Draftrank's 2011 NHL Mock Draft

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Your comparisons are really awful, like serious some of the worst I've seen, but the mock is really nice I like it and the writeups are well written.

Agreed. The order of selection is solid, and daresay somewhat original, however I wouldn't say that the comparisons are solid. For example, to compare Larsson to Lidstrom is a bit of a stretch.

All things equal though, selection is most important, and this one was pretty solid.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I'd agree the selections seemed pretty solid. I'm not one to read deeply into comparisons anyways so won't go there. Think a lot of the picks make sense.

I guess one thing that did surprise me was Puempel not being in the top 30. While his injury may bring questions I can't imagine he's going to slip out of the first round completely.

Last edited:

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Agreed. The order of selection is solid, and daresay somewhat original, however I wouldn't say that the comparisons are solid. For example, to compare Larsson to Lidstrom is a bit of a stretch.

All things equal though, selection is most important, and this one was pretty solid.

When I compare Larsson to Lidstrom, I'm not saying that Larsson is the next Lidstrom. It's not a "best-case scenario" type thing, it's a skillset comparison.

What are some comparisons you really disliked? To be honest, there were some guys I haven't seem play, so their comparison and prospect grade were based on what I read, and youtube highlights if any. For example, it's extremely hard to find info on Jonathan Miller. There's no official listing (as far as I know) of his weight/height, no youtube videos of him, no HockeyDB page, etc. All I had to go on were his stats, his MyNHLDraft write-up (which is horrible), and an ESPN insider article about him. So I can understand if you're saying that comparison is off, because it probably is.

Yeah I'd agree the selections seemed pretty solid. I'm not one to read deeply into comparisons anyways so won't go there. Think a lot of the picks make sense.

I guess one thing that did surprise me was Puempel not being in the top 30. While his injury may bring questions I can't imagine he's going to slip out of the first round completely.

I completely forgot about Puempel. I'm probably cheating a bit but I added him in.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I completely forgot about Puempel. I'm probably cheating a bit but I added him in.
Well forgetting happens. Since he got slotted in now I think it's fine. Though since I pointed it out you could have let him slip to Toronto ;).

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Well forgetting happens. Since he got slotted in now I think it's fine. Though since I pointed it out you could have let him slip to Toronto ;).

As a Leaf fan myself I wish he would slip to Toronto but I doubt he will.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Almost everything after your top 5.

Worst one was Mayfield to Erskine. They're really off or streches for the most part.

To be honest, I've never seen Scott Mayfield play before.

A lot of the CHL ones should be pretty accurate though IMO.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
This is as good a mock as I've seen.

Saad, Biggs, Grimaldi, and maybe even Mayfield are ranked too high, imho.

Only Biggs and maybe Mayfield are first round (late) material from where I stand.

Some teams may be willing to take a shot at Saad or Grimaldi in the first, but I think they'd be reaching by a fair bit if they did. Grimaldi's size and Saad's drive are very legitimate concerns.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
This is as good a mock as I've seen.

Saad, Biggs, Grimaldi, and maybe even Mayfield are ranked too high, imho.

Only Biggs and maybe Mayfield are first round (late) material from where I stand.

Some teams may be willing to take a shot at Saad or Grimaldi in the first, but I think they'd be reaching by a fair bit if they did. Grimaldi's size and Saad's drive are very legitimate concerns.

Saad - Has the tools to be a top 10, but doesn't play like it.

Biggs - One of the safest picks a team can make. Almost a guaranteed NHLer, only question is his upside.

Grimaldi - I think TB takes a chance on him given the success that St. Louis has had.

Mayfield - I'm sure VAN takes a dman, and Mayfield is the best defender available at that point.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
I can't see Snow taking Murphy and leaving Hamilton,the safer pick,still on the board at #5.I wouldn't be surprised to see Snow trade back 1-2 slots and then take Hamilton.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade down if possible either, but if it doesn't happen I say he takes Murphy. He has more upside, although the risk is higher.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
agree with some and can't agree with others. My list

1. Oilers - RHN - There is no doubt about it. Will be centering in a line with Hall by his side for a long time
2. Avs - Landeskog - This team lacks a leader more than anything right now. Larsson pick possible but unlikely with Erik Johnson pickup
3. Panthers - Couturier - They also really need a franchise type D, so Larsson could be a big possibility. But i can't see them passing Couturier up. Excellent two way centre that could help panthers become significant just like how Staal helped Carolina
4. Devils - Larsson - Lou will get lucky. Franchise D the Devils need
5. Islanders - Murphy - I think they will pick Murphy. They have quite a bit of forward talent and need a future franchise type d
6. Senators - Strome - They could also go with Mika z. They need another centre other than Spezza. Strome brings alot of skill and speed
7. Thrashers - Hurbedeau - Skating is mediocre but knows how to score points. Thrashers are already set on defense and need some more offensive firepower
8. CBJ - Hamilton - No brainer pick for them. They need help on D, especially for the powerplay
9. Bruins - Beaulieu - The type of offensive D they lack in the organization. Could possibly make the team next year and work the powerplay if he can fill out
10. Wild - Mika Z - best player available. darkhorse pick
11. Avs - Siemens - If their plan pans out , they get a forward landeskog at #2 and quality d Beaulieu or Siemens #11. Oleksiak is also a possibility if somehow all the top 5 d's are gone by 10
12. Hurracaines - Oleksiak - Need defensive help and oleksiak is a giant with alot of potential.
13. Flames - Mark Schiefele
14. Dallas Stars - Armia
15. Rangers - JT Miller
16. Sabres - Saad
17. Canadiens - Mcneill
18. Hawks - Phillips
19. Oilers - Morrow
20. Coyotes - Bartschi

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I would like to see the Wings draft someone like Jaskin or Rask or Jurco if they were avaliable, maybe even Klefboom if they went for a D, Brodin is not bad.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I can tell you with near certainty that if McNeill is on the board when the Sabres pick, he's theirs. They need a top-6 center prospect in the worst way, especially with it looking more likely that Luke Adam will be a LW in the NHL. Sundher is a nice 3C prospect for the Sabres, but he's probably not top-6 material.

I think they'll pick McNeill or Scheifele (coached by ex-Sabre Dale Hawerchuk) in the draft.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
I can tell you with near certainty that if McNeill is on the board when the Sabres pick, he's theirs. They need a top-6 center prospect in the worst way, especially with it looking more likely that Luke Adam will be a LW in the NHL. Sundher is a nice 3C prospect for the Sabres, but he's probably not top-6 material.

I think they'll pick McNeill or Scheifele (coached by ex-Sabre Dale Hawerchuk) in the draft.

I was under the impression that they had Roy and Connolly as their 1st and 2nd line centers. Plus I thought Ennis or Adam could play C if needed, plus if worse comes to worst, Boyes used to play C back in the day. I thought wing and defense were their biggest needs, with center and goaltending being the least of their worries.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I was under the impression that they had Roy and Connolly as their 1st and 2nd line centers. Plus I thought Ennis or Adam could play C if needed, plus if worse comes to worst, Boyes used to play C back in the day. I thought wing and defense were their biggest needs, with center and goaltending being the least of their worries.

Under no circumstances should the Sabres allow Brad Boyes to play center. He tried it in St. Louis on a few occasions, with absolutely no success.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Connolly is UFA after this season. There's a definite possibility that, considering his concussion in Game 6 of the Flyers series, he's played his last game as a Buffalo Sabre. Regardless, the presence of Roy and Connolly are irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that the system has zero top-6 center prospects right now. Adam and Ennis are both better-suited to the wing. Both were tried at center in the AHL before being moved over to the wing. Ennis is definitely a left wing in the NHL. Regarding Adam, he's a bigger player and there are real questions whether he has the footspeed to play NHL center. Like Ennis, his game is better suited to the wing.

And, as Prussian Blue pointed out, Boyes will not be a center going forward. He was put there out of necessity due to the injuries that have ravaged Buffalo at center, but he didn't perform well at all. He's a winger.

Buffalo will pick a center in the first round of this draft, and it'll likely be McNeill or Scheifele, but probably the former if he's still on the board.

Analyzer*

Almost everything after your top 5.

Worst one was Mayfield to Erskine. They're really off or streches for the most part.

Well, to be fair with the op, at least he compares them to NHL players unlike TSN who compared Phillip Paradis with Max Pacioretty.

Mark McNeill to the habs ? Yes please :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad