Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I do not see top line skill set in Batherson nor Norris at this time. I suspect they could become top 6 players on the second line. Hopefully 2 first line forwards or 1 forward and 1 defenceman can be acquired in the 2020 draft followed by another top tier prospect in the 2021 draft. This team really needs an injection of top tier talent.

I think this is our best bet. Pencil in Bath and Norris as 2nd line guys, and set expectations to that. If one (or both) happen to surpass it, that's a bonus.

Unless you're looking at a top 3 type of pick, we should never pencil anyone in as a top line or first pairing player...it's puts way too much expectations on the kids, and as a fan, we'll usually end up disappointed. We need to set realistic goals for these kids...not pie in the eye fantasies.

Reactions: Cosmix and Blotto71

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So Stone has 385 points in 449 career games. For Batherson to be 80% of that, he'd need 308 points. He already has 19 points in 43 games played. So, in 406 games, he'd need 289 points which from here is a .71ppg pace or 58 points a season. I'm certainly hopeful that he's better than that offensively. I highly doubt he'll ever be the defensive player that Stone is but i am quite hopeful that he produces offensively at Stone's level

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Stone has 385 points in 449 career games. For Batherson to be 80% of that, he'd need 308 points. He already has 19 points in 43 games played. So, in 406 games, he'd need 289 points which from here is a .71ppg pace or 58 points a season. I'm certainly hopeful that he's better than that offensively. I highly doubt he'll ever be the defensive player that Stone is but i am quite hopeful that he produces offensively at Stone's level

I think Batherson becoming a career .71 pts per game player (or .686 if we count the 43 games hes already played) would be a resounding success.

Stone has the 5th highest pts per game of any sens draft pick, and a hypothetical player with 80% of his pts per game would rank 11th all time. Granted, he's currently in his prime so once he hits the tail end of his career the per game numbers may drop off a bit but its a big ask for Batherson to turn out to be even 80% of Stone's offensive production. Heck, 70% would put him 12 all time.

Im hopeful Batherson can become a solid player for us, but I'd be happy with Foligno like offensive impact, or Vermette.

Reactions: Icelevel and HzH

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Really we should just stop this comparison. I love Drake, but he's not Stone. There's got to be a better comparison from the sens history.

Reactions: Icelevel

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Really we should just stop this comparison. I love Drake, but he's not Stone. There's got to be a better comparison from the sens history.
I don't think it's that insane given Drake's development curve over the past 3 years. Stone broke out his 22 year old season, and Drake just turned 22. I don't think Drake's defensive game is quite at that level but again, he has shown consistent improvement so it's really tough to get a gauge on where he'll top out.

I think if he can keep working on his footspeed and defensive awareness, and start learning how to use his size, he could push the Stone comparison. Probably a bit better offensively and less defensively.

Until then, I'd say maybe Havlat is a better comparison physically, stylistically and in terms of production (50-70 pts). Average skating, well above-average skill. Filthy mitts and can finish better than most. Havlat seems like one of the better sens comparisons IMO.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we are talking development path and offensive production then maybe but overall player it’s not a fair comparison.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think it's that insane given Drake's development curve over the past 3 years. Stone broke out his 22 year old season, and Drake just turned 22. I don't think Drake's defensive game is quite at that level but again, he has shown consistent improvement so it's really tough to get a gauge on where he'll top out.

I think if he can keep working on his footspeed and defensive awareness, and start learning how to use his size, he could push the Stone comparison. Probably a bit better offensively and less defensively.

Until then, I'd say maybe Havlat is a better comparison physically, stylistically and in terms of production (50-70 pts). Average skating, well above-average skill. Filthy mitts and can finish better than most. Havlat seems like one of the better sens comparisons IMO.

Havlat was both quick and fast on his feet; bring you out of your seat kind of player. Drake is not.
I think Stone is a better comparable than Havlat. Drake will have to use his IQ to be a step ahead. I also think Stone and Batherson's hands are comparable. Batherson is obviously behind where Stone is now and may never reach that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Havlat was nicknamed mach 9, he was by no means an average skater unless you are refering to his days in SJ after his body gave up on him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's not a bad comparison, although IMO Batherson is a much better & faster skater.

I feel like I have a faded 10 year memory of Ryan scoring on breakaways … Wasn't he a decent skater early in his career (for a big guy) ?

Reactions: aragorn

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I feel like I have a faded 10 year memory of Ryan scoring on breakaways … Wasn't he a decent skater early in his career (for a big guy) ?

Ryan was much speedier back in his day, so if you compare a 22 year old Ryan to a 22 year old Batherson, I would say that speed wise they are almost identical, yet Bobby was on another level skill wise at that age.

Ryan right now, at this age, seems like a good comparison for Batherson but that is not necessarily a good thing but also not a bad thing. I still think Ryan is a good player and a top 6 player, as with Batherson potentially, however Batherson is far from the flashy explosive player that Ryan used to be in his Anaheim days.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ryan was much speedier back in his day, so if you compare a 22 year old Ryan to a 22 year old Batherson, I would say that speed wise they are almost identical, yet Bobby was on another level skill wise at that age.

Ryan right now, at this age, seems like a good comparison for Batherson but that is not necessarily a good thing but also not a bad thing. I still think Ryan is a good player and a top 6 player, as with Batherson potentially, however Batherson is far from the flashy explosive player that Ryan used to be in his Anaheim days.

I find it pretty hard to justify him as a top 6 forward. He may outplay Batherson next year but Batherson needs some room to develop. I think EM is hoping Ryan may choose retirement over a buyout or playing out the final two years.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I went through our all-time roster and really can't come up with a good comparison for Batherson.
Maybe Stillman, MacArthur and Patty Eaves are kind of the best I came up with.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I went through our all-time roster and really can't come up with a good comparison for Batherson.
Maybe Stillman, MacArthur and Patty Eaves are kind of the best I came up with.

Batherson is a bigger man than those guys. He's 6 foot 3 and will probably play at 200-210 when he fills out.

You might compare him to Radek Bonk. Bonk was a decent playmaker with good hands, vision and a pretty good shot. Sounds like Batherson.

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ryan is the best comparison imo. That’s drakes ceiling that he hopefully reaches.

Reactions: Sweatred

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Batherson is a much better playmaker and puck carrier. If you want a comparison think Blake Wheeler.

The way Drake plays, to me anyway, is more similar to another Jet. I think his style is a lot like Schiefele (minus being a C of course). I think that's his absolute ceiling. I doubt he reaches it but if we get 80-90% of Mark Schiefele's upside we're laughing.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Batherson is a bigger man than those guys. He's 6 foot 3 and will probably play at 200-210 when he fills out.

You might compare him to Radek Bonk. Bonk was a decent playmaker with good hands, vision and a pretty good shot. Sounds like Batherson.
Bonk became a stud 3rd lline center tho. Is that the Batherson's floor? (3rd liner)

Anyone have recent news on this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad