Draft Record vs. NYI, NJD & PHI

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With Pasta making Carolina and Kreider making the Rangers, our draft record is really getting better and better. I'm not looking at the last 3 years because those kids are 20 or younger, way too young to judge. But let's look from 2004 to 2009:

2004:

1. Montoya
2. Korpikoski
3. Dubinsky
4. Callahan

2005:

1. Staal
2. Sauer
3. Tom Pyatt

2006:

1. Pasta
2. Anisimov

2007:

1. Hagelin
(Cherry would've probably made it but for his death)

2008:

1. MDZ
2. Stepan
3. Weise
(Grachev and Kundratek still have a chance)

2009:

1. Kreider
2. Horak
(Werek and Bourque are still prospects.)

That's 15 NHL players drafted in 6 years, and maybe another 1-2 will make it. Every draft except when Cherry died had multiple NHLers.

By comparison, the Islanders had much, much better draft positions and many more draft picks than us and yet they chose only 10 NHLers (Tavares, Bail, Ham, Martin, Spurgeon, Okposo, MacDonald, Nokelainen, Comeau and Campoli).

The Devils were comparable, and they drafted only 8 NHLers (Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique, Palmieri, Halischuk, Bergfors, Fayne and Zajac).

And the last of our main rivals, Philly drafted only 7 NHLers (Wellwood, Sbisa, Bourdon, Rinaldo, JVR, Giroux and Downie).

===============================================

So yeah, the next time you decide to whine that we didn't draft someone who turned out to be better than our draftee, just remember that are so much better on average than anyone else. We are drafting at double the rate of NJD and PHI.

Kershaw

Right, but looking at the past decade, we haven't drafted a superstar player like the others. Philly drafted Giroux and Richards, the Devils drafted Parise and the Pens drafted Letang. The best pick for the Rangers during that time span is probably Staal or Callahan and neither rank on par with the players mentioned from the other teams.

I'm certainly not complaining, the ability to draft and develop NHL talent has been remarkable for the Rangers post lockout.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Right, but looking at the past decade, we haven't drafted a superstar player like the others. Philly drafted Giroux and Richards, the Devils drafted Parise and the Pens drafted Letang. The best pick for the Rangers during that time span is probably Staal or Callahan and neither rank on par with the players mentioned from the other teams.

I'm certainly not complaining, the ability to draft and develop NHL talent has been remarkable for the Rangers post lockout.

A decade is quite far to look back. Teams like the Devils have clearly lost their scouting touch while the Rangers went from not knowing out to scout to scouting fantastically.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As with every draft thread ever you can't go back to the early 2000s and compare it to now, different scouts were drafting back then.

Maloney and Renney were making those calls before Gordie and Gordon took over in 2006.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As with every draft thread ever you can't go back to the early 2000s and compare it to now, different scouts were drafting back then.

Maloney and Renney were making those calls before Gordie and Gordon took over in 2006.

Actually, with a good success rate over that span, I'd say it reflects well on Sathers personnel decisions, as far as that goes.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Cherepanov might have been that superstar for us had he not sadly passed away.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
While the Rangers drafts cited were good, they are not scintillating. Quantity is nice but it is players like Giroux, Staal, and Parise that equal good drafts.

While Edmonton has enjoyed great drafting position, they made the most of it. The Rangers might b the best on paper now and they probably have a three year window to win. Within two years, assuming they can add to Schultz, they might be unbelievable.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Isles and Philly are lucky with Giroux and Tavares, but the defensive combo we got, plus Cally, plus what ended up becoming the core for the Nash package really would be too good to give up for them.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
While the Rangers drafts cited were good, they are not scintillating. Quantity is nice but it is players like Giroux, Staal, and Parise that equal good drafts.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
For ***** and giggles, I looked at the 2003 draft recap on wikipedia. The Rangers brass could have spend the day picking up poop at the local dog park instead of attending that draft and it would have been more productive. Did we even have scouts?

Last edited:

Leetch2McDonagh27

Jan 21, 2013
For ***** and giggles, I looked at the 2003 draft recap on wikipedia. The Rangers brass could have spend the day picking up poop at the local dog park instead of attending that draft and it would have been more productive. Did we even have scouts?

yes.....every single team got either a Superstar, Star, or very serviceable NHL player at the very least except us. We got the curse of Hugh Jessiman:shakehead

Leetch2McDonagh27

Jan 21, 2013
I can see this putting me in an institution as it has apparently become the number one discussion point around here.

he is definitely lighting it up already with his display of skill. Him or Cam Fowler should have been the picks......all in hindsight of course

*Bob Richards*

he is definitely lighting it up already with his display of skill. Him or Cam Fowler should have been the picks......all in hindsight of course

I don't even think you can go this far yet. We haven't even gotten a chance to see what Dylan can do at the NHL level. He can bring an element that we truly need too, especially with Sauer's absence: The big, mean, crease-clearing D man.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
yes.....every single team got either a Superstar, Star, or very serviceable NHL player at the very least except us. We got the curse of Hugh Jessiman:shakehead

It's only been a decade, so we should definitely continue to discuss the 2003 draft.

Also, let's talk about the 1980 draft. It was a great year and all the first rounders that year played at least one season in the NHL, except our guy Jim Malone, who never wore an NHL jersey. We could've drafted Brent Sutter, Steve Larmer, Bernie Nicholls or even Hall of Famer Jari Kurri.

I say we sit here and harp on it. Why should we only cry about things from a decade ago, let's go back to 1980!

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
It's only been a decade, so we should definitely continue to discuss the 2003 draft.

Also, let's talk about the 1980 draft. It was a great year and all the first rounders that year played at least one season in the NHL, except our guy Jim Malone, who never wore an NHL jersey. We could've drafted Brent Sutter, Steve Larmer, Bernie Nicholls or even Hall of Famer Jari Kurri.

I say we sit here and harp on it. Why should we only cry about things from a decade ago, let's go back to 1980!

I'm still mad we didn't bring Gordie Howe to camp when we could... ;)

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

God forbid we talk about our putrid performance in a draft where the guy who was picked immediately after us just captained his team to a stanley cup last year. Not to mention the numerous other players from that draft who are still some of the best players in the league. It couldn't possibly be relevant to our present situation. :sarcasm:

Leetch2McDonagh27

Jan 21, 2013

like LeetchisGod said, the 2003 Draft is still relevant, simply because the players selected are all still in their prime, right here, right now. Any other pick other than the stiff we drafted would of changed the Dynamics and Talent level of this team. Simply put, we would of done better by throwing darts at a board and picking out names that way.

Oh......and the 2003 draft is clearly better than the 80' draft, no comparison there:sarcasm:

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I don't even think you can go this far yet. We haven't even gotten a chance to see what Dylan can do at the NHL level. He can bring an element that we truly need too, especially with Sauer's absence: The big, mean, crease-clearing D man.

I don't have a problem with fact that we picked another defenseman over a scorer so much as the projected development of a player like Mcilrath. When can he realistically be ready to help us?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's really easy to say that Jessiman was a terrible pick now, but had it not been some for a string of unfortunate injuries during his development, he could have been one hell of a player. Guy had incredible hands for someone that big and his skating was above average. That being said, he was a bit of a reach at #12, especially when Getzlaf was sliding and Parise was still on the board.

I like how our scouting and drafting has evolved over the last several years. Hopefully we can win a cup here soon and Slats will finally retire. Then we can get Jeff Gorton behind the wheel and let him run the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad