Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He is going to get lots of opportunity to prove you wrong though. Should be in the top 6 right away which is a big leg up. Hope he can adapt quick and find his game at this level.

Small sample size but he strikes me as a 100% trigger guy, doesn't do anything else that well.

With our roster, I can't see Batherson producing anywhere near the level required to be even thought of when considering who might get the Calder this year.

Batherson probably ends up with 35-40 points.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Small sample size but he strikes me as a 100% trigger guy, doesn't do anything else that well.

With our roster, I can't see Batherson producing anywhere near the level required to be even thought of when considering who might get the Calder this year.

I don’t expect a Calder performance either but he’s also a very good passer. He’s probably pass first more than anything

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
A calder performance would be a great bonus for him. I expect him to gradually get better. Maybe will he finish near 40 pts. I hope more, but ky expectation are near 40 with the right oppoetunity

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Kid has great vision and hockey sense. Certainly wasn't just a trigger man in Belleville.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm talking at the NHL level. Players can be one kind of player in the AHL and not be able to fill in the same role in the NHL.

We shall see!
He wasn't a triggerman in his callup last year either, he was making plays not finishing them. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He wasn't a triggerman in his callup last year either, he was making plays not finishing them. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

He was playing with Duchene who is an outstanding player. We don't have anyone anywhere that level right now and we won't for long time (I fully expect us to get screwed by the draft lottery).

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He has better offensive skills than Stone, imo.

Batherson is a good prospect; however, he did not post stats anywhere near what Mark Stone did in junior. Batherson had 1 very good season in the AHL so I hope that is an omen of good things to come and not a one season blip. I think Stone will have the better overall career based on performance to date.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
IMO Batherson is NHL ready now & keeping him in Belleville serves no purpose. Belleville has plenty of players that need to develop. I think they should place Batherson with Tkachuk & White to form a very good NHL line & let him learn the ropes beside those guys as those guys learned the ropes along side Mark Stone who plays the game the right way.

NHL coaches now seem to like pairings or tandems that work well together such as Tkachuk & White & Brown & Batherson & Ottawa has a few guys who could fill the third player role for those tandems. Since not much is expected from this team next season, watching Batherson full time might be a spark of hope for the future of this team. Let him learn in a year of diversity to see if he has what it takes to carry his team out of it like Mark Stone did, it didn't hurt Stone's development but instead propelled him into NHL stardom. I would like to see Batherson do the same, fight through the diversity which could be all of next season & come out stronger & a better all around hockey player because of it. Having said that though, I would like to see Batherson back with L.Brown when he is in the NHL permanently & add a LWer who can compliment them creating another very good line.

I think coaches have forever been looking for players who work well together, whether it is a pair or a three-some. :)

I have watched some great ones: Gretzky - Kerri - Anderson; Hull - Hedberg - Nilsson ; Bossy - Trottier - Gillies; Spezza - Heatley - Alfredsson, to name a few.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was playing with Duchene who is an outstanding player. We don't have anyone anywhere that level right now and we won't for long time (I fully expect us to get screwed by the draft lottery).
Not sure what your point is here. Playing with a good player he was making the types of plays rhat high IQ players make. He wasn't a trigger man. Playing in Belleville he wasn't a triggerman. Seems like there is more evidence of him not being a trigger man than of him being a trigger man.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pretty confident saying that by the all star break Batherson will be regarded as the teams best forward.

Reactions: teddygmr

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

The bright side is if they finish last they will get a Duchene level player no matter what. If they dont finish last with this roster I will be shocked.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Definitely curious as to how you can be confident saying that. I hope you're right, but he doesn't seem anywhere near Tkachuk or Duclair right now.

He’s really not that far off. He needs some time to settle in but once he is comfortable I see him taking off. And I haven’t forgotten about Tkachuk, love him as a player just really like some of the things I saw from Batherson in preseason. He needs to find some consistency but there’s a lot to like with what he showed.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
To me Batherson isnt ready. He lacks that killer drive , passion or hunger to be a full time NHL er.

Logan Brown is more deserving (not to sidetrack thread)

I think Drake would benefit from more time in the A

I think your premise is very flawed. The guy has been fighting uphill for years and has made large strides since entering the Q.

If anything he may be suffering from training too hard and getting too big over the Summer.

I have high expectations but I dont think he forgot how to play hockey in a few months. Let's give him time to adapt to new physique and (potentially) a new, more professional playing style that has him high in the zone and ready to defend when he is F3.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think your premise is very flawed. The guy has been fighting uphill for years and has made large strides since entering the Q.

If anything he may be suffering from training too hard and getting too big over the Summer.

I have high expectations but I dont think he forgot how to play hockey in a few months. Let's give him time to adapt to new physique and (potentially) a new, more professional playing style that has him high in the zone and ready to defend when he is F3.

I'd rather he figure it out in the A so he continues to put up points and keeps his confidence

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'd rather he figure it out in the A so he continues to put up points and keeps his confidence
After preseason I don't disagree but I don't think you can pin it on his drive. He has proven he is an extremely hard worker.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Drake Batherson is the type of prospect that gets s*** on because people don’t know who he is.

But two years from now he’s their favourite player when they wear his jersey on game nights.

I think he’ll be in the mix for the Calder and will be on track for a 60 point season in year two of he stays healthy.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Pretty confident saying that by the all star break Batherson will be regarded as the teams best forward.

That is a bold statement! What leads you to believe he will be our best forward by all-star break? Did you forget about White and Tkachuk?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Batherson is definitely not a trigger man

It probably was not the right term to use. I should have said "complimentary" : I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he is going to be the kind of player who makes his linemates better at the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Batherson is ready imo he ripped the ahl and it’s time for him to play and learn at the nhl level

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Batherson is ready imo he ripped the ahl and it’s time for him to play and learn at the nhl level
On any competent NHL team, you could slot Batherson in onto a line with bonafide NHL top-six players, and he would look great.

The significant issue at the moment is that because we have such a dearth of actual skilled players, the issue of throwing Batherson right in there is that he's going to be expected to lead a line immediately, rather than easing his way into NHL play.

Reactions: Alex1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->