Draftees Flights and Accomidations

KINgGh0sT

Jun 23, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
I am just wondering, who pays for the flights and accommodation of Draftees? I understand some will have families with big money, but there has to be some with parents that just don't have that income. If you pay CHL you don't really get much money, so I am wondering if the NHL pays their ways or not? I mean some of these kids come from Europe.

s04

Oct 24, 2009
For most the kids pay it themselves or it's up their agent.

I know a kid who should get drafted in the top three rounds who's not gonna be there, no money and his agent is not paying.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Just gonna throw it out there that a season of rep hockey in Bantam AAA or Midget AAA can easily escalate north of $5000/year not even including equipment costs. Chances are that most families can pony up a few grand to fly out and soak in the biggest moment of their kid's life so far. There's obviously a few exceptions.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
it has been expressed many times by many people that if you are a borderline 1st rounder or later you are better off to stay at home.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Just gonna throw it out there that a season of rep hockey in Bantam AAA or Midget AAA can easily escalate north of $5000/year not even including equipment costs. Chances are that most families can pony up a few grand to fly out and soak in the biggest moment of their kid's life so far. There's obviously a few exceptions.

I many parts of the US, you're looking at $10,000 and up per season. Some of these guys have been in Minnesota for more than 5 days. I wondered the same thing about money.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
it has been expressed many times by many people that if you are a borderline 1st rounder or later you are better off to stay at home.

Yep. That's Don's long held opinion. If you're not a consensus 1st round pick, stay home. Too many boys crying in the stands...

hdtrax

Happen to know Dave Broll's family - they're flying in to Minnesota and staying the weekend. A lot of it is out of their pocket, but he's also not slated to go higher than the 3rd-4th round. Maybe there's a system where the top 100 rated are compensated or something? I know the top guys must have sponsors clamoring to get them to sign, so there might be some perks coming their way, but I don't know about lower-end guys unfortunately.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Mostly the families themselves, I would imagine.

But hey, if you are flying to the draft and taking it in, theres a good chance there is a solid pay day for you somewhere down the line.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

I agree 100%.
I was fortunate to be a guest of Erik Johnson & Jonathan Toews and their families at their draft.
They went as predicted but the "family section" was dotted with many kids and their families that likely lived through one of their most disapointing days of their lives.
Alot of tears.......not pleasant to see.

bam09

Jan 19, 2008
I agree 100%.
I was fortunate to be a guest of Erik Johnson & Jonathan Toews and their families at their draft.
They went as predicted but the "family section" was dotted with many kids and their families that likely lived through one of their most disapointing days of their lives.
Alot of tears.......not pleasant to see.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know both of them? I mean they grew up in different places ,and attended different schools, so I'm curious.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I would still go if I was a borderline 1st round guy. It would still be fun to take in, even if I slid to the 3rd.

I guess it's easy to say that, but it's probably a lot tougher to sit there with your future out of your hands as you slide down the draft board.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know both of them? I mean they grew up in different places ,and attended different schools, so I'm curious.

Friends with Erik's family for years.
My Sister taught JT in school and my 2 nephews are buddies of his.

In addition to the draft I also was proud to host Erik, Jon, Phil Kessel, Derek Brassard (plus Erik + JT's Fathers) in our corporate suite for the Stanley Cup Finals -Edm vs Canes....prior to their draft.

292wny8.jpg

2mris88.jpg

kidkenny

Oct 4, 2007
I know the Strome's well. (sounds like a team is going to move way up to get him)
Ryan's trip is all paid for, the rest of the family is self-funded.

Rshields

Oct 23, 2009
Not sure if there is an answer to this question, but it appears to me that some relatively unknown or up and coming agents pay a lot of development costs for their players but agencies like Newport pay very little and are very selective with who they list.
The theory is any GM will answer calls from Don but most of the less well known agents wont get the time of day.
Appreciate any comments. leoleo3535?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Not sure if there is an answer to this question, but it appears to me that some relatively unknown or up and coming agents pay a lot of development costs for their players but agencies like Newport pay very little and are very selective with who they list.
The theory is any GM will answer calls from Don but most of the less well known agents wont get the time of day.
Appreciate any comments. leoleo3535?

There are excellent agents/agencies out there big and small.

Many agents are not selective...........in fact they take on too many clients (in my mind).....they play the numbers game. ie sign 200 kids and maybe a couple make it.

For the most part NHL GM's will talk to all agents large and small.
They would be shooting themselves in the foot by not doing so.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

I would have to disagree, even if a player is pegged to be a 2nd or 3rd round player most do/should go.

It's an individuals biggest moment in their young lives and they should soak it in and attend the draft. Its a one time thing.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
I would have to disagree, even if a player is pegged to be a 2nd or 3rd round player most do/should go.

It's an individuals biggest moment in their young lives and they should soak it in and attend the draft. Its a one time thing.

I disagree. If you're "projected" to be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, you'll be in tears if the 6th or 7th round comes and you still haven't been drafted. A lot of players who are possible first round picks are the same way when they have to come back for the 2nd day.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Dale Hawerchuck was going to fly Mark Scheifele and his family to the draft on a private jet. But they turned it down because they bought their tickets already!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->