Draft Rank's Top 10 NHL Draft Prospects - [15/03/11]

Cudo

Apr 30, 2010
Saskatchewan
Poor man's Bobby Orr for a comparison to Murphy? 8.5D is too high of a rating too. Yes his numbers in junior are spectacular, but I can't see that guy being anywhere near the great Bobby Orr, poor or not.

Other than that, great list, nice comparisons.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Poor man's Bobby Orr for a comparison to Murphy? 8.5D is too high of a rating too. Yes his numbers in junior are spectacular, but I can't see that guy being anywhere near the great Bobby Orr, poor or not.

Other than that, great list, nice comparisons.

Thanks for the feedback!

I know Murphy is no Bobby Orr, hence the "poor man's" part. I think 8.5 D is a fair rating, at least the "D" part is. But now that I look at it, Ryan Ellis is very comparable to Murphy and has a 7.5 C so I'll think about changing that for the next release.

Thanks again!

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
Well, I think 8.5D is fair grade. Ellis has similar skillset to Murphy but is and projects to be way smaller than Murphy (who is two years younger and bigger now not even mentioning that he can still grow a little bit).

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Well, I think 8.5D is fair grade. Ellis has similar skillset to Murphy but is and projects to be way smaller than Murphy (who is two years younger and bigger now not even mentioning that he can still grow a little bit).

Valid points. Ellis has more upside and the ability to add size.

If anything, the D is staying though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Thanks for the feedback!

I know Murphy is no Bobby Orr, hence the "poor man's" part. I think 8.5 D is a fair rating, at least the "D" part is. But now that I look at it, Ryan Ellis is very comparable to Murphy and has a 7.5 C so I'll think about changing that for the next release.

Thanks again!

Contrary to popular belief, Ellis and Murphy aren't comparable at all.

Completely differnt offensive defensmen and Ellis's weakest area (Skating) is Murphys biggest boon. A comparison that gets thrown around a lot but is one of the weakest. Not sayig Murphy is as good but really the closest comparison is Coffey or Green.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010

Completely differnt offensive defensmen and Ellis's weakest area (Skating) is Murphys biggest boon. A comparison that gets thrown around a lot but is one of the weakest. Not sayig Murphy is as good but really the closest comparison is Coffey or Green.

I can see what you mean and I guess you're right there but I would not compare Murphy to (Mike?) Green at all. Green is big and physical. I would agree with a Coffey comparison though.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
A 7.5 B isn't that bad. It's basically a guaranteed NHL fringe 2nd liner with the potential to become a first liner.

I could change to a 8.0 C but I feel that he's more of a safe/"guaranteed" pick than a risk/reward pick.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

I have never seen Murphy play, he seems like a very boom or bust pick, would a good comparison to him be Brian Rafalski? From what I read about Murphy he is a good skater, very good offensive potential, and he has similar size as Rafalski.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
I have never seen Murphy play, he seems like a very boom or bust pick, would a good comparison to him be Brian Rafalski? From what I read about Murphy he is a good skater, very good offensive potential, and he has similar size as Rafalski.

Yeah, sounds about right. Rafalski is more of a physical guy whereas Murphy is more finesse, but I like that comparison though.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Basically what I've expected and nothing new. Pretty safe ranking. I'd rank Strome over Murphy, easily.

I do not agree with the grading in the top four however. I would do it something like this:
Larsson: 8.5B
RNH: 8.5C
Landeskog: 8.0B
Couturier: 8.0B
So I would take 0.5 from Landeskog and add it to Couturier. I think Couturier is gonna be just as productive as Landeskog, or better.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Similar to Rafalski yes, but if Murphy turns out he should have a higher peak than Rafalski. A bit taller than Rafalski.

Playing style wise in the NHL right now, the closest offensive comparison is Green. Not body size or physicallity, even though Murphy can be physical when he wants to (Best hip check in the OHL).

Mar 14, 2011
A 7.5 B isn't that bad. It's basically a guaranteed NHL fringe 2nd liner with the potential to become a first liner.

I could change to a 8.0 C but I feel that he's more of a safe/"guaranteed" pick than a risk/reward pick.

i could see your reasoning for giving him a 7.5 B, although, i would have probably given him 8.0 B

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Similar to Rafalski yes, but if Murphy turns out he should have a higher peak than Rafalski. A bit taller than Rafalski.

Playing style wise in the NHL right now, the closest offensive comparison is Green. Not body size or physicallity, even though Murphy can be physical when he wants to (Best hip check in the OHL).

I actually think Ellis is more like Rafalski.

Murphy reminds me more of someone like Phil Housley or Dan Boyle. Murph tends to play more of a rover style.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Dan Boyle is probably the best comparison i've heard yet. Good call on that one - also I do really hate how Ellis and Murphy get compared so much. If Ellis had Murphy's skating he would probably be considered the second coming. Another comparison for Murphy would be Erik Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad