Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Too bad I don't have much free time to read the board, I'm sure there's plenty of hilarious/baffling comments. I'm sure there's several posters who have no idea what it is to go through a rebuild. Just this page gave me a couple chuckles.

Patience will be needed, trying to draw conclusions after training camp and after the first game against a top (season) team is actually pretty funny.

All that being said, Mark Stone should have been kept at ALL COSTS. The perfect veteran and captain that the youth would have relied on. As crazy as it sounds, easier to go through a transition moving away from players like Karlsson, Duchene and Hoffman (elite skill guys) but Mark Stone brings just so much to the table. Won't ever forgive Melnyk for that. Brannstrom better be a top pairing D-man

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Too bad I don't have much free time to read the board, I'm sure there's plenty of hilarious/baffling comments. I'm sure there's several posters who have no idea what it is to go through a rebuild. Just this page gave me a couple chuckles.

Patience will be needed, trying to draw conclusions after training camp and after the first game against a top (season) team is actually pretty funny.

All that being said, Mark Stone should have been kept at ALL COSTS. The perfect veteran and captain that the youth would have relied on. As crazy as it sounds, easier to go through a transition moving away from players like Karlsson, Duchene and Hoffman (elite skill guys) but Mark Stone brings just so much to the table. Won't ever forgive Melnyk for that. Brannstrom better be a top pairing D-man
Won t ever forgive Melnyk for that ? Why, I hate Melnyk more than every people here, but the contract we offer to Stone was good for a small market. Is Stone want to win now and be to greedy with the money.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Won t ever forgive Melnyk for that ? Why, I hate Melnyk more than every people here, but the contract we offer to Stone was good for a small market. Is Stone want to win now and be to greedy with the money.

The size of the market is completely irrelevant. The salary cap and revenue sharing are in place for a reason.

Eugene Melynk was unwilling/unable to offer Mark Stone a contract that was acceptable to him, and/or offer an environment and culture which Mark felt was conducive to winning.

No matter how you slice it up, it was 100% a failure at the ownership/management level.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Offer market value or take your ball and go home. Only party to blame is the Senators. Players aren't required to give discounts.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Kid doesnt look ready yet. But he will get his 9 games or whatever it is.

Never a bad idea to over season these guys in the ahl anyway. The sens aren't going to be winning much this season, so unless hes ripe as f*** there isnt much point in him being up here for the year.

Reactions: Acidrain66

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Kid doesnt look ready yet. But he will get his 9 games or whatever it is.

Never a bad idea to over season these guys in the ahl anyway. The sens aren't going to be winning much this season, so unless hes ripe as **** there isnt much point in him being up here for the year.
no game limit for him - he can be called up and down at will

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Offer market value or take your ball and go home. Only party to blame is the Senators. Players aren't required to give discounts.
If he really want to stay he have accept a similar contract of Chabot

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Mark Stone should have taken 12 million less and no bonus money... hilarious
Similar not the same amount. But I agreed he have to take no signing bonus, but we offer him 29 and just take ntc

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If he really want to stay he have accept a similar contract of Chabot

Do you understand the difference between an RFA & UFA & why you should not be comparing players in completely different personal positions? Chabot was restricted & had to make a deal with the Sens, Stone was unrestricted & could go to wherever he wanted at the end of the season. The Sens had to do something or lose him for nothing.

Stone left because this org had decided to rebuild & he wanted to be on a cup contender while he was still able to contribute & be a big part of the team. Ottawa was not contending anymore especially after trading their best players & Stone decided to go to a team that is contending & where he could get the best contract he could. It's as simple as that IMO.

Reactions: Emrasie

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Do you understand the difference between an RFA & UFA & why you should not be comparing players in completely different personal positions? Chabot was restricted & had to make a deal with the Sens, Stone was unrestricted & could go to wherever he wanted at the end of the season. The Sens had to do something or lose him for nothing.

Stone left because this org had decided to rebuild & he wanted to be on a cup contender while he was still able to contribute & be a big part of the team. Ottawa was not contending anymore especially after trading their best players & Stone decided to go to a team that is contending & where he could get the best contract he could. It's as simple as that IMO.
Agreed with you he don t want to stay here

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If that's your strategy, you'll just lose more players down the line whether it's Stone or someone else. Discounts can't be expected and the crooked owner is not deserving of it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

It's pretty unrealistic to expect every player to sign a friendly contract (Karlsson, Turris, Chabot...). Stone wanted market value and signing bonuses. I'm looking at his contract on Cap Friendly and I would gladly match that (assuming I'd be a NHL owner). Stone contributions and role in my team is too important.

If Melnyk is not rich enough to play in this billionaires sandbox (bac à sable pour milliardaires), you just sell the team to somebody who can afford it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I made a joke. Sorry Dad, won't happen again.

I guess there is no room for joking, complaining, overreacting, or any kind of light hearted discussion on this board anymore.
Maybe you should practice your routine more, son.

Hopefully the board will act the way you want it to when you try to also make it better.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
To me Batherson is clearly not the same player and the only item that comes up as different is his gains in size.

I don't think who his linemates are has any bearing on my opinion of his play. He looked out of sorts in rookie tourney too and the Batherson of last season are that tourney up.

He has barely touched the puck and relatively speaking is behind the play all the time - he is not going to be effective with anyone if he isnt getting to his spots in time.

I would also be absolutely stunned if he was mailing in his training efforts given his past work ethic and being on the cusp of being a very important player on an NHL team.

No chance I write him off but there is a marked difference in his game that he and the org need to figure out and rectify - maybe he needs to shed 10lbs, I dont know but he needs to find his skating again before he will be effective with any line combination.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it's a combination of things with Batherson. First of all, he actually grew this off-season, apparently. A little unusual for a 21 year old, but not completely unheard of. As a result, he's now re-adjusting physically. Because of that, he's not having success, and is now gripping the stick so tight he's leaving finger marks on it. I swear all he needs is a break - once he scores again the pressure will be off, and he'll start producing again. I wouldn't give up on him quite yet. I think he's going to be a streaky player his whole career, and we're just seeing an example of that now...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I was perturbed by browns agent yesterday but this morning I kind of get it... like batherson was horrible all camp all preseason... why is he here? considering weve also kind of went with a veteran roster. that being said abramov was better than both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->