Draft Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
ditto...but I think its Sean (Hossa) who wrote it

Hope things work out that I get someone between 15-20 but would be happy with Montoya....oh well

Go Hawks Go!

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Yep. I did write it.

It's going to be a fun draft. I bet if we collected draft lists after the draft...there would be guys who are #5 or #6 on some lists, and in the late 20s on others. It's a pretty interesting draft.

How does Boris Valabik sit with you Andrew?

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sean,

Have you been reading looking over my shoulder while I was doing my ranking coz it looks very similar... :dunno:

All well, all great minds think a like :jump:

Pandastyle

I'm not completely in the know with this years prospects, but I tend to steer clear of project type players. Plus todays Red Line Report says he's slow when it comes to making decisions, and I'm not too sure about drafting a guy prone to brain farts with my 1st round pick.

The two 1st round picks I've made since I've been here are Alex Steen and Dustin Brown, both IMO relatively safe bets to be solid NHL players. So though I don't know who I want yet, if I were to predict my pick, I'd likely guess that the Oil would take a more surefire starter.

Anyways, great work Sean, I always appreciate your insights (I'm still waiting for Hemsky to pull through like you promised long ago :) )
Hossa said:
Yep. I did write it.

It's going to be a fun draft. I bet if we collected draft lists after the draft...there would be guys who are #5 or #6 on some lists, and in the late 20s on others. It's a pretty interesting draft.

How does Boris Valabik sit with you Andrew?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Pandastyle said:
I'm not completely in the know with this years prospects, but I tend to steer clear of project type players. Plus todays Red Line Report says he's slow when it comes to making decisions, and I'm not too sure about drafting a guy prone to brain farts with my 1st round pick.

The two 1st round picks I've made since I've been here are Alex Steen and Dustin Brown, both IMO relatively safe bets to be solid NHL players. So though I don't know who I want yet, if I were to predict my pick, I'd likely guess that the Oil would take a more surefire starter.

Anyways, great work Sean, I always appreciate your insights (I'm still waiting for Hemsky to pull through like you promised long ago :) )

My logic was in large part that with all your safe, well-developed young players, you'd go out on a limb. That's what I expect a bit in this draft...lots of surprises. That's why I had Matt Kershaw taking Graham for example. It's not a strong draft. There's lots of talent, but so many players have question marks, like Valabik for example. It just seems to me like people could find their own players that they have high hopes for and take them, even if it's a bit off the board. Of course, I don't know who each person likes, so I have to guess. We'll see...I've seen a fair bit of Valabik and I like him quite a bit, I'll say that.

As for Hemsky, you just signed Mike Keenan, so I can'tbe blamed if he doesn't turn out well in Edmonton. That being said, I'd happily take him off your hands. ;)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Hossa said:
That's why I had Matt Kershaw taking Graham for example. It's not a strong draft. There's lots of talent, but so many players have question marks, like Valabik for example. It just seems to me like people could find their own players that they have high hopes for and take them, even if it's a bit off the board. ;)

I have to agree w/ you... I am definitely approaching the draft with the intent of taking my own players that may seem 'a bit off the 'board'.. Although Graham is a bit of a stretch at 14….Great Article....

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ditto - great article Sean.

Although I'm convinced you're trying to jedi mind trick me into taking a plodding palooka like Voloshenko, when you have a few picks following mine in the early 2nd, and probably covet some gems with those picks and would like to stear me in anothyer direction.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Ditto - great article Sean.

Although I'm convinced you're trying to jedi mind trick me into taking a plodding palooka like Voloshenko, when you have a few picks following mine in the early 2nd, and probably covet some gems with those picks and would like to stear me in anothyer direction.

I was thinking of giving you Korpikoski or Pineault, but went with Voloshenko. Besides, with Thornton, Lecavalier, Heatley, Chara and McCabe, you don't need anybody else anyways, so quit whining. :shakehead :lol

With Redline now listing Korpikoski in their top 10, I have a feeling he won't make it to your pick.

Pandastyle

Hossa said:
My logic was in large part that with all your safe, well-developed young players, you'd go out on a limb. That's what I expect a bit in this draft...lots of surprises. That's why I had Matt Kershaw taking Graham for example. It's not a strong draft. There's lots of talent, but so many players have question marks, like Valabik for example. It just seems to me like people could find their own players that they have high hopes for and take them, even if it's a bit off the board. Of course, I don't know who each person likes, so I have to guess. We'll see...I've seen a fair bit of Valabik and I like him quite a bit, I'll say that.

As for Hemsky, you just signed Mike Keenan, so I can'tbe blamed if he doesn't turn out well in Edmonton. That being said, I'd happily take him off your hands. ;)

I'm just lucky that the SIM doesn't take into account some of Keenan's less desirable characteristics.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Maybe because you're famous for your trigger finger Martin, and besides, if no one from Modo is on the board, trading it seems likely! :D

I hear that Oscar Hedman is a top three pick. I hear that he could be a steal even at 10. :yo:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Why am I not suprised to see that you have me picking Lauri Tukonen. Could it be because I tend to draft finns? :D But this time, just like when I picked Sean Bergenheim early in the 2nd round two years ago, Lauri is probably be the best player available at that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad