Drafting on talent - O'Sullivan, Schremp, Kopitar, Kessel

hockeymetrics

Jul 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
All 4 of these guys had questions about them for different reasons when they were drafted. O'Sullivan had the family issues. Schremp and Kessel with their personality issues. Kopitar was questioned because Slovenia has no history of producing NHL players. What was NEVER questioned about these guys on draft day was their talent level. Why are teams so concerned with character and other factors (safe picks) above talent? O'Sullivan lasted to the 56th pick even though he was considered a top 10-15 talent. Schremp 25th even though he was considered a top 5-10 talent. Kopitar 11th even though he was considered around 5th or 6th best after sid, johnson, ryan, pouliot, and probably about even with brule. I see Kessel following in these players footsteps in becoming elite prospects after being questioned, but not about their talent. I guess he's a bit different because he was still drafted top 5, but this just bugs me. Imagine how well off your team would be if they had drafted a few of these guys. A lot of teams could have easily drafted 3 of these guys.

Yes, I know the Kings now have two of them, but imagine if the Kings had just drafted O'Sullivan with their 2nd rounder in 2003 instead of Konstantin Pushkarev and then traded Pavol Demitra for something else.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
All 4 of these guys had questions about them for different reasons when they were drafted. O'Sullivan had the family issues. Schremp and Kessel with their personality issues. Kopitar was questioned because Slovenia has no history of producing NHL players. What was NEVER questioned about these guys on draft day was their talent level. Why are teams so concerned with character and other factors (safe picks) above talent? O'Sullivan lasted to the 56th pick even though he was considered a top 10-15 talent. Schremp 25th even though he was considered a top 5-10 talent. Kopitar 11th even though he was considered around 5th or 6th best after sid, johnson, ryan, pouliot, and probably about even with brule. I see Kessel following in these players footsteps in becoming elite prospects after being questioned, but not about their talent. I guess he's a bit different because he was still drafted top 5, but this just bugs me. Imagine how well off your team would be if they had drafted a few of these guys. A lot of teams could have easily drafted 3 of these guys.

Yes, I know the Kings now have two of them, but imagine if the Kings had just drafted O'Sullivan with their 2nd rounder in 2003 instead of Konstantin Pushkarev and then traded Pavol Demitra for something else.

The reason why things such as character and such come into play is because it takes a lot more than talent to make the NHL. It takes a level of dedication to the game, both during the season and offseason. You need the proper attitude to get along with your teammates and to be coachable.

The Kopitar thing is a bit different, but a lot of teams don't like to draft guys with any question marks. Not only was Kopitar the first high draftee from Slovenia, even though he did have a good hockey pedigree, you never know how a young guy looks against real competion; that should have been addressed when he went to the SEL. There were some questions about his skating ability, and that didn't help some teams doubts about him.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think the drafting of Kopitar late because of his nationality was stupid.

However, I do think character is a key component of a player's development. If their personality is not condusive to the work and drive it takes to become the best NHL'er they can be, then teams are right to take pause.

There are a number of examples of players with a wealth of talent failing before they make it to the NHL because aof said character issues.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
I think the drafting of Kopitar late because of his nationality was stupid.

I agree in principle that it is stupid to judge someone based on their nationality but in this case I think it was more a case of not having seen Kopitar play against known quantities, and not scouting him enough from an earlier age due to his location. By the time many of the 18 y.o. players are ready to be drafted they have played against each other hundreds of times and can therefore be compared more easily. I don't think that his draft fell because he is Slovanian; I think it fell because he grew up in Slovania (if that makes any sense).

jurtur

Sep 6, 2005
Slovenia
I agree in principle that it is stupid to judge someone based on their nationality but in this case I think it was more a case of not having seen Kopitar play against known quantities, and not scouting him enough from an earlier age due to his location. By the time many of the 18 y.o. players are ready to be drafted they have played against each other hundreds of times and can therefore be compared more easily. I don't think that his draft fell because he is Slovanian; I think it fell because he grew up in Slovania (if that makes any sense).

He is Slovenian and from Slovenia not Slovania :teach:

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Maybe, but he was slated top-six by all of the experts...so he obviously proved something to a few people. I think he was let go because he wasn't from a conventional hockey market.

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com

no team wants a cancer in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad