Prospect Info: Draft Summary

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I like the Mantha pick(although i'd have preferred Shinkaruk,still happy with Mantha though) and don't dislike the Nastasiuk/Janmark-Nylén/Pope/Melén picks

I hate the Bertuzzi pick and don't like the Wheaton/McNulty ones

I also feel an urge to go watch The Wire :laugh:

all in all a pretty disappointing draft i'd say,one guy i'm excited about and a few more that I range from okay with to cautiously optimistic

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
They really covered the areas of the system where we aren't deep anyway.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Love the Mantha pick if not only for his size and goal scoring ability, but for the fact that that was the player they really wanted. They could have took Shinkaruk if they wanted and they still took Mantha which tells you how high the were on the kid.

I also liked both the Nastasiuk and the Janmark-Nylén picks

Don't know anything really about Pope yet so I'm undecided

The Bertuzzi pick upset me only because of where he was taken I would have preferred to have taken him in the 4th or later.

The Wheaton and Mcnulty annoy me but I get them. instead of doing 1 half goon pick every other year for the rest of eternity we have to stock up on them now wait 4 years then make an ice boxing rink and say the last one standing gets the roster spot. (also kind of think that would be an awesome way to pick out your goon, also invite some upcoming free agents and make an event out of it at the Joe)

Finally my 2nd favorite pick of every draft. the 7th round Hakan special. Melén is someone I have never heard of so thats a plus, then you add on that he was skipped over in the draft a few times. sounds like a good sign for things to come if you ask me.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
#20 Anthony Mantha: A+ - I love this pick. He was 10th on my list so I'm very glad we picked him at 20. I think this kid will turn out to be a pure goal scorer. You won't ever see him out there on the PK, but he has 40+ goal potential and I think he reaches it.

#48 Zach Nastasiuk: A - I can't hate it as I think he's going to be a 2nd line center that is sort of like a Dan Cleary in his prime. He's the type of guys that don't get talked about much, but are key to winning championships.

#58 Tyler Bertuzzi: A+ - Obviously a little earlier than most thought, but he's another player you win championships with. Also he'll probably make the NHL a lot sooner than most our other prospects, think 2014/2015 or the year after. He's going to be a career 3rd liner more than likely, but a great one also, and a fan favorite.

#79 Mattias Janmark-Nylén: B - I don't mind this pick, I think he's got potential to be a 2nd line center and is probably only 3 years away from the NHL. If he was only 18, this would be a A+ pick.

#109 David Pope: B- - I never get too excited over guys drafted out of the junior leagues (BC, US, EJ, etc.), but he has size and did do well there. Since he is going to college, I like Nebraska-Omaha as his choice, they seem to do pretty good producing offensive guys.

#139 Mitchell Wheaton: C - Adding another guy with huge size for a defensive defensemen is never a bad thing. We are lacking a mean defensemen so hopefully he turns out to be the one. Ericsson won't be around forever.

#169 Marc McNulty: C - Same as above, but taking two in the same draft is fine with me since we are loaded with talent with prospects anyways.

#199 Hampus Melén: C - I know nothing about this kid. I hope he has some unreal skill in either skating, hands, smarts, or shot. He needs to be amazing at one of them to have any chance.

Overall I'd rate this draft a A-. We got a goalscorer and agitator which I we needed to draft this year badly. I would of made it an A if we got one of McCarron, Hartman, or Bailey, but they didn't drop enough.

Also for those who say this draft sucked or whatever, compare it to other teams, you don't get well known talent in rounds 3-7 very often, we just got lucky the past couple years that they didn't bust because of their question marks.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Love the Mantha pick if not only for his size and goal scoring ability, but for the fact that that was the player they really wanted. They could have took Shinkaruk if they wanted and they still took Mantha which tells you how high the were on the kid.

I also liked both the Nastasiuk and the Janmark-Nylén picks

Don't know anything really about Pope yet so I'm undecided

The Bertuzzi pick upset me only because of where he was taken I would have preferred to have taken him in the 4th or later.

The Wheaton and Mcnulty annoy me but I get them. instead of doing 1 half goon pick every other year for the rest of eternity we have to stock up on them now wait 4 years then make an ice boxing rink and say the last one standing gets the roster spot. (also kind of think that would be an awesome way to pick out your goon, also invite some upcoming free agents and make an event out of it at the Joe)

Finally my 2nd favorite pick of every draft. the 7th round Hakan special. Melén is someone I have never heard of so thats a plus, then you add on that he was skipped over in the draft a few times. sounds like a good sign for things to come if you ask me.

Everything I've read/heard about Wheaton so far is that a goon is likely the furthest applicable description possible. If anything they probably need to instill a bit more aggressiveness into him. He sounds almost like a Hal Gill, which probably doesn't do him any favors, but honestly... drafting a Hal Gill in the 5th round wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Everything I've read/heard about Wheaton so far is that a goon is likely the furthest applicable description possible. If anything they probably need to instill a bit more aggressiveness into him. He sounds almost like a Hal Gill, which probably doesn't do him any favors, but honestly... drafting a Hal Gill in the 5th round wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

yeah the only real video I have seen of him was him fighting but thanks for the info I look more into him tomorrow

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I like the Mantha pick(although i'd have preferred Shinkaruk,still happy with Mantha though) and don't dislike the Nastasiuk/Janmark-Nylén/Pope/Melén picks

I hate the Bertuzzi pick and don't like the Wheaton/McNulty ones

I also feel an urge to go watch The Wire :laugh:

all in all a pretty disappointing draft i'd say,one guy i'm excited about and a few more that I range from okay with to cautiously optimistic

Yeah same feelings here. I think Nastasiuk could have some potential but right now he's likely to end up a 3rd liner & not a top 6 forward, we'll have a better idea in 1-2 years.

I wouldn't hate the Bertuzzi pick if it was 20-30 picks later so after some consideration I'm over my hate of it & I'm willing to give it some time. If the guys felt that he would be gone by then then I understand why they took him where they did. I think he'll have around 0.75 P/G in the OHL next year, I've actually warmed up to it in the past 2 hours. :laugh: If he can develop to the point that he may have 10-20 goal potential, while being able to provide some energy I think it wouldn't be looked at as a total bust.

I think both the Swedes have potential, at least looking at their stats it would appear that way. We have 4 years with them, though I think we'll see Janmark-Nylen cross the pond in 2-3 years if he progresses, Melan is likely 6 years away.

The Dmen I think were just shots in the dark to try and find a big shutdown defender.

Pope I think is a long term project & we have 4 years to sign him. Overall I think this draft was about guys that are 4-7 years away so we can reduce some of the bottle neck we have right now while still potential getting some guys that can help us down the line. I'd give us a score of B-/C+ on the day.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Neither of them I would consider a goon, between them they have 5 fights total in junior hockey, with Wheaton's only fight being against McNulty.

Wheaton was ranked 69th and McNulty 105th among NA skaters by central scouting so its not like they have no upside, hopefully one of them develops into a good shutdown D who can compliment a defenceman like Sproul

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
My thoughts: there were 3 goals in this draft that I can identify.

Goal #1 was to add potential boom or bust high value NHL players. I think this goal largely accounts for Mantha, Bertuzzi, and probably the huge defensemen. Maybe David Pope; I don't know.

Goal #2 was to rebuild the bottom 6/bottom pairing (primarily at wing) and add some sandpaper. This accounts for Nastasiuk, Bertuzzi, and also the huge defensemen.

Goal #3 was to add size. They did it everywhere (other than Bertuzzi and Melen).

They obviously sprinkled in some European guys to keep Hakan from quitting, but I don't think that's much of a theme here.

I think this draft taken in a vacuum is probably very disappointing. However, I think the best way to think of it is as a compliment to the other drafts that they've had. Because the talent pool is so rich right now, the Wings can afford to try for these rarer types of players.

Despite that, I didn't like the Bertuzzi pick. I think they could have gone another direction there than undersized pest.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
- Anthony Mantha: I like the pick, he's projected to be a Franzen type of player, if that's the case, great.

- Zach Nastasiuk: I was not a fan of this pick when it happened. But after looking into it I think he may turn out to be a good one. Sure he does not have that top line talent, but with the depth we have in our system, we could use players like him.

- Tyler Bertuzzi: This one I don't get one bit. So he's being compared to Shaw, that's fine, but I honestly feel like they could have drafted him later in the draft. Would have been better to take a risk on Buchnevich here.

- Mattias Janmark-Nylén: He's an overager but I like what I see, and this one obviously seems like a Hakan pick so I'm more in favor of that.

- David Pope: This one seems like a long term project which is fine at this spot.

- Mitchell Wheaton: A stay-at-home d-man. Considering where he was drafted, I think it's a good pick.

- Marc McNulty: I'm not sure what kind of d-man he is but once again, another kid with size which I'm ok with.

- Hampus Melén A Hakan pick obviously so we'll see.

Of all those picks, only the Bertuzzi one really annoys me. So overall not a bad draft, certainly not a typical Red Wings draft but we'll see in a few years I guess.

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012

You're getting Melen and Janmark-Nylen mixed up.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
#20 Anthony Mantha; I like the pick. Would have prefered trading up for Nichuskin, but Mantha brings even more goal scoring. He reminds of Jeff Carter or a softer James Neal. Elite wrist shot. Good skater. Should fit nicely with Jarnkrok if things work out right.

#48 Zach Nastasiuk; Lukewarm at first on this pick, but after seriously looking at him, I like the pick. Tough two-way player who works hard. Not the best skater, but has some scoring upside. He is the perfect situation with Detroit, he is someone who needs as much time as possible to develop. Could be a second-liner, but projects very certainly to a third liner.

#58 Tyler Bertuzzi; Do not understand picking Ty Bert this early. Haven't heard much good about him, but the Wings must have seen something. Still kinda excited about this pick though, an even meaner Andrew Shaw would be a great wrinkle to add to the Wings. The downside is that he could also never play professionally due to a lack of skill. Time will tell.

#79 Mattias Janmark-Nylén; From what I've heard he sounds interesting. An overager, but also has very good vision and play making ability. Low percentage from the faceoff circle, but at least the ability to play center is there. He has to work on his skating but it won't be too long before we know what the Wings have in him.

#109 David Pope; He has nice size and a plus shot. Is going to a good college and in four years time he may become something. I'm also a huge fan of players who come up through college, like Jensen or Sheahan.

#139 Mitchell Wheaton; Big dude with room to add even more to his frame. Coach said his strength was his hockey sense, great to here. Any mobility and meanness added are welcome. Not-a-goon. Another player taking the college route.

#169 Marc McNulty; Another big bloke. More similar to McKee because he goons it out. Not much to say.

#199 Hampus Melén; Pure Hakan pick. Rail thin at 165 lbs, but is 6'2'' so he does have a solid frame. For whatever reason, he is less known that Rasmus Bodin from last year and yet that is even more reassuring. Likely posses some elite offensive ability that Hakan noticed. Time will tell.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Anthony Mantha will turn out to be a top sixer. He seems very confident by setting the bar high for himself and he's purely offense. Maybe he'll even be that sniper who develops into that 40+ goal scorer this team needs. I love this pick and I'm surprised he slipped to 20th. If he learns to focus and stay cool the Wings may have someone very special. Can't wait to see him progress. A+

Zach Nastasiuk is a player that helps with depth. You can't win championships without balance. He'll be a solid 3rd liner if things pan out right. He's tough and a hard worker like many have said. I like this pick. A

The other picks I honestly don't know what will happen with. The Swedes may surprise and most likely out of the giants one will make it, possibly Wheaton because of his hockey sense. Tyler Burtuzzi? If he actually turns into Andrew Shaw then wonderful. I'm not good with distinguishing the other picks from each other so I really won't go into huge detail of them. The Swedes are Hakan picks, so I'm hoping they're diamonds! C+ - B

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
#139 Mitchell Wheaton; Big dude with room to add even more to his frame. Coach said his strength was his hockey sense, great to here. Any mobility and meanness added are welcome. Not-a-goon. Another player taking the college route.

#169 Marc McNulty; Another big bloke. More similar to McKee because he goons it out. Not much to say.

I don't think Wheaton is eligible for college hockey since he's been playing in the CHL with Kelowna.

Also I wouldn't really say McNulty is a goon, he's only had 4 fights in his CHL career

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I like the Mantha pick. We're addressing the pure goal scorer issue with guys like Frk, etc. Time will tell if he really does have compete level issues.

Nastasiuk seems to be a Ferraro type player.

Not a fan of the Bertuzzi pick. We'll see how that pans out. Another Callahan type player maybe.

Intrigued with Hakan's first pick: Janmark-Nylén. He's a project who could prove to be a steal.

David Pope. Has size, don't know what else really...

They definitely went for some grit and the later picks like Wheaton, McNulty and McKee last year tell me they are trying to find that big body defensive defenseman they've lacked in quite some time. Maybe 1 of them will pan out. Can't win 'em all.

Overall, not thrilled with this draft like the past two years. Still haven't addressed our center depth issue (unless Janmark-Nylén pans out). To be fair only Gauthier was available at our pick and I don't think he'll be a 1C.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...ds.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“You like skill, but it (size) is sort of the way the league is going right now, you want to take some cracks at some bigger guys, too,'' Red Wings Western Canada scout Jeff Finley said. “If they have a dimension to their game, you hope you have something.''

Mantha

“He's the guy we had pegged right from the get-go,'' Red Wings director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell said. “We had him going high on our list, but you hear things that made us think he's going to slide down. It all worked out and we couldn't be more happy with him.''

Nastasiuk

“He’s got real good hands,'' McDonnell said. “If he has one thing that he has to work on it’s his skating. Once he gets going he’s good, but the first two strides are something that needs some work. The nice thing about him is he’s a kid that is willing to put the work in to get better. We think in the end he’s going to be a real good third-line kind of guy who can kill penalties.''

Bert

“I think he's a bit of a rat,'' McDonnell said. “He’s an Andrew Shaw kind of guy, and he’s real hard to play against. He had some injuries early and mid-season and I don’t know if a lot of teams really paid attention to him later in the year, when he really took over. He’s just a real hard guy to play against and we really wanted him in the organization.'

Janmark-Nylen

I think he was their second-best scorer (for AIK), so he played really well,'' Andersson said. “He was rewarded by playing a couple of exhibition games on the Swedish national team, which is pretty good as a 20-year-old.

“Good skater, works hard, has ability with the puck, has some hands and hockey sense. Needs to beef up. He's a bit of a kid still. He doesn't have a detailed plan yet that he's going to be a pro. He just plays because he loves it. There's potential for sure.''

Pope

“He's a big, tall, lanky winger; he's got an NHL shot and release,'' Finley said. “That's the strength of his game, sort of an up and down type of player. Can play center and both wings. He needs a lot of strength. See him as a third-line type of guy that can move up. He's got some good skill.''

Wheaton
“Mobility is a big issue right now,'' Finley said. “Coaches in Kelowna rave about him. Great work ethic. He's found the gym, he's lost some weight. He moves the puck well, has got great hockey sense, defensive instincts. Smart player.''

McNulty
“Long stick, big reach, he's got real good feet and good hands for a guy that size,'' Finley said. “Real weak right now at this stage. He needs a lot of strength and consistency. Probably the reason he fell to where he did, there were a lot of nights he needed to be better than he was. He's a bit of a project right now, but I think he has huge upside because of his size and mobility.''

Melen
“Works hard and has very good hands and hockey sense, but needs to beef up a lot,'' Andersson said. “Good thing about that is I met him a couple of times in February and we talked about nutrition. He hired a personal trainer and the last two months he's gone from 147 to 160. The parents told his agent, 'Something has happened to Hampus.' It looks like he's on a mission. He's so much determined.''

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
These will always go with 'fwiw'-tag but reading through some draft GDT's there have been posters who mentioned that they wanted Wheaton and McNulty on later rounds, eg. 'the beautiful goons' and so forth.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great comments from our masterminds. Like those swedish kids, just kids who love to play. Add professionalism, and you could see huge results when they get stronger. The skill is there with a long frame. Muscles can be build.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad