Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
No issues with this move. He showed flashes of very high skill but needs to work on other parts of his game. He should be a full time NHLer next year.

Reactions: Icelevel

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hes need develop his overall defensive game no problem with this.

I thought defensively he was fairly solid, he knows where he needs to be positionally and is usually there. The biggest challenge for him was finding ways to engage and finding open ice. When he had even the littlest bit of room he showed what he can do but he wasn’t doing it often enough. Didn’t quite look comfortable in the NHL.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He showed flashes but the speed was catching up to him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back up here post-deadline, or even sooner.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As long as we're not having him on a yo-yo for the rest of the season. Leave him somewhere (I don't care if it's Ottawa or Belleville) for the rest of the year. Get into a groove and work on that skating and strength.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would have given him a couple more games with Duchene, and then sent him down but I read about some roster freeze so I understand.

Reactions: OmniSens

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He should be a good player for us sooner than later,but nothing wrong with him going back to the AHL...The kid needs to show us Batherson ,and not just the guy that can play with Duchene

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He should be a good player for us sooner than later,but nothing wrong with him going back to the AHL...The kid needs to show us Batherson ,and not just the guy that can play with Duchene
being able to play with superstars is an underrated skill. if he can ALWAYS be the guy that can effectively play with our topline C that's a homerun

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Batherson and Brown look really good together (in highlights, but still). Both very productive lately and looking like legit top 9 prospects.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Can someone explain to me why he is not being called up right now?

Because

1) we're about to trade away our 3 best forwards, and keeping a kid away from what is certainly a tense dressing room on a bad team for the next few weeks is probably not a bad thing.

2) the AHL team is playing more meaningful games than the NHL one is right now. Having him play for something and be a leader is probably good for him at this stage in his development.

He might get some games after the trade deadline. Depends on how Belleville are looking, I suppose.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Because we want our farm team to make the playoffs. The Ottawa Senators are dead in the water.

thats all nice but isnt it more important to develop the NHL club? I mean yes Ottawa is not making the playoffs. But ideally Batherson would benefit much more from NHL experience than AHL experience. He is dominating the AHL at 2 points per game played...whats the point of him being in the AHL?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Because we want our farm team to make the playoffs. The Ottawa Senators are dead in the water.

This, but also because we're likely showcasing some potential trade pieces.

Wouldn't be overly surprised to see him up after the deadline, but hopefully for his sake he continues to dominate down there for the rest of the year and hits the ground running next year at training camp.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
thats all nice but isnt it more important to develop the NHL club? I mean yes Ottawa is not making the playoffs. But ideally Batherson would benefit much more from NHL experience than AHL experience. He is dominating the AHL at 2 points per game played...whats the point of him being in the AHL?

The Ottawa Senators are heading towards a good decade of being absolutely terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad