's always been good at these tournaments, even if it means taking on a checking role, like he did last Olympics.

He's not had a great year, but he's a big guy with good wheels for the big ice and he's shown he can play up and down a lineup. I'd like to see St Louis there as well though

I'd honestly rather take a chance with Jeff Carter before Nash.

I'm sick of Canada catering to players that have played internationally before. It killed the team in Turin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad