Drake Batherson vs Jesper Bratt

Who is going to be the better hockey player?

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Drake Batherson, Apr 27, 1998, RW, 6'3", 205 lbs

Jesper Bratt, Jul 30, 1998, LW/RW, 5'10", 185 lbs

I didn't realize people were that high on Jesper Bratt and he was seen as a future big point producer. I thought Drake Batherson was seen as the better player going forward by most but maybe I was totally wrong on this.

I would like to know HF people's opinion on the subject

Who is going to be the better hockey player? Assuming they both stay healthy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It’s close in all fairness, Batherson probably has the better league wide reputation and probably has the edge because of his development curve but Bratt is amazing in his own right and is underrated league wide.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
CF%: 53.49 vs 47.71

GF%: 52.17 vs 44.83

xGF%: 53.79 vs 49.96%

SCF%: 52.54% vs 49.42

HDCF%: 56.42 vs 52.69

PPG: .65 vs .61

5v5 P/60: 1.88 vs 1.44

AS P/60: 2.43 vs 2.21

Don't have a Batherson card but here's Bratt's

Can someone explain to me how this is even a conversation? It's easily Bratt. Batherson had a better goal scoring year (in large part due to Bratt having an unlucky year and if he shot where he should've they're comparable), he's bigger and he hits more. That's literally it. Bratt drives play better at both ends of the ice, he is a better overall producer, he is better in transition. Bratt's incredibly underrated

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Batherson was more productive in his 1st full season on a bottom feeding team ( yes I know that NJ was also very bad ) than Bratt in any of his 4 to date . There is and likely always will be a large goal scoring gap , in addition to the physical advantages he enjoys. The analytics just confirms that Ottawa is a poor possession team/work in progress In general. Bratt is a nice player but this is the Drake . Drake also has an underrated hockey iq .

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
CF%: 53.49 vs 47.71

GF%: 52.17 vs 44.83

xGF%: 53.79 vs 49.96%

SCF%: 52.54% vs 49.42

HDCF%: 56.42 vs 52.69

PPG: .65 vs .61

5v5 P/60: 1.88 vs 1.44

AS P/60: 2.43 vs 2.21

Don't have a Batherson card but here's Bratt's

Can someone explain to me how this is even a conversation? It's easily Bratt.

Lol wtf?

It's fine to pick one the other. But this is just outright embarrassing.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think there are going to be many non-Devils fans (except for those who follow advanced stats more closely) that are going to champion Bratt as much as he deserves to be.

From a production side, people can point to Batherson's goal totals this year but Bratt's PPG was slightly higher at .65 which he also hit two years ago as well. Bratt also shot at a 6.9% clip last year which is well below average while Batherson shot 15.3% which may very well be unsustainably high.

The thing that people don't pay attention to with Bratt (since it doesn't show up on a statsheet) is his skating and transition ability. His edgework is unreal and he does things with the puck that very few players can do. He's still finding his way, even having been in the league since he was 19 but I think he's starting to become increasingly more confident and it's going to do wonders for him going forward.

For what it's worth, I like Batherson well enough too. But Bratt is the overall more talented and better player in my admittedly biased opinion

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I like Batherson's chances at becoming a star player more than Bratt.

He's still inconsistent and the skating can use improvement, but the overall offensive skillset is high-end.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If you watch them both play the answer to this is poll is clear. Batherson probably has more goal scoring potential and is bigger but Bratt’s skill is much better. It’s not even close.

Last edited:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Batherson was more productive in his 1st full season on a bottom feeding team ( yes I know that NJ was also very bad ) than Bratt in any of his 4 to date . There is and likely always will be a large goal scoring gap , in addition to the physical advantages he enjoys. The analytics just confirms that Ottawa is a poor possession team/work in progress In general. Bratt is a nice player but this is the Drake . Drake also has an underrated hockey iq .

Kind of a dishonest take here. Batherson had 43 NHL games played before this year and is 8 months older than Bratt. It’s not like he was a 18 year old rookie. Batherson also played 10 more games this year and only put up 4 more points. In fact, Batherson paced 50 points and Bratt paced 53. So “more productive” is only true if you ignore context.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Kind of a dishonest take here. Batherson had 43 NHL games played before this year and is 8 months older than Bratt. It’s not like he was a 18 year old rookie. Batherson also played 10 more games this year and only put up 4 more points. In fact, Batherson paced 50 points and Bratt paced 53. So “more productive” is only true if you ignore context.

Batherson is three months older not eight.

How is it dishonest to say this is his first full season?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Batherson is three months older not eight.

How is it dishonest to say this is his first full season?

Oops, thought he was a 97. And either way, if you’re going to say that it was Batherson first full season ignoring 43 career games before, how can you consider Bratt to have played his fourth full season if he only played 46 games this year? And if they are about the same age with about the same production both on terrible teams this year, why is it being used in Batherson’s favor and not in Bratt’s?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Oops, thought he was a 97. And either way, if you’re going to say that it was Batherson first full season ignoring 43 career games before, how can you consider Bratt to have played his fourth full season if he only played 46 games this year?

Because the appropriate comparator for whether a player played a « full season » is the number of games in a season. This season was only 56 games.

46/56 games is 82% of the season. Correct me if I’m wrong but Bratt didn’t miss any games because of being sent down. He missed games because of injury.

Batherson’s 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons were partial because of him being sent down to the AHL where he played the majority of his games.

I think the poster’s point was pretty clearly that this was the first season Batherson was an NHL wire to wire.

If you want to argue that Bratt didn’t play a « full season » this year, or in his 50 game season, have at it, but it doesn’t really address the point he was making.

And if they are about the same age with about the same production both on terrible teams this year, why is it being used in Batherson’s favor and not in Bratt’s?

Now I’m not saying I agree, but I’d assume the argument that Batherson putting up those points in his first full season, dealing with personal and professional adjustments to playing at the NHL level, may suggest he has more room for growth whereas we have a better idea of what Bratt’s production will be given his history of production.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Because the appropriate comparator for whether a player played a « full season » is the number of games in a season. This season was only 56 games.

46/56 games is 82% of the season. Correct me if I’m wrong but Bratt didn’t miss any games because of being sent down. He missed games because of injury.

Batherson’s 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons were partial because of him being sent down to the AHL where he played the majority of his games.

I think the poster’s point was pretty clearly that this was the first season Batherson was an NHL wire to wire.

If you want to argue that Bratt didn’t play a « full season » this year, or in his 50 game season, have at it, but it doesn’t really address the point he was making.

Now I’m not saying I agree, but I’d assume the argument that Batherson putting up those points in his first full season, dealing with personal and professional adjustments to playing at the NHL level, may suggest he has more room for growth whereas we have a better idea of what Bratt’s production will be given his history of production.

Bratt missed training camp and some games due to not having a contract and then immigration/quarantine protocols. I don’t remember if he was injured at all this year or not.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Bratt missed training camp and some games due to not having a contract and then immigration/quarantine protocols. I don’t remember if he was injured at all this year or not.

Thanks for the correction, I know he missed a few because of injury, assumed it was that for the rest as well.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Other than age I really don't think Batherson and Bratt are comparable stylistically. Foote for the Devils would be a better head-to-head comparison as a bigger man with hands and a shot, if we're going by the Devils vs Sens future thread the other day.

First goal in this video shows the electricity/something-out-of-nothing ability that Bratt can create.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Here is a dose of reality and actual evidence for you to chew on...

30 out of 45 outside fans have chosen Batherson so far...

But yes, please continue asking why this even being asked at all (becasue Bratt is so obvious)... JFC...
Lol this is awesome. Your evidence is the results of this vote. They use actual numbers and your response is that this vote says otherwise. Is that really the best you can do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad