Dragon's Dogma 2 - March 22nd 2024

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

This game is looking awesome. I love the scale of the monsters and how you can climb onto them as they physically interact with the world. Should be one of the top games of the year and I can't wait to play it.

However, console players should be aware that performance is not looking good. The game runs uncapped, hovering near 30 FPS and dropping below that during combat with no option for a 30 FPS cap or performance mode.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Reviews are looking good, 87 on metacritic for PS5 and 90 for PC. However it seems performance may be an issue if you don't have a really strong CPU.

Last edited:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Anyone actually try this on PS5 yet? Really want to buy, but interested in 1st hand noncritic observations on performance

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Played for an hour and a half last night, performance could use some work but I'm having a good time. Hopefully frame generation is added soon, apparently the files are already in the game directory and it would help out a lot

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This game looks like a mess. Micro-transactions aside, one save file in a 2024 single player RPG... Really? It also looks so unappealing visually and i am not necessarily talking about the graphics but the choice of color palettes.

This should be a hard pass for anyone that respects their time.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
This game looks like a mess. Micro-transactions aside, one save file in a 2024 single player RPG... Really? It also looks so unappealing visually and i am not necessarily talking about the graphics but the choice of color palettes.

This should be a hard pass for anyone that respects their time.

full

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Baldur's Gate 3 is the industry standard now. It's not really an opinion that this falls way short of that.
I mean In terms of only having one save file, I agree that kind of sucks but what you’ve said about not liking the color pallet and that anyone who respects their time should pass on this game, that’s completely opinion based. There are a ton of people enjoying the game right now, regardless if it’s flaws. Baldur’s Gate might be the new industry standard but it’s going to be a long ass time before the majority of games released start reaching that standard, you should still be able to enjoy other games in the meantime

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I mean In terms of only having one save file, I agree that kind of sucks but what you’ve said about not liking the color pallet and that anyone who respects their time should pass on this game, that’s completely opinion based. There are a ton of people enjoying the game right now, regardless if it’s flaws. Baldur’s Gate might be the new industry standard but it’s going to be a long ass time before the majority of games released start reaching that standard, you should still be able to enjoy other games in the meantime
The PC ports has performance issues and it's not even a proper port but a lazy console port. These kinds of games are usually better on PC because of things like remapping controls and keybinds to your liking and the game inhibits that. It also plays poorly on mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a lazy console port.

They also hid micro-transactions from review copies as to gain favorable reviews and they then spliced them in before release. That's why there is a big disparity between review scores and players scores. That's just scummy anti-consumer behavior and they know it.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The PC ports has performance issues and it's not even a proper port but a lazy console port. These kinds of games are usually better on PC because of things like remapping controls and keybinds to your liking and the game inhibits that. It also plays poorly on mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a lazy console port.

They also hid micro-transactions from review copies as to gain favorable reviews and they then spliced them in before release. That's why there is a big disparity between review scores and players scores. That's just scummy anti-consumer behavior and they know it.
You talking about the windows central review? Because that guy ended up saying he didn't read the review guide. Jez Corden is a resident shithead and one of those guys who is always looking to stir gamer rage about anything.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm 10 hours in and this game is better than anything I've played in the last year aside from RE4 and System Shock remakes and maybe Mario Wonder. My only hang ups so far have been with performance and some graphical oddities like random extremely low res textures.

Most of the criticisms I've seen outside of performance are things I either haven't encountered or can ignore entirely.

Reactions: Tw1ster

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Baldur's Gate 3 is the industry standard now. It's not really an opinion that this falls way short of that.
This is a dumb way of looking at games. A great achievement/lightning in a bottle game releases and then you're going to hold it up as the base line? That's not how it works.

Reactions: 542365

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This is a dumb way of looking at games. A great achievement/lightning in a bottle game releases and then you're going to hold it up as the base line? That's not how it works.
That's actually how that works. Why do you think that so many modern games have a form of Z-targeting that was introduced in Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Because it set the standard for combat in 3D worlds.

The Witcher 3 was also the standard for RPGs for many years. The same thing with many Bioware games like the Mass Effect trilogy.

Those projects were massive undertakings at the time but they are seen as very standard today.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I have to ask, what exactly did Baldur's Gate 3 do that was so different from this game? That game also suffered from performance issues and bugs at launch. No frame generation support to this day outside of mods. No keyboard and mouse support on console. They have DLC that contains in-game items despite claiming that their game has no microtransactions. I often see people act like Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring had perfect launches when really people just ignored the issues like I choose to do with this game.

Anyways, here are some notes for an upcoming update.

Reactions: Tw1ster

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That's actually how that works. Why do you think that so many modern games have a form of Z-targeting that was introduced in Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Because it set the standard for combat in 3D worlds.

The Witcher 3 was also the standard for RPGs for many years. The same thing with many Bioware games like the Mass Effect trilogy.

Those projects were massive undertakings at the time but they are seen as very standard today.
The Witcher 3 isn't even an rpg properly speaking. It's a great title, but in terms of greatness I don't think any team matched it until BG3 and even then- totally different genre and it's not like every game since has sucked until BG3. I don't think any open world game has been better than Morrowind, but that doesn't mean open world games since Morrowind have sucked. I don't think any big budget films have suprassed the Lord of the Rings since it released, but that doesn't mean every film since then has sucked because it didn't. I don't think any shooter has even touched Halo 3 since it released, yet there have been good and worthwhile shooters released since then.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
35 hours in and still having a great time, I've only touched two vocations as well. The combat is so good that I don't mind having to walk back and forth across the map fighting random enemies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad