Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is a bad take! Yikes

This isn't about the emergence of rookies; the OP you're responding to didn't even mention it. What does the emergence of Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes have to do with the terrible contracts Benning signed?

All of these contracts, the moment they were signed were terrible. Young players coming up doesn't change a thing. Wasting cap space on crappy players with always hinder a team. For a team to be successful in today's NHL, players have to play above their cap hit.

One can hate on the signings at the time because they created the current cap crunch.

Name another team with worse cap management? The Canuck's best players are being paid the least. There's about half a dozen overpaid players. The team is hardly competitive. This is comedically bad management.
It's only bad management when you lose one or more of those great players when its time to pay them, like St.Louis adding Faulk and losing Pietrangelo over it. So far that hasn't happened in Vancouver. We'll see the fate of Boeser for instance but there is still time to make everything work. Even another bridge to wait out Eriksson

Reactions: MakoSlade

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This is a bad take! Yikes

This isn't about the emergence of rookies; the OP you're responding to didn't even mention it. What does the emergence of Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes have to do with the terrible contracts Benning signed?

All of these contracts, the moment they were signed were terrible. Young players coming up doesn't change a thing. Wasting cap space on crappy players with always hinder a team. For a team to be successful in today's NHL, players have to play above their cap hit.

One can hate on the signings at the time because they created the current cap crunch.

Name another team with worse cap management? The Canuck's best players are being paid the least. There's about half a dozen overpaid players. The team is hardly competitive. This is comedically bad management.

I'm on the fence with "wasting cap" space. I made a similar note in the 'bad contracts' thread about the Leafs, that every team has at least one bad contract. I was told this was a false premise, but I think it's valid probability wise. I agree with you that all of those contracts were bad, but I think bad contracts are a result of the way each franchises manage their cap, and the result on aggregate cap league wide.

The majority of teams manage cap like a short term prepaid expense, rather than a long term investment. IMO it has to do with most GMs not having a long term shelf life, and the cap is fixed in the short term. While leaving cap space might be prudent to manage future liabilities, excess cap space can't be carried over to future years. There is also pressure on GMs of teams that don't have an internal limit, to spend to the cap. Fans/media can get pretty impatient with a GM when he's floating 8m of cap space and not trying to or able to sign guys like Piet or Hall, so filling out cap space gives a bit of an illusion of trying to win. When you add it all up, and most teams have an incentive to spend to or near the cap, you get a league wide cap figure above the midpoint, so teams are also recovering some of their cash back through escrow. It makes cap crunches on most teams kind of inevitable, and so you end up with over-inflated contracts sprinkled around each team, in an effort to max short term spending to use available space, with the possibility of getting cash back each year. I'd argue situations like Vancouver and Edmonton are more representative of NHL management than Colorado.

But yes, it does suck when the kids need to be paid, unfortunately that's just a consequence of managing fixed resources over different time frames, compounded by forecast risk related to events like Covid.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
It's only bad management when you lose one or more of those great players when its time to pay them, like St.Louis adding Faulk and losing Pietrangelo over it. So far that hasn't happened in Vancouver. We'll see the fate of Boeser for instance but there is still time to make everything work. Even another bridge to wait out Eriksson

Agreed, but it's already begun. Just lost Markstrom, Tanev, and some depth. Those two are pretty big casualties for a team wanting to compete now.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
ide bet theylet peiterangelo walk because they dont think he can maintain this level for anywhere near 7 years .mean while krug has like 250 fewer games on the clock while also plays a game that adds up to less abuse than pieterangelo takes = logic dictates krug has more good seasons in him

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'd trade Eriksson for the three of them.

Don't know if that helps the Habs too much (but he's gone in 2 years).

Cap out: 6.65
Cap in: 6.00 +2 roster spot to fill

Makes no sense at all, especially in the context of getting Hoffman. It was pretty clear the goal was to trade them away while getting as little salary back as possible.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
ide bet theylet peiterangelo walk because they dont think he can maintain this level for anywhere near 7 years .mean while krug has like 250 fewer games on the clock while also plays a game that adds up to less abuse than pieterangelo takes = logic dictates krug has more good seasons in him

I think the difference was St.Louis doesn't want to give him a NMC and Vegas was willing too. You did mention Krug plays a less abusive game, well I actually expect him to fill in for Pietreangelo which means he will be getting hard minutes, and he also doesn't have chara to protect him so opposing team will not be as scared to lay it out on him if the opportunity comes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Krug just isn’t a top pair guy

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Krug just isn’t a top pair guy
i realize this . but the problem for stlouis was giving pieterangelo 7 years , its my bet they figured hes too old ands played too many games for him to have 7 top seasons left in him and that the say last 3 he'd be a way lesser player with a huge cap hit . mean while krug a bit younger and essentially with 3 fewer seasons of abuse to his body makes them believe in 7 years he could still be a wise old o zone quarterback very beneficial to the offense . gms have gotten stung too many times giving oldish guys big long term contracts , shorter terms are going to be the new trend

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Krug, who is not fast or big, has a smaller margin for error physically.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Ya I want strawberry crepes in bed.
Now, this is beside the point and the Hoffs Q, but the point about strawberries isn't trivial. For starters, there's the question of big garden strawberries v small wild strawberries. Which one packs more taste and what kind?

Overall, is a sweet topping like crepe or just simpler whipped cream the good fit? Should you sugar up what isn't by taste dark like chocolate or bitter like limes?

Berries like strawberry are sweet and simple. Blackberries fit in too. If you support the flavor type you won't try to contradict it in the kitchen.

Lingonberry, a different story already. The go-with isn't dessert, it's more like veal or reindeer. A rarity like cloudberry, you really bring up your cook book.

Strawberry crepes, give me a break. There's a reason fighting is allowed in hockey.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think the difference was St.Louis doesn't want to give him a NMC and Vegas was willing too. You did mention Krug plays a less abusive game, well I actually expect him to fill in for Pietreangelo which means he will be getting hard minutes, and he also doesn't have chara to protect him so opposing team will not be as scared to lay it out on him if the opportunity comes.

You are correct that he wasn’t coming back without a NMC.

However, Parayko played the hard minutes, not Pietrangelo.

The Blues may not have Chara, but there’s several other guys on this team who’d drop em if someone tried to lay Krug out.

In regards to the main topic, I’d love if the Blues could swap out Bozak’s cap for Hoffman, but I doubt that happens.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Now, this is beside the point and the Hoffs Q, but the point about strawberries isn't trivial. For starters, there's the question of big garden strawberries v small wild strawberries. Which one packs more taste and what kind?

Overall, is a sweet topping like crepe or just simpler whipped cream the good fit? Should you sugar up what isn't by taste dark like chocolate or bitter like limes?

Berries like strawberry are sweet and simple. Blackberries fit in too. If you support the flavor type you won't try to contradict it in the kitchen.

Lingonberry, a different story already. The go-with isn't dessert, it's more like veal or reindeer. A rarity like cloudberry, you really bring up your cook book.

Strawberry crepes, give me a break. There's a reason fighting is allowed in hockey.

I swear I heard Pink Floyd doing Any Colour You Like while I read this.

Reactions: Stubu

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
You are going to be disappointed. Koko is so over rated it’s crazy.
I mean he did have 4 points in 10 games in the playoffs and did get 1 goal in his 13 game AHL stint. How could you expect anything less than domination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad