Draft question on unsigned draftees from 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
What happens to unsigned 2003 draftees from North America ( who cannot now be signed until a new CBA takes place) should the June 2005 draft not go ahead as scheduled and they cannot re-enter at that time?

Are they then automatically UFA's?

Would they still have to re-enter a postponed 2005 draft that might be held prior to any 2006 draft should a CBA get placed later in 2005 or in 2006 prior to the usual June 2006 draft?

Obviously the would be UFA's if there were only a combo draft in one in 2006 --but I think the NHL wants a separate if delayed 2005 draft. So what happens to their status if the 2005 draft is delayed?

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
hawksfan50 said:
What happens to unsigned 2003 draftees from North America ( who cannot now be signed until a new CBA takes place) should the June 2005 draft not go ahead as scheduled and they cannot re-enter at that time?

Are they then automatically UFA's?

Would they still have to re-enter a postponed 2005 draft that might be held prior to any 2006 draft should a CBA get placed later in 2005 or in 2006 prior to the usual June 2006 draft?

Obviously the would be UFA's if there were only a combo draft in one in 2006 --but I think the NHL wants a separate if delayed 2005 draft. So what happens to their status if the 2005 draft is delayed?

I think they re-entry the draft because that rule was part of the old CBA!! not sure though

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BuppY said:
I think they re-entry the draft because that rule was part of the old CBA!! not sure though

That is the likely option since that is what has always happened to Unsigned prospect young enough to re-enter, if they are over 20 then they become UFA in the old system .. likely also in the new system

.... many teams did not want to take the chance and signed them in the 11th hour before the lockout ...Phaneuf, Perry, Getzlaf, etc.

However I would like to propose a dispersal draft instead..

Where the NHL uses HF's Team ranking list and allows the poorer prospect systems the first crack that the Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Steve Bernier players

So the draft order would be starting with the 30. Colorado Avalanche and in reverse order :D

1) Colorado
2) Toronto
3) Tampa Bay Lightning
4) Carolina Hurricanes
5) Dallas Stars
etc.

The entry draft is based on the premise of giving the weakest teams first opportunity at the best players in the draft to create parity in the NHL ..

Would a dispersal (of re-entry players) in weakest system order not also work to create parity ????

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Im sure there will be a window to sign unsigned prospects from the 2003 draft that are unsigned if the cba is resolved after june of 05. I cant see all those unsigned prospects being let go into the next draft without an opportunity by the GM's of those teams who chose to wait until to sign prospects after a CBA is resolved.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
X-SHARKIE said:
The NHL didn't want teams to sign players just for the sake of signing them untill a new CBA was made...So why would the NHL and NHLPA punish those who didn't sign?

Because the NHLPA is all about the money?

If they see any semblance of a loophole where they can suck a few more dollars, they will at least attempt to exploit it.

X-SHARKIE

ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Im sure there will be a window to sign unsigned prospects from the 2003 draft that are unsigned if the cba is resolved after june of 05. I cant see all those unsigned prospects being let go into the next draft without an opportunity by the GM's of those teams who chose to wait until to sign prospects after a CBA is resolved.

Exactly, It wouldn't benifit the players, NHLPA, and the team...

Plus you need a CBA to sign the players, so it's not like come June there well be a mad dash at these players. It just won't happen.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
X-SHARKIE said:
Exactly, It wouldn't benifit the players, NHLPA, and the team...

Plus you need a CBA to sign the players, so it's not like come June there well be a mad dash at these players. It just won't happen.

I heard somewhere they will have to re-entry the draft that is the reason some of the teams signed there pospects such as calgary and Anaheim!!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
X-SHARKIE said:
The NHL didn't want teams to sign players just for the sake of signing them untill a new CBA was made...So why would the NHL and NHLPA punish those who didn't sign?

Don't worry folks, your 2003 draft picks are safe. It's just common sense.
If they are so safe .. Why did GM's panic and sign the Getzlaf, Phaneuf, Perry & Anthony Stewart prospects to higher old CBA terms, the last hour before a lockout .. and since many teams did it .. I hardly see as you have an iron clad answer here .. but I certainly can see with Steve Bernier in question why you would hope you are right..

Clearly the NHL did not make the rules clear to the teams GM's or why would we have seen all the signings ..

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

Don't worry folks, your 2003 draft picks are safe. It's just common sense.

Common sense?? Dude.....that's exactly the reason to worry...have you seen the state of the NHL lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->