Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I feel like you're getting slightly mixed up. Why would a player "work up" to a worse salary structure? A player on a two-way contract can make as little as 70k a year (or something around that) whereas a one-way contract guarantees at least 650k per year.
I think he just has one way and two way switched in his head.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So ELCs are automatically two-way. I didn't know that, I always figured that you start one way and work your way up to a two way later.

ELCs are two way, but theoretically it doesn't cost Ottawa anymore to call up a player on their ELC since they have to ice a 20 player roster each night. So Paul gets sent down+Batherson up is mostly a wash salary wise for Ottawa.

So basically, Batherson is replacing someone else on a two way with a similar salary. OTT is still paying one player their AHL salary and one their NHL salary in this scenario.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
God, another number that hurts my eyes. Just when you think 36 was terrible...

Yashin in NYI . Ugly number is ugly

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not many of us would have predicted this top 6 happening so soon before training camp

Hopeful White is back 100% and Batherson doesn't miss a step and says so long to the AHL

Reactions: Icelevel

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
My god this is amazing if true..

The most awesome part about it is that all 6 of those guys in the top 6 fully deserve to be there right now. I see no plugs.

And that 3rd line could be great too. Even the 4th has the potential to be good. Just can't say enough good things about this lineup...
tbh Batherson didn't look ready in the pre season for NHL games.

That could change but lets wait and see before we call him a legit top 6 guys deserving of being there

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Excited to watch his debut. He's gonna be a star for the Sens one day.

Can't help but feel like this is a bit of a desperate bid to sell tickets though. Looks like there's only about 8-9k of tickets sold for Thursday. Call him up early and get the "enemy of the people" to build hype for his debut after a monster 6 point game on the weekend.

Or maybe. They are looking for a fit on the right side of the Duchene line. Batherson is ideal. I don’t get why everything has to be viewed that way. First it was Paul being sent down because of money and now Batherson is called up because of ticket sales. Get a grip.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Or maybe. They are looking for a fit on the right side of the Duchene line. Batherson is ideal. I don’t get why everything has to be viewed that way. First it was Paul being sent down because of money and now Batherson is called up because of ticket sales. Get a grip.
Why can't it be both?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
or maybe cause Paul just isn't that good atleast not yet

People overrate Paul like crazy on these boards and the only reason is cause he was in the Spezza deal

People may overrate Paul but adding this on , I don't agree. I personally don't connect them or think anything about Paul in connection with Spezza.
The Sens need some grit and some size imo. We have been watching the Ps bring basically nothing , zero, this year... We are looking for improvements . In a rebuild if that improvement can come through investing in a player with a chance of a future, vs continually playing players who bring next to nothing and have no future..people will generally want to give the prospect a chance. Now if you actually see what those Ps are bringing ,,, please enlighten us; And don't tell us , if they were no good the coach wouldn't play them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Batherson in the top 6- where he ultimately fits, and Paul in the bottom 6 where he ultimately fits...
IMO it has to do with not leaving Belleville with nothing ; and Boucher not wanting so many rookies in the lineup.

Reactions: aragorn and bert

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

People overrate Paul like crazy on these boards and the only reason is cause he was in the Spezza deal
Wasn't talking about Paul at all. I think it can definitely be a case of wanting a RW for the top 6 and wanting to build hype to sell tickets to a game where they're looking at having less than 10k in attendance. And honestly, that would be a good marketing strategy imo. If I wasn't boycotting, it be all over this to watch Drake in his first game.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Batherson in the top 6- where he ultimately fits, and Paul in the bottom 6 where he ultimately fits...
IMO it has to do with not leaving Belleville with nothing ; and Boucher not wanting so many rookies in the lineup.

I just think Boucher is not a fan of Paul. I like what he can bring, though he is a little erratic and sometimes his puck management is poor. I can see why a Coach would have an issue with that type of play from a bottom 6 player. Paul needs to find consistency in his game.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He was absolutely terrific in his recent call up. What are you talking about.

Thank you for the level headed and accurate response.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just think Boucher is not a fan of Paul. I like what he can bring, though he is a little erratic and sometimes his puck management is poor. I can see why a Coach would have an issue with that type of play from a bottom 6 player. Paul needs to find consistency in his game.
I agree ; Its one of those things though... Give him a role... Work with him; If he improves.. give him another chance.. The 11-7 blender and up and down probably doesn't do him any favors .. I think he is a bottom 6 winger.. He isn't mobile enough to play C. He could take some draws. So I would play him at the role you project him at and work with him there.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I agree ; Its one of those things though... Give him a role... Work with him; If he improves.. give him another chance.. The 11-7 blender and up and down probably doesn't do him any favors .. I think he is a bottom 6 winger.. He isn't mobile enough to play C. He could take some draws. So I would play him at the role you project him at and work with him there.
Yeah
I agree to an extent. It would be nice to see him get to stay in one role. The problem is in Belleville he is a a top 6 player but in the NHL he never will be that. For a bottom 6 player I don’t think the NHL is the league where you figure out your positioning, and that’s something Paul still has to do. To me it seems like Dorion is trying to give Paul a chance but Boucher is reluctant.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yes was amazing on the forcheck and hounded the puck, best he has looked in the NHL. They benched Pjaarvi and Pyatt one game and ran three lines with Paul playing a regular shift.
you are definitely overrating paul

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you are definitely overrating paul

Because I said he had a few good games and was hard on the forcheck? I am overrating him? Please provide some sort of context. Lots of people that understand hockey very well recognized and noticed his strong play. Troy Mann and Steve Lloyd if you are looking for examples but the coaching staff did too obviously by his icetime. The only reason he was sent down over Pyatt and Mccormick is because he is on a two way deal. So yes part of the reason he was sent down was financial.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Because I said he had a few good games and was hard on the forcheck? I am overrating him? Please provide some sort of context. Lots of people that understand hockey very well recognized and noticed his strong play. Troy Mann and Steve Lloyd if you are looking for examples but the coaching staff did too obviously by his icetime. The only reason he was sent down over Pyatt and Mccormick is because he is on a two way deal. So yes part of the reason he was sent down was financial.
you said he was terrific and amazing on the forecheck. He looks like an alright bottom 6 NHL forward. He was sent down to continue his development in a top 6 role perhaps eventually finding a permanent home on the NHL club once the deadline has passed.

but to say he was terrific is an overstatement

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you said he was terrific and amazing on the forecheck. He looks like an alright bottom 6 NHL forward

Do you have a shift key on your keyboard or the ability to provide punctuation?

He was terrific on his recent call up compared to his previous ones and he was amazing on he forcheck anyone that understand hockey was able to identify this.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad