Which duo is better?

• Draisaitl + Nurse

• Monahan + Hanifin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sure he does. Because he’s so much better than Monahan... :eyeroll:

Neutral fan, i'd take Drai 11 times / 10 over Monahan if i had a choice. And not to appeal to an HF Boards poll as anything meaninful, it's 70-30 in favor of EDM despite Hanafin being almost objectively better than Nurse riht now.

Reactions: biturbo19

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not taking contracts into consideration is Chiarelli's specialty.

I don't think the gap between Monahan and Draisaitl is very big at all. Sean had 6 less points last year playing less games and playing injured for several months. Monahan scores more goals, Draisaitl sets his teammates up better. Draisaitl also gets to play with the back to back Art Ross winner.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Not taking contracts into consideration is Chiarelli's specialty.

I don't think the gap between Monahan and Draisaitl is very big at all. Sean had 6 less points last year playing less games and playing injured for several months. Monahan scores more goals, Draisaitl sets his teammates up better. Draisaitl also gets to play with the back to back Art Ross winner.

Monahan benefits more playing with Gaudreau then Drai having having McDavid on his team.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
So.. Gaudreau > McDavid? :huh: First time I've seen an Oiler fan argue that.
He never said that Gaudreau is better than McDavid. He was saying how Monahan benefits more playing with Gaudreau since it inflates his stats more.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He never said that Gaudreau is better than McDavid. He was saying how Monahan benefits more playing with Gaudreau since it inflates his stats more.

Draisaitl's most common linemate was still, for the second straight year, the Art Ross winning Connor McDavid. Not sure how you can definitively claim that Gaudreau inflates Monahan's stats more than McDavid inflates Draisaitl's. They both benefit from playing with elite players, how much is kind of hard to quantify. Draisaitl certainly benefited to the tune of 68 million dollars after one great season playing wing for McJesus.

As far as being big 2 way Cs I don't think either player has got there yet and have more room to grow.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Draisaitl's most common linemate was still, for the second straight year, the Art Ross winning Connor McDavid. Not sure how you can definitively claim that Gaudreau inflates Monahan's stats more than McDavid inflates Draisaitl's. They both benefit from playing with elite players, how much is kind of hard to quantify. Draisaitl certainly benefited to the tune of 68 million dollars after one great season playing wing for McJesus.

As far as being big 2 way Cs I don't think either player has got there yet and have more room to grow.
Sigh. Yes Draisaitl’s most common line mate was Mcdavid, however, he spent more time away from Mcdavid than with him. He was shuffled around all the time. Gaudreau played much more with Monahan, than Mcdavid did with Draisaitl.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Monahan played 92% of his 5v5 minutes with Gaudreau while Draisaitl played 44% of his 5v5 minutes with McDavid. Its pretty easy to see who benefitted more from their line mate last year.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Drai played 53% of the time without McDavid. Monahan played way more with Gaudreau

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sigh. Yes Draisaitl’s most common line mate was Mcdavid, however, he spent more time away from Mcdavid than with him. He was shuffled around all the time. Gaudreau played much more with Monahan, than Mcdavid did with Draisaitl.

Monahan played 92% of his 5v5 minutes with Gaudreau while Draisaitl played 44% of his 5v5 minutes with McDavid. Its pretty easy to see who benefitted more from their line mate last year.

Drai played 53% of the time without McDavid. Monahan played way more with Gaudreau

Well that would make sense.. Considering Gaudreau and Monahan play different positions and McDavid and Draisaitl play the same. Doesnt change the fact a significant portion of Drai's production came with his most common linemate Connor McDavid.

How does he produce away from McDavid? Is he capable of driving a line and elevating the players around him? Honestly asking, I watched some Oiler games but not a ton. Only time I ever saw him in the highlights it was the two of them together. I know he often gets compared to Kopitar but from what I've seen he's not there as a big 2 way beast. So far in his career he's had the good fortune of playing with a variety of #1 picks.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well that would make sense.. Considering Gaudreau and Monahan play different positions and McDavid and Draisaitl play the same. Doesnt change the fact a significant portion of Drai's production came with his most common linemate Connor McDavid.

How does he produce away from McDavid? Is he capable of driving a line and elevating the players around him? Honestly asking, I watched some Oiler games but not a ton. Only time I ever saw him in the highlights it was the two of them together. I know he often gets compared to Kopitar but from what I've seen he's not there as a big 2 way beast. So far in his career he's had the good fortune of playing with a variety of #1 picks.

Drai can definitely drive a line, I wouldn't say he's near Kopitar right now but there are some similarities to their play. Obviously Kopitar is one of the very best two way players in the game,

One thing that can be frustrating with Drai (like most young players) is he can run really hot and cold. When he's on he's a ****ing unstoppable beast but when he's off he can look almost disinterested and turns the puck over a lot.

Overall he's a fantastic player, we really need to find him a winger though. We found McDavid one with Nuge, those two are phenomenal together. Drai still needs to find his guy to really maximize him.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
On what planet is it "close"?

The gap between Draisaitl and Monahan is a lot bigger then Hanifin and Nurse.

Nurse is better than Hanifin right now. Hanifin was heavily sheltered and still bled goals against.

Hanifin might be better than Nurse one day, but he's not right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Drai is quite a lot better than Monahan. Nurse is also better than Hanifin. Hanifin might pass Nurse, but we can pretty much guarantee Monahan won’t pass Drai. And even if Hanifin does pass Nurse, the gap likely won’t be as big as the gap between Drai and Monahan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad