Drafting defencemen on the First round

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Good thing you have 6 times as many later round picks.

But the numbers arent supporting that

If six times as many players are drafted outside vs inside round one, then you should see six times more dmen in the top 50 in the league drafted after round 1, but you don't.

It's not even 50-50

Mike Puck

Feb 10, 2015
Swe
The question would have been between Wahlstrom, Hughes and Bouchard, if your draft chart is based on those values.

Yes maybe, but even then there is no any hidden intelligent plan to draft only forwards as you suggest. It was just a coincidence that Zadina fell for them, otherwise they've most likely picked one of the D you would think.

What concerns me is the fact that they're going offence first, and that leaves many questions if they're going to get that much desired top D. Via trade, it's all about luck to have right D available and match every other teams offers. With top pick, it's a long wait. And besides drafting offence recently, we still lack that elite C too.

When you evaluate well and find elite talent to key positions, you have best chances to end up having those much needed core pieces for next 15+years. I'm not sure if they have any specific plan at the moment, last two drafts and they've ended up pretty much everything else but elite D/C prospect in the system.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yes maybe, but even then there is no any hidden intelligent plan to draft only forwards as you suggest. It was just a coincidence that Zadina fell for them, otherwise they've most likely picked one of the D you would think.

What concerns me is the fact that they're going offence first, and that leaves many questions if they're going to get that much desired top D. Via trade, it's all about luck to have right D available and match every other teams offers. With top pick, it's a long wait. And besides drafting offence recently, we still lack that elite C too.

When you evaluate well and find elite talent to key positions, you have best chances to end up having those much needed core pieces for next 15+years. I'm not sure if they have any specific plan at the moment, last two drafts and they've ended up pretty much everything else but elite D/C prospect in the system.

Or maybe they decided that while Bouchard and Dobson have good potential, they don't view them at first-pairing players. If you view Zadina as an elite first line winger, you take that every time.

I love how no one brings up the fact this team will have a pretty large whole in net pretty soon. Don't know why people assume this won't be a bigger problem than the defense long term.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Or maybe they decided that while Bouchard and Dobson have good potential, they don't view them at first-pairing players. If you view Zadina as an elite first line winger, you take that every time.

I love how no one brings up the fact this team will have a pretty large whole in net pretty soon. Don't know why people assume this won't be a bigger problem than the defense long term.

it's much easier to solve a problem in goal via trades if need be

Bobrovsky,Bishop,Luongo,Schneider etc you only need one starting Goalie and there's usually someone on the market to be had if your plans to develop one don't work out

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we should reach out to Jim Nill and try to pick up Julius Honka on the low. I think he has the talent to turn things around, but he has struggled to carve out a role on that team for whatever reason. He could be a guy who benefits from a change of scenery, and may not cost that much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think we should reach out to Jim Nill and try to pick up Julius Honka on the low. I think he has the talent to turn things around, but he has struggled to carve out a role on that team for whatever reason. He could be a guy who benefits from a change of scenery, and may not cost that much.

That is the exact type of strategic move we need to be making, but cannot seem to pull off for whatever reason (lack of assets, poor player evaluation, lack of stones, etc.). I would add Myers to your list of targets as well. It is not without risk, but if you are afraid of making a mistake you aren't going to get anywhere in this game. While I do think we need to be willing to take defensemen high in the first round, drafting alone isn't going to get us out of this mess.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Also, I just want to see two women at a Wings game both wearing a Honka sweater sitting next to one another. "Honka Honka"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad