Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If he has improved his first step and agility then I am expecting a 80point winger in his prime. Ratenen like. He’s that talented.

If he doesn’t improve his skating then I see a 45-55 point guy getting most of it on the PP, and becoming a defensive liability 5on5 as he will always be behind the play.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If he has improved his first step and agility then I am expecting a 80point winger in his prime. Rat enemies like. He’s that talented.

If he doesn’t improve his skating then I see a 45-55 point guy getting most of it on the PP, and becoming a defensive liability 5on5 as he will always be behind the play.

Yup, but not really defensive liability. He's super smart.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Depending on who he has as a centre he could go 70 points IMO. Maybe a second line of Tkachuk Norris and Batherson would work. Their styles and strengths would seem to mesh well although on ice chemistry is always an unknown. One thing Batherson needs to improve is his physical play in the offensive zone. He has the frame to do it.

Reactions: NB613

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If he has improved his first step and agility then I am expecting a 80point winger in his prime. Rat enemies like. He’s that talented.

That is a very wide range you are discussing. If he becomes a 60 point guy that will be a bonus. I see him as a 45-50 point guy.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That is a very wide range you are discussing. If he becomes a 60 point guy that will be a bonus. I see him as a 45-50 point guy.
Batherson’s biggest weakness seems to be his complacency. Not in training and skills improvement but in game. It might be just getting used to the league, but it concerns me. Maybe someone who watched him a lot in Belleville could comment on this at the AHL level.

Reactions: Icelevel

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Drake is all smarts and high iq playmaking. He can control the play in the zone which is really key. He's going to be great.

I put his ceiling at about 70 points, but I'll be surprised if he never breaks 60 at least a couple times in his career. If he can continue to develop his skating and his two-way game he's a star.

It really is amazing this kid's dedication to be in the NHL. Such a mature pro at a very young age. Reminds me of Stone.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Batherson has top line potential on this team moving forward. It's just a matter of time before they have the appropriate players in their respective roles & the whole team is up to NHL speed. They have several very good prospects already in their system & it's just a matter of time before they are in the lineup & making a difference. I think Batherson will be a very good player for this team & will only get better.

Whether we are in yr 1,2 or 3 of this rebuild, everyone seems to have a different opinion on that, but these next two drafts should indicate what kind of team they want to build & where this team is headed. The only & real unknown with this franchise is with ownership & how that dickhead will help or hinder the progress of this team moving forward.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Batherson’s biggest weakness seems to be his complacency. Not in training and skills improvement but in game. It might be just getting used to the league, but it concerns me. Maybe someone who watched him a lot in Belleville could comment on this at the AHL level.

Swagger. Kid needs more swagger.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This would be the team I would build now with just the prospects & players they already have on the team & in their system. Then add the 4 to 6 players or more they will draft this yr & next who could be on the team in the next few yrs or sooner. The defence is clearly the weakest link & needs to be upgraded asap, the jury is still out in net as well.

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Gruden - Norris - Pinto
Formenton - White - C. Brown
Paul - Chlapik - Ryan / Kastelic

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Thomson / Brannstrom
Englund - Jaros / Lajoie

Hogberg - Daccord / Gustavsson

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Eerily similar to how Stone broke out... I think we all have big expectations for this guy.
I think he is a "Mark Stone " lite. Stone was a better scorer in Junior and a major contributor on the Sens at the same age DB is now. If he is 80 % of what Stone is the Sens will have a really good player.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think he is a "Mark Stone " lite. Stone was a better scorer in Junior and a major contributor on the Sens at the same age DB is now. If he is 80 % of what Stone is the Sens will have a really good player.

Yes, Stone was better in junior but at the same age Batherson is at now Stone had much worse AHL stats and very similar NHL stats (8 points in 23 games for Stone / 19 points in 43 games for Batherson).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This would be the team I would build now with just the prospects & players they already have on the team & in their system. Then add the 4 to 6 players or more they will draft this yr & next who could be on the team in the next few yrs or sooner. The defence is clearly the weakest link & needs to be upgraded asap, the jury is still out in net as well.

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Gruden - Norris - Pinto
Formenton - White - C. Brown
Paul - Chlapik - Ryan / Kastelic

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Thomson / Brannstrom
Englund - Jaros / Lajoie

Hogberg - Daccord / Gustavsson
Hawryluk and Abramov can be used too.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yes, Stone was better in junior but at the same age Batherson is at now Stone had much worse AHL stats and very similar NHL stats (8 points in 23 games for Stone / 19 points in 43 games for Batherson).
Actually Stone averaged 1.1 pts. /game and Batherson averaged 1.2 pts./game as 21 year olds in the AHL. And the reason for the discrepancy in their NHL stats as 21 year olds was strictly based on opportunity. The 2011-14 Ottawa Senators were stacked compared to this past season's group.
As a 22 year old Stone has a 26 G, 38 A , 64 pt. season and Batherson hasn't shown me he can make that kind of jump in production in one year.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Actually Stone averaged 1.1 pts. /game and Batherson averaged 1.2 pts./game as 21 year olds in the AHL. And the reason for the discrepancy in their NHL stats as 21 year olds was strictly based on opportunity. The 2011-14 Ottawa Senators were stacked compared to this past season's group.
As a 22 year old Stone has a 26 G, 38 A , 64 pt. season and Batherson hasn't shown me he can make that kind of jump in production in one year.
Batherson is not getting close to Stone. He will hopefully be a good top 6 player how can hit 70 points in a good lineup but Stone is Team Canada material. Not fair to compare them. I’ll be more than happy with Anthony Manta type production

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Batherson is not getting close to Stone. He will hopefully be a good top 6 player how can hit 70 points in a good lineup but Stone is Team Canada material. Not fair to compare them. I’ll be more than happy with Anthony Manta type production
I agree. That's why I called Batherson "Mark Stone Lite".

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
People say stuff like this all the time, but it makes no sense. At the same age nobody thought stone would be a legit top 6 or nhl star or even close to “team Canada Olympic” level. Batherson also starred for team Canada at the world junior. Is it likely? No, but it wasn’t for stone either. New stars emerge every year in the nhl

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I do not see top line skill set in Batherson nor Norris at this time. I suspect they could become top 6 players on the second line. Hopefully 2 first line forwards or 1 forward and 1 defenceman can be acquired in the 2020 draft followed by another top tier prospect in the 2021 draft. This team really needs an injection of top tier talent.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I do not see top line skill set in Batherson nor Norris at this time. I suspect they could become top 6 players on the second line. Hopefully 2 first line forwards or 1 forward and 1 defenceman can be acquired in the 2020 draft followed by another top tier prospect in the 2021 draft. This team really needs an injection of top tier talent.

Skillset? Batherson absolutely has first line skill set. The guy is remarkable with the puck with excellent vision and quick release. The only thing holding him back is explosiveness in his skating and possibly that killer demeanor (which Stone oozes in).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Skillset? Batherson absolutely has first line skill set. The guy is remarkable with the puck with excellent vision and quick release. The only thing holding him back is explosiveness in his skating and possibly that killer demeanor (which Stone oozes in).

Thank you. Coincidentally I was just about to search out a batherson highlight video. Can't wait till bath, brown, formenton and norris are injected into the lineup. going to be a lot more exciting.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

You're moving the goalposts. First it was Stone was "a major contributor on the Sens at the same age DB is now". Now it's Batherson can't make the same jump in production in one year that Stone did despite having better numbers in his pro career at the same age as Stone? That makes little sense.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You're moving the goalposts. First it was Stone was "a major contributor on the Sens at the same age DB is now". Now it's Batherson can't make the same jump in production in one year that Stone did despite having better numbers in his pro career at the same age as Stone? That makes little sense.
Well to sum up : I like Batherson but he is not, and won't be, Stone.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Well to sum up : I like Batherson but he is not, and won't be, Stone.

Flatly put, at age 21-22 Mark Stone was not going to be, and would never be, Mark Stone circa 2016-present.

Drake Batherson has, IMO, slightly better offensive instincts than Mark Stone does. He isn't as good at turning over the puck from the opposition, but few are. I'd say it's unlikely that Batherson ever becomes as good a player as Stone but that ceiling is there, and I'd argue it's slightly higher. Stone has pushed his ceiling to the max and Drake has his work cut out for him to be even 80% of the player Stone is at the NHL level. That being said I think Drake has better offensive awareness and 1-on-1 skills than Stone has ever had.

It'll be fun to watch but I'm a big fan of Batherson's and I think he hits 45-50 points this year.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Flatly put, at age 21-22 Mark Stone was not going to be, and would never be, Mark Stone circa 2016-present.

Drake Batherson has, IMO, slightly better offensive instincts than Mark Stone does. He isn't as good at turning over the puck from the opposition, but few are. I'd say it's unlikely that Batherson ever becomes as good a player as Stone but that ceiling is there, and I'd argue it's slightly higher. Stone has pushed his ceiling to the max and Drake has his work cut out for him to be even 80% of the player Stone is at the NHL level. That being said I think Drake has better offensive awareness and 1-on-1 skills than Stone has ever had.

It'll be fun to watch but I'm a big fan of Batherson's and I think he hits 45-50 points this year.
Try going back a couple of pages and you will get the whole story.
Summing up: DB will be 80% of MS which is darn good. Stone at age 22 was a very good NHLer. DB will be hard pressed to match those numbers even 2-3 years from now.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad