Draisaitl - Germany - WJHC

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
The Oilers should loan Leon Draisaitl to Germany for the WJHC. It will give Leon a break from the Edmonton Oilers, allow him to have some fun playing for his country and could possibly boost his confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
The Oilers should loan Leon Draisaitl to Germany for the WJHC. It will give Leon a break from the Edmonton Oilers, allow him to have some fun playing for his country and could possibly boost his confidence.

Drai has Oilers stink on him. As such, I'd rather not send him to the WJHC only to have him captain the Germans to another early tournament exit and subsequently get blamed at home (because he's got the Oilers stink on him) for the teams poor showing.

Last edited by a moderator:

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I think it would be good for him to represent Germany at the WJCs simply because it's always special representing your country in an international tournament, but I don't necessarily think it's something that will help his development.

I think the biggest thing for him is in adjusting to the speed of the NHL game, and the only place he's going to do that is in the NHL, even if he's only getting the 10-14 minutes a game he's been averaging this year.

Returning to junior probably won't hurt him, nor will playing in the WJC, but he'll get the most benefit playing in the NHL and practicing with the team IMO.

Eirhead*

Really hope they let him play for the World Juniors... then send him back down to the minors afterwards for the remainder of the season. At least let him score some goals if he can't play for a winning team. His confidence is going to be completely shot if he plays the whole season here.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Really hope they let him play for the World Juniors... then send him back down to the minors afterwards for the remainder of the season. At least let him score some goals if he can't play for a winning team. His confidence is going to be completely shot if he plays the whole season here.

Yeah Drai should be playing with Morrissey in PA or the Oil Kings should've traded for him. He shouldn't be on the Oilers this season.

This will definitely stunt his development.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I think it would be good for him to represent Germany at the WJCs simply because it's always special representing your country in an international tournament, but I don't necessarily think it's something that will help his development.

I think the biggest thing for him is in adjusting to the speed of the NHL game, and the only place he's going to do that is in the NHL, even if he's only getting the 10-14 minutes a game he's been averaging this year.

Returning to junior probably won't hurt him, nor will playing in the WJC, but he'll get the most benefit playing in the NHL and practicing with the team IMO.

I agree that he needs to adjust to the speed of the NHL, but I disagree that playing for the Oilers this season will benefit him. He's now going to leave the NHL this season with zero confidence. He should've been sent back to Juniors after the 9 games with the motivation of knowing what he needs to improve, without being subjected to the current Oilers gongshow.

There's no shame of sending a prospect back to juniors for more development! Look at how long it takes good young players to crack the Red Wings lineup.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
If we 'lend' him to Germany, that's a calling for him to go back to Junior. Just send him back to P.A. if you're gunna' send him to the WJC, which I don't think they'll do.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

WJC is a good move. Short-term break from the NHL grind. It will be much faster than the WHL so the dropoff won't be too bad.

Will give Eakins the chance to try a few different line combos with Ansimov.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I would definitely let him play in the WJC. Let him get some top ice time again, let him get some confidence with the puck (I realize they likely won't do well so that's as far as the confidence extends). I think the kid needs a break from this **** show. It's only going to get worse as the losses mount and people use him as an example as to why.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
I agree that he needs to adjust to the speed of the NHL, but I disagree that playing for the Oilers this season will benefit him. He's now going to leave the NHL this season with zero confidence. He should've been sent back to Juniors after the 9 games with the motivation of knowing what he needs to improve, without being subjected to the current Oilers gongshow.

There's no shame of sending a prospect back to juniors for more development! Look at how long it takes good young players to crack the Red Wings lineup.

Like I said, I don't think it would hurt him to go back, I just don't think keeping him is harming him. In fact, I think it's best.

And I know Detroit is known as a team that doesn't rush their prospects, but when they were in the Oilers' situation (ie. a bad team getting high picks in the draft), they had no problem with them going straight to the NHL. The last time they had a pick higher than 20 was 1990 with Keith Primeau. He played in the NHL the following season. In 86, they took Murphy 1st overall and started him in the NHL. He went to the minors after 5 games, but he started in the NHL. And of course, Steve Yzerman made the jump right away after going 4th overall in '83.

Detroit's "rule" of letting players develop has just as much to do with them 1) not needing them because they're already a good team, and 2) they rarely get players in the draft with the kind of pedigree that would allow them to make the jump than it does with any kind of team philosophy.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Like I said, I don't think it would hurt him to go back, I just don't think keeping him is harming him. In fact, I think it's best.

And I know Detroit is known as a team that doesn't rush their prospects, but when they were in the Oilers' situation (ie. a bad team getting high picks in the draft), they had no problem with them going straight to the NHL. The last time they had a pick higher than 20 was 1990 with Keith Primeau. He played in the NHL the following season. In 86, they took Murphy 1st overall and started him in the NHL. He went to the minors after 5 games, but he started in the NHL. And of course, Steve Yzerman made the jump right away after going 4th overall in '83.

Detroit's "rule" of letting players develop has just as much to do with them 1) not needing them because they're already a good team, and 2) they rarely get players in the draft with the kind of pedigree that would allow them to make the jump than it does with any kind of team philosophy.

Yzerman had 87 points in his rookie year and was obviously NHL-ready. He and Draisaitl are not comparable.
Joe Murphy actually played his first pro year in the AHL.
Draisaitl is on pace for less points than Primeau was in his rookie year, and Primeau had more dimensions to his game than just offensive flair. He was physical and could play well in the bottom six.

Draisaitl is just so obviously not NHL-ready, and that's why he should be sent back.

Eirhead*

Yeah Drai should be playing with Morrissey in PA or the Oil Kings should've traded for him. He shouldn't be on the Oilers this season.

This will definitely stunt his development.

I think if they get him back down, development can be salvaged. He'll have sizeable NHL experience going back to a junior team that he could lead to playoffs.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
Yzerman had 87 points in his rookie year and was obviously NHL-ready. He and Draisaitl are not comparable.
Joe Murphy actually played his first pro year in the AHL.
Draisaitl is on pace for less points than Primeau was in his rookie year, and Primeau had more dimensions to his game than just offensive flair. He was physical and could play well in the bottom six.

Draisaitl is just so obviously not NHL-ready, and that's why he should be sent back.

I don't disagree with what you're saying (although Primeau was not the two way player he was in Philly as a rookie, nor was he any more physically capable than Draisaitl).

My post wasn't comparing Draisatl to any of those players, just to point out that the "Detroit way" of developing kids by keeping them in the minors for years and years wasn't their way when they were actually getting top prospects high in the draft. The latest selection from the Oilers to jump directly to the NHL was Gagner who went 6th overall. Even Paajarvi, who was a top 10 pick spent the following year in Sweden before playing in the NHL.

The players who've "over-ripened" in the minors have all been late 1st rounders (20th or later) and guys taken in later rounds. The Oilers haven't brought up their 2-7 round picks any sooner than the Redwings have. The only player the Oilers have ever taken outside of the top 10 to play the next year in the NHL was Kevin Lowe and he was the first pick they ever made.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
If there is one thing that does not concern me, it is that the spirit of Leon Draisaitl will break.

He is German, the mental fortitude compared to the modern Canadian World Jr. Hero does not at all compute.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would definitely let him play in the WJC. Let him get some top ice time again, let him get some confidence with the puck (I realize they likely won't do well so that's as far as the confidence extends). I think the kid needs a break from this **** show. It's only going to get worse as the losses mount and people use him as an example as to why.

If anyone blames a rookie center for this teams woes, they are complete morons. Draisaitl should be the last person to be targeted.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'd definitely let him go. Get back, have some fun with his german friends and build the confidence back up. Getting a break from this mess would obviously be a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00