Draisaitl for Hart?

thread

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah.

Crosby/Malkin all over again. Malkin really only gained his reputation as a 1A/B with Crosby when he outshined Crosby for a full year (2009) and then again in playoffs (again, 2009 smythe).

Drai has never done that.He's a really good player and on a fantastic hot streak, and has gone through stretches where he might outplay McDavid - but i don't think people will believe he has what it takes to outproduce McDavid in a full season (esp in a good year for McDavid). But if he actually does? He should definitely get the credit that comes with it.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
if he wins the scoring race by 1 point and the Oilers make the playoffs....he should win the Hart

The Art Ross is the trophy for top scorer. If the Oilers make the playoffs and Draisaitl finishes with one more point than McDavid or another player who has a better all around game, Draisaitl shouldn’t be the vote.

However, Draisaitl is my pick for the Q1 Hart.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Art Ross is the trophy for top scorer. If the Oilers make the playoffs and Draisaitl finishes with one more point than McDavid or another player who has a better all around game, Draisaitl shouldn’t be the vote.

However, Draisaitl is my pick for the Q1 Hart.
thanks....didn't know that

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly curious: when is the last time a player won the Hart when he played on a team that had another 100+ point player who also put up a Hart-caliber season?

Lemieux did it with Jagr also scoring 100+, but I can't recall off the top of my head the last time someone since that did it.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Really depends on what everyone else does. McDavid will still be well over 100 points as well.

I’d imagine there will be at least one other player who leads his team in points by more than Drai leads mcdavid, and whose team is in the playoffs.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly curious: when is the last time a player won the Hart when he played on a team that had another 100+ point player who also put up a Hart-caliber season?

Lemieux did it with Jagr also scoring 100+, but I can't recall off the top of my head the last time someone since that did it.

The aforementioned Malkin-Crosby '09 season is probably the closest. Malkin was 2nd to Ovechkin, despite Crosby finishing 3rd in scoring with 100. But if there's no Ovechkin he likely would have won despite Crosby. But I think part of that is how rare it is for two players on the same tesm to be top 3-5 players in a single season. Kariya also finished 2nd in '97 despite Selanne finishing 2nd in scoring with 109 points. Naslund finished 2nd in '04 despite Bertuzzi having a similar season. Ovechkin was 2nd in '10 despite Backstrom having 100 points, though there was clear separation between them. Daniel Sedin and St. Louis finished 2nd and 3rd in voting in '11 despite their linemates finishing top 5 in scoring. Like MJ said, the competition is a major factor. Usually when it's happened previous with high scoring duos, there's another player on a similar or higher level that ends up taking it. But I think if Draisaitl is ahead of McDavid AND no one else has a comparable season, then he woukd have a good shot.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad