Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's actually Tied for 1st in AHL scoring having played 2 games less than the other 2 players he's tied with.
I agree with the philosophy of when he gets called up , its to stay up.

I personally want Batherson to be in the top 9.

Current roster
Tkachuk LB Duclair
Paul Pageau CB
Namestnikov Tierney White
Chlapik Beaudin Ennis
Anisimov, Boedker

We have to make a
spot in the top 9 RW

One option is to Move Chlapik down, Move Duclair back to LW, move Paul down the lineup and Bring Batherson up.
I don't expect them to move White to the 4th line but Smith has already played him behind the other RWs in icetime
IMO they should wait until they move some bodies out. Chlapik has been doing a good job there and if Ennis becomes the 4th line RW ... DJ will have to change the way he distributes icetime.

I would also like to see Belleville climb the standings, make the playoffs and have a run.

I would like to get a fast skating offensive center to play between Namestnikov and Duclair. Drafting Byfield or another top center would be great.
Playing L Brown with Paul and Batherson is something I would like to see in the NHL due to the success they had in the AHL last season.
Tkachuk with Pageau and C Brown might be a decent trio as well.
That would leave Tierney with White and one of: Chlapik, Ennis, Beaudin, etc. I am disappointed with White so far this season. Hopefully he starts producing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would like to get a fast skating offensive center to play between Namestnikov and Duclair. Drafting Byfield or another top center would be great.
Playing L Brown with Paul and Batherson is something I would like to see in the NHL due to the success they had in the AHL last season.
Tkachuk with Pageau and C Brown might be a decent trio as well.
That would leave Tierney with White and one of: Chlapik, Ennis, Beaudin, etc. I am disappointed with White so far this season. Hopefully he starts producing.

What is the next bests 2020 draft eligible Center option for us ? It feels like 3-7 overall C options after QB look thin and maybe better suited for 12-20 type picks ?

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What is the next bests 2020 draft eligible Center option for us ? It feels like 3-7 overall C options after QB look thin and maybe better suited for 12-20 type picks ?

There are some Cs that might be decent picks after Byfield: Rossi, Zary, Perfetti.

If the Senators finish 30 or 31st, they will have a guaranteed top 4 or 5 pick respectively, with one of the higher probabilities of picking in the top 3 positions.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There are some Cs that might be decent picks after Byfield: Rossi, Zary, Perfetti.

If the Senators finish 30 or 31st, they will have a guaranteed top 4 or 5 pick respectively, with one of the higher probabilities of picking in the top 3 positions.

Do you think the top rated wingers are more valuable than the Rossi/Perf types ? I’m worried we pick 4-7th and give away some skill for a guy who will be available at 10-15. Say Stutzle vs Perf at 5 type decision.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Do you think the top rated wingers are more valuable than the Rossi/Perf types ? I’m worried we pick 4-7th and give away some skill for a guy who will be available at 10-15.

If I have learned anything from following the drafts over the years, it is that you should always always draft the BPA in the 1st round. Drafting based on positional needs could end up being regrettable. By the 2nd round or more likely the 3rd round and beyond, if a team wants to pick based on organizational needs then so be it, but it would be a mistake drafting a lesser center if there is an elite winger or defenseman still on the table.

Reactions: Sweatred

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Batherson has been held scoreless in 10 out of the 21 games he’s played. He’s still working on the inconsistency issues.

Just Stat watching, he’s ready. But Mann and Dorian have said on multiple occasions that’s the biggest concern with Batherson.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
If I have learned anything from following the drafts over the years, it is that you should always always draft the BPA in the 1st round. Drafting based on positional needs could end up being regrettable. By the 2nd round or more likely the 3rd round and beyond, if a team wants to pick based on organizational needs then so be it, but it would be a mistake drafting a lesser center if there is an elite winger or defenseman still on the table.
Good example of this is Montreal in 2018 with Koktkaniemi. He’s still got potential but if they could go back and pick one of Tkachuk or Hughes today... they would.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Batherson has been held scoreless in 10 out of the 21 games he’s played. He’s still working on the inconsistency issues.
I have a hard time internalizing that stat. What would be an average number of games to be held scoreless? A relative version of this stat that compares against other players would actually be a really good advanced stat for scoring consistency.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Just Stat watching, he’s ready. But Mann and Dorian have said on multiple occasions that’s the biggest concern with Batherson.

I mean... Scoring one game out of 2 is extremely consistent for a scorer. That's a 40 goal pace scoring a goal every 2 game.

Or you mean pointless?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I haven't gone to look but what does it look like for his last, say 15?

If I recall the team wasn't doing well and he went pointless for quite a few when he was first sent down.

He may only be 4 out of 15 now. Either way he has heated up and you can only be so concerned with a kid leading the league in scoring.

☆EDIT - decided to try and contribute to site with some research☆

He went scoreless in:

5 of first 9
7 of first 12 (13 points total
3 of last 9 (14 points total)

He has gone pointless in back-to-back games 3 times in this stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Currently leading AHL scoring (27 in 21). I suppose I get the concern about consistency game to game, but points are points, and he's shown to be a consistent offensive leader across his career, season to season. It's not much of a concern in the larger picture in my view.

Seems like perhaps people are trying to find issues here, perhaps to justify him being in the AHL rather than NHL right now?

I wish we had more of these 'problematic' prospects, leading leagues in points...

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Currently leading AHL scoring (27 in 21). I suppose I get the concern about consistency game to game, but points are points, and he's shown to be a consistent offensive leader across his career, season to season. It's not much of a concern in the larger picture in my view.

Seems like perhaps people are trying to find issues here, perhaps to justify him being in the AHL rather than NHL right now?

I wish we had more of these 'problematic' prospects, leading leagues in points...

People are not trying to find issues. Every player is open to objectively, because no player is perfect (and a young one at that), and Batherson is no different.

Batherson is a very talented young player, no one is denying that. How ever, he has shown to go pointless for an extended stretch on multiple occasions, even late year. So, some people are concerned about that, even though it could just be a minor thing.

Reactions: Pete Dorito

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
People are not trying to find issues. Every player is open to objectively, because no player is perfect (and a young one at that), and Batherson is no different.

Batherson is a very talented young player, no one is denying that. How ever, he has shown to go pointless for an extended stretch on multiple occasions, even late year. So, some people are concerned about that, even though it could just be a minor thing.

I like consistency but some people call this streaky as well and a lot of point producers are streaky. It seems to me he tends to step up with the game on the line as well

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Hes leading the league in points and people are complaining about consistency? Anyone watching enough b-sens to comment on the eye test? Is he invisible when hes not scoring?

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Batherson is now up to 31 points in 23 games, while nobody else on the team has more than 20 points.

The 2nd highest scorer in the league has 28 points in 26 games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Batherson has great eye hand coordination. He has a knack for tracking and getting touches on bouncing pucks ORor knocking pucks out of the air that he turns into possession.

Nice goal reminiscent of a Mark Stone steal on Saturday. He could have had another couple points as well if his line mates converted.

Belleville should keep rolling along. I'd like to see them go for a championship. (IE keep the key guys down)

Reactions: coladin

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
What do you guys think his offensive upside is?

So tough to call at this point cause he's killing it in the AHL, but in his call up last year he was often completely lost out there. Personally I hope he can be a 15G-45A type somewhat consistently. I'm sure people are thinking higher numbers though.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I feel like Mark Stone with better skating driving better offensive ability but also worse defensenvily (see takeaways) is the upside I'm hoping for.

Reactions: Samsquanch

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This guy definitely has top line upside. He oozes with remarkable IQ and ridiculously soft hands. He can bury chances or set them up.

He did look lost last year but the guy was on pace to easily lead the AHL in points and was man among boys. I see 25-45 potential.

His first step is what really hindered him in the NHL and prevented him from using his skill in moments of separation but towards the end he started demonstrating more confidence.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I see the upside in the 25/45 area as well. But i see it pretty much now, not years down the line. He's had two extended stints in the league. He's 22. Statistically entering his prime. I'm looking for 50+ points this season and then hitting that peak the following season

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
On a line with Duclair and Byfield/Stutzle would be exciting to watch. Need to enhance his first steps to keep up, but the hands on all three will be outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad