Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Canucks have to make a buy out in there next window for sure unless they can pull off a trade....

when is the next window?

The window is only open if there's an arbitration award greater than 4M for the Vancouver player. If not, then there's no buyout window. I believe that is correct but if not, I'm sure someone will correct me.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Unless Benning somehow magically hypnotizes a GM to take Sutter+Virtanen, it's not happening methinks. No way we move out cap.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Unless Benning somehow magically hypnotizes a GM to take Sutter+Virtanen, it's not happening methinks. No way we move out cap.

If we had to pay a 1st to get rid of Eriksson and Sutter so we can sign Mike Hoffman (perennial 30 goal scorer) to a discount, then so f***ing be it.

Hoffman/Schmidt are massive additions to this core, even losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli. And being rid of those two boat anchors means we can add another piece.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If we had to pay a 1st to get rid of Eriksson and Sutter so we can sign Mike Hoffman (perennial 30 goal scorer) to a discount, then so f***ing be it.

Hoffman/Schmidt are massive additions to this core, even losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli.
This would be great, and make the team better and the fans happy for sure. But the Canuck’s owner doesn’t appear to be too keen on buying out anyone right now. I think we might even see Baertchi in the lineup with Loui and Sutter as a line this coming season.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
The window is only open if there's an arbitration award greater than 4M for the Vancouver player. If not, then there's no buyout window. I believe that is correct but if not, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Incorrect. Once a contract is signed by a player in arbitration, the team can buy out a contract 48 hours after but that buyout must be for a player that has at least a $4 million cap hit. So you can't buyout Beagle for example but you could buyout Sutter or Eriksson if they want.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Bad take.

Could anyone have predicted the emergence of Boeser at the point of signing Sutter and Eriksson?

Could anyone have predicted the emergence of Pettersson at the point of signing Beagle and Roussel?

Could anyone have predicted the emergence of Quinn Hughes at the point of signing Tyler Myers?

At the time of the signings, these made perfect sense. GMs cannot count on rookies being Calder nominees in back to back to back years.

People can hate on the signings at the time, but no one can hate on the results of the current cap crunch.

This is a bad take! Yikes

This isn't about the emergence of rookies; the OP you're responding to didn't even mention it. What does the emergence of Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes have to do with the terrible contracts Benning signed?

All of these contracts, the moment they were signed were terrible. Young players coming up doesn't change a thing. Wasting cap space on crappy players with always hinder a team. For a team to be successful in today's NHL, players have to play above their cap hit.

One can hate on the signings at the time because they created the current cap crunch.

Name another team with worse cap management? The Canuck's best players are being paid the least. There's about half a dozen overpaid players. The team is hardly competitive. This is comedically bad management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad