Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At worst, there will be a slot for Batherson after the deadline when a couple of veterans (maybe more) are shipped out of Ottawa.

In the meantime, I found it interesting that Batherson is one of the few young guys in the top ten of AHL scoring. Most of them are AHL lifers who aren't considered NHL prospects anymore. It's a strange dichotomy in the AHL - the top scorers, and the best teams, tend to be loaded with veteran minor leaguers as opposed to 21 year olds knocking on the door of an NHL opportunity. This is why pro teams don't necessarily get too stressed about the win/loss record of their minor league affiliates. (It's even more stark in baseball, where the parent team is specifically dictating playing time/pitch counts to their farm teams.)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I doubt they keep him down much after Jan 1. Another few weeks of strong play should earn him a call up. He can play RW when White, Chaplik, or Ennis come out of the lineup or get injured.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A month and a half ago people were crying about how he is losing his confidence cause he was playing poorly in the NHL

there is no rush to keep him up here unless injuries or bodies are moved.

Reactions: guyzeur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A month and a half ago people were crying about how he is losing his confidence cause he was playing poorly in the NHL

there is no rush to keep him up here unless injuries or bodies are moved.

I agree - but I think you can miss development on both sides of that decision.

For example - I think Logan Brown has developed more the past 10 G in the NHL than if he played them in the AHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I agree - but I think you can miss development on both sides of that decision.

For example - I think Logan Brown has developed more the past 10 G in the NHL than if he played them in the AHL.
nothing wrong with him though staying a bit longer in the ahl. Batherson is pretty young he can make the jump at some point this year but I don't think it is urgent that it happen now

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I agree. Would like to see a bit more consistency as well. Might be asking too much but seems he goes a game or 2 with no points then has 3 or 4 in a single game.

Havent examined it too much but is he feasting on bottom feeders?

Either way he is proving to be a top AHL scorer at a very young age which is great but no issue with him staying down until trade deadline and then back for a playoff run in Belleville.

Reactions: guyzeur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be interesting to see what happens after the trade deadline, who gets moved, who is still around & who gets called up. I don't think necessarily the best players get called up first all the time, sometimes there are favours done for certain older players who have helped out the org. I wouldn't mind seeing Formenton, Norris & Batherson called up at forward & a Lajoie & Jaros tandem on defence, if they are able to move a number of their UFAs. I have no concerns about Batherson, I just hope they are able to put him with teammates that compliment each other & find chemistry together.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mark Stone played 37 AHL games as a 22 year old, was a point a game player

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Batherson wasn't given a fair chance when he was with the big club, when it comes to any extended period of time and consistency playing top minutes with better players.

No prospect still learning in the NHL will show anything getting thrown around everywhere from the 1st line to the last.

On his next call up, give him proper top 6 minutes with better line-mates for an extended amount of game, and then evaluate where he's at in his development. He might struggle in his first few games, make some mistakes, but let him play through it. His job is to create and produce, and after some speed-bumps, he might start producing

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s possible that they were giving him a taste rather than a serious evaluation as to whether he would stay up. It looks like they want him to have a nice long stretch of development in the AHL under Mann. Likely they like what they see on one side of the puck, but want him to be consistent on the other side, and with his effort level in general.

I don’t think there’s an issue here, he’s young, he’s developing nicely, he’ll get his chance soon enough. I think the team has high hopes for him and are being super patient with his development.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Batherson wasn't given a fair chance when he was with the big club, when it comes to any extended period of time and consistency playing top minutes with better players.

No prospect still learning in the NHL will show anything getting thrown around everywhere from the 1st line to the last.

On his next call up, give him proper top 6 minutes with better line-mates for an extended amount of game, and then evaluate where he's at in his development. He might struggle in his first few games, make some mistakes, but let him play through it. His job is to create and produce, and after some speed-bumps, he might start producing

It has been difficult to ID a spot for Batherson to play. Ideally he would play with a play making/line driving experienced center and we don’t have that.

Pager isn’t a great passer and White has been floundering. Brown is a rookie benefiting from Duc and Brady.

That leaves CT or Names which are far from ideal. I don’t think the staff thinks Brown-Bath are well suited to develop together in the NHL . Maybe down the road if Brown continues to show he can carry drive his line.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It has been difficult to ID a spot for Batherson to play. Ideally he would play with a play making/line driving experienced center and we don’t have that.

Pager isn’t a great passer and White has been floundering. Brown is a rookie benefiting from Duc and Brady.

That leaves CT or Names which are far from ideal. I don’t think the staff thinks Brown-Bath are well suited to develop together in the NHL . Maybe down the road if Brown continues to show he can carry drive his line.
I would love to see Batherson and Brown play together at the NHL level. Last year in Belleville they had obvious chemistry together (along with Paul) and it was one of the most dominant lines throughout the AHL.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would love to see Batherson and Brown play together at the NHL level. Last year in Belleville they had obvious chemistry together (along with Paul) and it was one of the most dominant lines throughout the AHL.

Sure - I would too but breaking into the NHL is hard. Batherson struggled with Duschene last year let alone another rookie (Brown) trying to hold his own.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

You just put him with whoever is centering the 2nd line. Give him an extended stretch with proper minutes where he can get a regular shift and get the feel of the game and start feeling comfortable to show his skill-set. No need to see the score-sheet, just evaluate his play on how much offense is he generating, and if he is making any glaring defensive mistakes.

Personally I don't mind him playing with Pager. I think that is the perfect fit for him at this stage of his career.

Reactions: chipsens

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Kind of agree with this. I don't think it has to be the pressure of the top 6 though. Just give some favourable matchups and enough paying time in the top 9 .

Starting the new year I'd like to see them go with:

Tkachuk - Brown - Duclair
Paul - Pageau - Brown
Namestnikov - White - Batherson
Chlapik - Tierney - Balcers

Gives Batherson two good players to play with and lets the Pageau line do the heavy lifting.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Kind of agree with this. I don't think it has to be the pressure of the top 6 though. Just give some favourable matchups and enough paying time in the top 9 .

Starting the new year I'd like to see them go with:

Tkachuk - Brown - Duclair
Paul - Pageau - Brown
Namestnikov - White - Batherson
Chlapik - Tierney - Balcers

Gives Batherson two good players to play with and lets the Pageau line do the heavy lifting.

I agree with you - but Pager gets tough match ups and White has been suffocating all the offensive from any line he plays on. Ideally he finds his game before Jan and can carry Bath a little.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I wonder if there is any risk of physical injury/cheapshots in AhL for Batherson, as leading scorer?! More/less risk than NHL? Do BSens have a sheriff like Boro?

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What do you do with a...

After being sent down to regain his offensive pizazz, Drake is T3 in AHL scoring. What would YOU do with the Sens star prospect?

Weekly Question: What to do with Drake Batherson?
He's actually Tied for 1st in AHL scoring having played 2 games less than the other 2 players he's tied with.
I agree with the philosophy of when he gets called up , its to stay up.

I personally want Batherson to be in the top 9.

Current roster
Tkachuk LB Duclair
Paul Pageau CB
Namestnikov Tierney White
Chlapik Beaudin Ennis
Anisimov, Boedker

We have to make a
spot in the top 9 RW

One option is to Move Chlapik down, Move Duclair back to LW, move Paul down the lineup and Bring Batherson up.
I don't expect them to move White to the 4th line but Smith has already played him behind the other RWs in icetime
IMO they should wait until they move some bodies out. Chlapik has been doing a good job there and if Ennis becomes the 4th line RW ... DJ will have to change the way he distributes icetime.

I would also like to see Belleville climb the standings, make the playoffs and have a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad