Draft Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Whoa, whoa. In what nonsense draft ranking am I below Colonel Klinkhammer? Last I checked, he had a confidence issue that affected his game. When I said Crabby was quickly becoming one of my favourite posters, he was visibly upset. Clear red flag for me if I were a scout...

Hey man, gotta go with BPA. If you're a second thought, you're second.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We currently sit at 4th worst in the league, but Carolina (1 point back) and Florida (6 points back) each have a game in hand on us. If Carolina wins that game in hand, they move ahead of us in the standings, giving us the 3rd pick. Colorado is even with us in games and is 3 points back.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Monahan can't speak much for the others not in the OHL or WHL, but what he was able to do on that Ottawa team this year was unreal. Read in an article a while back questioning his attitude and I found that absurd. Kid's a trooper and was positive throughout the year, has a great attitude and I don't think I can forget his performance at the OHL cup a few years back. Really fell under the radar with the poor Ottawa team, no WJC, and his suspension.

To add to his attitude, he has tremendous skill, reliable offensive and defensive. Kid is a copy of Toews. With Vinny getting older, Monahan would be the perfect replacement and wouldn't be rushed at all. Slick hands, big frame to open space for his teammates, as well good at faceoffs, and works well around the works to cycle the puck very well too. Only knock on him is his skating, but that can be improved.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Nothing would upset me more than if Edmonton won the draft lottery AGAIN. There should definitely be some unwritten rule in place that a team cannot win the lottery back to back to back to back...

By the way, latest mock draft according to mynhldraft:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

MacKinnon going to us at 3rd overall, I love it :nod:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Nothing would upset me more than if Edmonton won the draft lottery AGAIN. There should definitely be some unwritten rule in place that a team cannot win the lottery back to back to back to back...

I would rather have Nichuskin at #3. He is reminding scouts of a young Malkin, that is something that is hard to pass on.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land

There should be a reverse lottery in which one lotto team is forced to pick 14th. And Edmonton should win it every year until they finally make the playoffs.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I would rather have Nichuskin at #3. He is reminding scouts of a young Malkin, that is something that is hard to pass on.

This, of the top4 (with Nishushikin) the one I want the least is MacKinnon. I think it would not be a wise move to get him, because it would force us to trade him in a few years or buyout VL4

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
This, of the top4 (with Nishushikin) the one I want the least is MacKinnon. I think it would not be a wise move to get him, because it would force us to trade him in a few years or buyout VL4

We barely have any center depth. I don't see how center depth would hurt. We are stacked on wing and goalie (and the defense is starting to stack up) but center is possibly the weakest position in the pipeline for TBL.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
We barely have any center depth. I don't see how center depth would hurt. We are stacked on wing and goalie (and the defense is starting to stack up) but center is possibly the weakest position in the pipeline for TBL.

Is it really? Namestnikov and Johnson play center, if I remember right, Nishuchkin can play there too, if needed. And Killorn is a possible center as well. And Peca is promising as well. It's obviously not the our best position, but it's our best in the NHL already (in the top6), and the first guy that will leave is our star winger, so I think a new possible star winger would be the better decision.Though, Kucherov could reach that level, but I am not sure if he really will be an elite guy.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We were talking through some scenarios on the Preds board, and if they standings stay where they are (doubtful, but still), we see Florida grabbing Jones and Colorado taking Drouin (they need a winger). That leaves you at #3 with Mac on the board.

Would you have any interest in trading your #3 for our pick (likely 4/5/6) + Blum? Seems to me like you have needs everywhere except at C, so taking Mackinnon seems like bad asset management to me. Would you rather have Blum+Nich/Nurse?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I could see us trading down from 3 with Mac on the board, but I see it as a mistake. Never too many centers, and Mac could be an elite talent which could give us some options in dealing with Vinny in the future.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
We were talking through some scenarios on the Preds board, and if they standings stay where they are (doubtful, but still), we see Florida grabbing Jones and Colorado taking Drouin (they need a winger). That leaves you at #3 with Mac on the board.

Would you have any interest in trading your #3 for our pick (likely 4/5/6) + Blum? Seems to me like you have needs everywhere except at C, so taking Mackinnon seems like bad asset management to me. Would you rather have Blum+Nich/Nurse?

Isn't it worse asset management to not take BPA in the top 5? If Mac becomes a superstar, need is pretty irrelevant.

Not to say making a trade there wouldn't be possible, but if we think Mac is potential superstar, we won't trade him just because of a 33-year-old center.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

I like this offer and definitly would take it. IMO Nishuchkin is on the same level as the top3 and we really have no need to get a guy, that is ready right away, so I would prefer Nishuchkin(in 2 years) + Blum over MAcKinnon (in TBL case). I think it would be a fair trade for both teams.

What would you think about our first and Malone/ Purcell for yours and Josi??

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I like this offer and definitly would take it. IMO Nishuchkin is on the same level as the top3 and we really have no need to get a guy, that is ready right away, so I would prefer Nishuchkin(in 2 years) + Blum over MAcKinnon (in TBL case). I think it would be a fair trade for both teams.

What would you think about our first and Malone/ Purcell for yours and Josi??

Nashville will not trade Josi

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

Well I expect this answer, but at least it's worth asking. But otherwise, this trade could bring them back in the playoffs right away.
A first line of Forsberg-MacKinnon-Purcell would be a good first line and they would not have a really big hole on D, because all their guys behind Josi on the depth chart should be able to step up a bit and should make the loss of Josi a little less hard.

I would even offer our first, Malone, Purcell and Brown, to get their first and Josi.
This guy would really be the perfect solution for our problems, if we don't get Jones.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

Ellis and Blum can move. Josi cannot.

He is our 3rd most valuable player behind only Weber and Rinne. The only way I would move him is for Mackinnon, without our 1st involved. Not saying he's worth that, but that's what it would take for us to move him.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Ellis and Blum can move. Josi cannot.

He is our 3rd most valuable player behind only Weber and Rinne. The only way I would move him is for Mackinnon, without our 1st involved. Not saying he's worth that, but that's what it would take for us to move him.

Which one has the better defensive potential? This one we take in your offer a few posts ago :nod:

And to be honest I would really consider trading our 1st (and maybe Brown) for Josi and your 2nd. Not sure if it would be a wise move though.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Which one has the better defensive potential? This one we take in your offer a few posts ago :nod:

And to be honest I would really consider trading our 1st (and maybe Brown) for Josi and your 2nd. Not sure if it would be a wise move though.

Preds fans disagree, but most think Ellis is better. Personally, I like Blum.

We don't have a 2nd (AK trade), but otherwise I'd strongly consider it.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

In the little I've seen of him, his game resembles nothing of Malkin's. Nichushkin looks like a player who dominates the game down low and lacks that extra top gear of a Malkin. His hands are above average and he's more of a natural winger than centerman. He does have that bit of grit that Malking brings to the table, he just doesn't always bring the physicality.

If anything, Jordan Staal would be a more appropriate comparison. MacKinnon, to me, is a poor man's Crosby. He sees the game at a high level and uses his speed and balance to control the puck in Crosby fashion. Obviously his scoring instincts are not on par, but he screams 80+ point player at his peak with the right line mates.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

I would rather have MacKinnon. Elite centermen are extremely rare and he's scoring at a torrid pace in the playoffs right now and his numbers in the regular season would have been better had he not been injured. He looks ready to make the jump to the NHL next year and the competition at the lower levels looks as though it's boring him.

Not really interested in Blum either and as you stated Josi is not on the table. We would need a better and more established defenseman than Blum coming our way if we're trading out of the elite top 3.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Isn't it worse asset management to not take BPA in the top 5? If Mac becomes a superstar, need is pretty irrelevant.

Not to say making a trade there wouldn't be possible, but if we think Mac is potential superstar, we won't trade him just because of a 33-year-old center.

This. It's worse asset management to trade down from the top 3 considering all the scouts rate them as "elite talents", especially if you are not receiving a top player and a pick in return. Tampa has needs everywhere right now and unless we're also receiving a player who could help us win next year (aka Josi), there'd be no point in trading down. Mac looks NHL ready and I can see his game being transferable to the big stage.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Preds fans disagree, but most think Ellis is better. Personally, I like Blum.

We don't have a 2nd (AK trade), but otherwise I'd strongly consider it.

Just a last dream out of my brain :) would the 3rd overall + ~10 overall for Josi and 5/6 overall be enough?

If SY makes some great moves and confinces 2 GMs to give us 1 rounders for Purcell and Malone (maybe + Brown), we could trade this for a higher pick and maybe offer you the offer above.
Sorry for my scarry trades today, I just have too much time to think about hockey right now, with nothing to think about because of Tampas recent "success"

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Just a last dream out of my brain :) would the 3rd overall + ~10 overall for Josi and 5/6 overall be enough?

If SY makes some great moves and confinces 2 GMs to give us 1 rounders for Purcell and Malone (maybe + Brown), we could trade this for a higher pick and maybe offer you the offer above.
Sorry for my scarry trades today, I just have too much time to think about hockey right now, with nothing to think about because of Tampas recent "success"
Won't happen. The teams in the top 8 have legit needs for the high end talent of the draft, and the top 8-10 is certainly stacked with talent. We're not moving into that range without some miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad