DraftBuzz' Final Top 30 Ranking and Mock Draft

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
DraftBuzz has an interesting top 30 with fun commentary to read. It's nice to compare all the lists out there:

1. Patrick Kane F (USA)
~An electrifying winger with dance, dazzle, and deadly offensive instincts. He will find every way possible to put the puck in the net and sets his teammates up equally as well. His slight frame and light defense are minor concerns. The winger from Buffalo, NY is a gamebreaker, and is ranked at the top as a result of routinely standing out and exerting offensive dominance in the OHL and WJC stage. There is nothing left for Kane to prove in the OHL, so we may be seeing him at NHL arenas next year ala Phil Kessel.
2. Jakub Voracek F (CZE)
~If Kane were not as much of a consistent force as he was, Voracek would be first on our list. Voracek is a strapping winger with sweet hands, vision, and playmaking ability. He is a beautiful sight to see rush the puck up ice and can finesse or power his way to the net. His skating is still a bit rough, and he was somewhat inconsistent during the season. He offers a tremendous package of size and skill, but still needs to iron out some jagged edges and as a result could use one more season in the Q. Realistically, he could be ready as early as the 2008 season.
3. Sam Gagner F (CAN)
~Our favorite player of the draft who just needs time to pass to show how good he really is. The most talented, complete player of the draft went about his business in the shadow of his flashy linemate, Kane. Gagner is captain material and is above average in all facets of the game. There is no better combination of shooting, passing, defensive awareness, hockey sense, and skating in the draft. He is not tall, and consequently may be ranked lower by the scouting community who desire size. It is possible that Gagner slips on draft day leaving one GM and team overjoyed with the selection of this Knight.

In general, they've got some weird risers and fallers. Pacioretty, Legein, and Marshall unusually ranked high with Ellerby and Perron really low.

I don't like Esposito and even I'd say outside of the top 30 is a bit much, I'd like to see where he is rated in the rest of the list.

For the mock, they just finished the first round and have Kane going first overall:

1. Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane - RW -London Knights
Top Forward Prospects: Jonathan Toews, Jack Skille, David Bolland, Troy Brouwer, Nathan Davis, Dan Bertram, Jakub Sindel, Bryan Bickell, Jake Dowell, and Michael Blunden.
Top Defense Prospects: Cam Barker, Danny Richmond, Dustin Byfuglien, Simon Danis-Pepin, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Ben Shutron.
Top Goalie Prospects: Cory Crawford, Joe Palmer, and Joe Fallon.
Young NHL Bright Spots (U25): Brent Seabrook, Tuomo Ruutu, Duncan Keith, and James Wisniewksi.
Commentary: With the 1st overall selection of Patrick Kane in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Chicago provides Toews with a RW thriller to set up for many years. With this pick, the Blackhawks focus intently on getting a legitimate scoring winger in their system to supplement their more rounded, lower ceiling prospects such as Bolland, Brouwer, Davis, and Bertram. Chicago looks to be on the right track with a forward roster that could feature Ruutu, Toews, Kane, and Skille in the near future.
Option # 2 - Kyle Turris – Double T’s down the middle would be a scary sight for those in the Central Division. Chicago may be best off getting themselves a dynamite winger for Toews, but Turris’ all around skillset and smarts make him a contender for the top choice regardless.
Option # 3 - Alexei Cherepanov - Despite what Chicago has said in the press, (Kane, Turris, JVR as top three), we think Alexei has a chance to challenge for the first overall as he offers a similar goal scoring prowess as Kane does. DraftBuzz sees him as a quality alternative option for the top choice, as he is bigger than Kane and a little more instinctive in his efforts to light the lamp. The impending journey to get Cherepanov across the pond, along with the everpresent cliche that Russian's are not coachable (see Zherdev), and Chicago's terrible past experiences with Russian forwards (Vorobiev & Yakubov), will be enough to sway CHI to choose the American dynamo from the OHL instead.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Esposito's not even ranked in their top 30? That's a surprise.

Hope the Pens would pick him at #20 if that's the case.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Who the heck is the Ryan McDonagh guy? I severely doubt Columbus would take this guy at 7. Not with Gagner on the board.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
How is it a bad pick if you have no clue who he is?
Think the person feels its such an off the board pick for 7th overall that they haven't even looked at this guy. Simply stating that they wouldn't like the team to go out there instead of getting a guy that is more of the consensus pick for that spot.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
McDonagh at seven is a reach, IMO, but he wouldn't be out of place around 10-11, although I'd still take Ellerby over him.

The absolute last thing the Canucks need is another third line grinder type. They have more than enough in the system already. I will be physically ill if they choose MacMillan with their first rounder, especially if Moller is still on the board.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lars Eller and Angelo Esposito? That would be SICK.

I'd get the player I wanted most -- Lars Eller.
And then the French Media can't whine about not picking Esposito.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Mark my words - there is no way in this universe that :

A) Esposito slips to 23rd overall - teams would rather take a high risk gamble than draft a potential third liner.

B) The Leafs will draft another blueliner if there is a decent forward available (which there will be)

C) The Leafs will pass on Esposito at 13th, or Hamill.

OilerOlli*

I am still waiting of McKenzie mock. Only 5 days to go and nothing to see on tsn.ca
They wanted to bring it 1 week before the draft...

Last edited by a moderator:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well on the TSN draft page it says we won't get the mock until Tuesday. Keeping it close to the vest I guess until not long before the draft. We should get their top 30 prospects though pretty soon.

OilerOlli*

Therefore the hf staff mock draft is out...and the Oilers again draft Voracek. :)

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Think the person feels its such an off the board pick for 7th overall that they haven't even looked at this guy. Simply stating that they wouldn't like the team to go out there instead of getting a guy that is more of the consensus pick for that spot.

Yes, because we know actual NHL teams go into the draft without even looking at a top 30 ranked player.

I liked the views they presented, regardless if you're gonna say it's bad because they didn't pick a player you liked.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yes, because we know actual NHL teams go into the draft without even looking at a top 30 ranked player.

I liked the views they presented, regardless if you're gonna say it's bad because they didn't pick a player you liked.
Where in that quote did I say that was a player I didn't like? I wasn't even talking about the scouts but the reason why the person who didn't like the pick (which wasn't me if you actually read what I said).

Congrats if you liked the reasoning for the pick. Obviously scouts are going to look at all players available and make their picks based on that. Though the fans are probably just going to focus on guys that are fairly expected for that position. That wasn't a guy that usually went 7th overall in that person's mind so that is probably why they didn't really like the pick.

Besides why am I getting dragged into this? I don't really care who gets taken with the 7th pick. Guess this is what you get for trying to help by explaining why a person didn't like a particular selection.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
DraftBuzz has an interesting top 30 with fun commentary to read. It's nice to compare all the lists out there:

In general, they've got some weird risers and fallers. Pacioretty, Legein, and Marshall unusually ranked high with Ellerby and Perron really low.

I don't like Esposito and even I'd say outside of the top 30 is a bit much, I'd like to see where he is rated in the rest of the list.

For the mock, they just finished the first round and have Kane going first overall:

If Angelo Esposito is still available by the time the Flames pick....I think they will take him without even have to think about it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->