Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's really nice having a variety of finishers on this team. Losing Hoffman was painful and poorly executed, so having guys like Batherson and Tkachuk who can make the most of scoring chances is a refreshing surprise.

If the team actually spent any money on defense we could be halfway decent.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Like I was saying a few months ago, don’t miss the opportunity to build around Stone, Duchene, Chabot and Karlsson. Now you could say don’t miss the chance to build around Chabot, Stone, Duchene, Tkachuk and Batherson

Im not envious about other teams talent, I’m envious of their financial situations; coaching and goaltending is fixable with money

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, he’s a revelation, such good passing plays, he’s right up there with our best passers already.

As an aside, I LOVE how our team is playing so much down low, guys are making a habit of making lays below the goal line with guys cutting into the net. It takes puck skills and excellent passing to excel at these types of plays, and we keep adding kids up to the task.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I'm over the moon with how well Batherson and Duchene are clicking. Their chemistry is something else to watch, it's been a while since we've had a wombo-combo of this calibre. All the more reason to sign Dutchy long term.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
if you look back to roughly a year ago with a Turris / Hoffman / EK team, we were a team that scored a lot of fancy goals but that wouldn't play in the dirty areas.

you look at what we have now with Duchene, Tkachuk, White, Batherson and we are scoring from dirty areas all the time. Batherson's goal last night was from the dirt and the Duchene goal was a play from below the line with a dirt to dirt pass.

Tkachuk recently said something to the effect of knowing his whole life that goals are scored from the dirt. Any shot heat map on goals scored clearly supports this but we had a team made up of too many players that essentially wouldn't but also in part I'd say due to thin frames couldn't play there

How we are scoring to me looks pretty sustainable.

it's not as fancy as the old top of the circle rocket but when you're adding them up after the game they never ask how you got them

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
if you look back to roughly a year ago with a Turris / Hoffman / EK team, we were a team that scored a lot of fancy goals but that wouldn't play in the dirty areas.

you look at what we have now with Duchene, Tkachuk, White, Batherson and we are scoring from dirty areas all the time. Batherson's goal last night was from the dirt and the Duchene goal was a play from below the line with a dirt to dirt pass.

Tkachuk recently said something to the effect of knowing his whole life that goals are scored from the dirt. Any shot heat map on goals scored clearly supports this but we had a team made up of too many players that essentially wouldn't but also in part I'd say due to thin frames couldn't play there

How we are scoring to me looks pretty sustainable.

it's not as fancy as the old top of the circle rocket but when you're adding them up after the game they never ask how you got them

A+ post

Reactions: coladin and aragorn

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Funny how after one good game people quickly forget that this is the worst team in the league.

Would you rather score fancy goals in ECF or dirty goals battling for the 30th place in the league? Hmmm that's a toughy. :huh:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Funny how after one good game people quickly forget that this is the worst team in the league.

Would you rather score fancy goals in ECF or dirty goals battling for the 30th place in the league? Hmmm that's a toughy. :huh:

Oh we're last? Didn't know! Did the standings change?

Would you rather be a glass half empty non-optimistic "fan" or a positive one who sees what the future may hold and that things can get pretty good eventually? Hmmm that's a toughy :huh:

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
The team scored plenty of goals around the net in the 16-17 playoffs with Stone, Ryan, Pageau, MacArthur, Brassard. That team was also completely different systematically so take that into account too. The way this team is playing offensively is great but it's also hurt the way they play at the other end.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Is some hockey god actually giving us this choice? Wow .. that be cool

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Can't help but notice a depressing trend in most of your posts. Cheer up.

One good game, followed by another good game. And so on and so on. If we go on a Buffalo run, there will be some that will probably harp on the Minny game. Sheesh

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

ease up

there's some positives to what's going on with the team

If you can't see it, your probably not watching

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

How about both?

Teams need the greasy goals, and they also need the skill and firepower for highlight reel goals to win those run and gun games.

I'm not quite sold on the sustainability of the team or the true career trajectories of our kids just yet...but it has been encouraging to see the quantity and variety of firepower on the team so far. If it turns out to be the real thing, it will be a really nice foundation for the future.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017

well, my third option would to be in the ecf not caring how we score as long as we do.

most predicted we would be bad in our own end, true, and not be able to score, false. we all knew that the only way the team was getting to the ecf this year was they were to buy tickets.

I figure that fixing the team in its own end is much easier than trying to solve not scoring.

The real concern is holding on to the key pieces over the next number of years. I imagine everyone here is more pessimistic about management than anything.

edit: to actually respond to the thread; Love the Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad