OT: Draft Picks Over The Years

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Had this discussion with my buddy the other day on who has been the biggest bust in Caps draft pick history and who was the best late round draft choice (5th round or more) in Capitals history. I also threw in the worst draft we had in my eyes

I'm a youngin so mine are:

Bust: Anton Gustafsson | Sasha Pokulok

Gus played a total of 1 game in Hershey and Sasha bounced around the minors and has since played the past 6 years in the LNAH.

Late Round: Mathieu Perreault

Matty P didn't have a long Caps career but he's had a nice career and gets about 40-45 points a year. Honorable mention to Djoos here since he also was a 7th rounder and looks like he might carve himself out a career as a bottom pairing D

Worst Draft: Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2007

Other than Karl this draft stunk. No other draft choice had a game in the NHL and a lot of guys barely carved out AHL playing time.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yes and bust is probably Volchkov. Worst draft probably 2005 since Alzner was at least a solid player for them for a decade, unlike those two first round stiffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Volchkov, jeebus. forgot about him. was gonna say Beech. But yeah...
I mean...:
In one incident while playing with the Capitals’ minor league affiliate Portland Pirates, he walked out on the team during a playoff game.

Having had enough of his poor attitude and chronic underachieving, the Capitals traded Volchkov to the Edmonton Oilers on February 4, 2000, for a fourth round draft pick, but he never played with the parent club. Former Oilers’ GM Kevin Lowe, then the team’s coach, recalled his first training camp meeting with Volchkov in which the player insisted on being referred to as The Volch-inator. After just twenty-five games with the Oilers’ minor league affiliate Hamilton Bulldogs, team management soured on his poor attitude, and he returned to play in Russia.”

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jeff Greenlaw may be in the top 10. So many to choose from though maybe he is only top 20. Trevor Halverson.... and just stumbled upon the KO that ruined him. The McPhee takes on the Hawks game. He should have just dressed his goons. What was he thinking.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Had this discussion with my buddy the other day on who has been the biggest bust in Caps draft pick history and who was the best late round draft choice (5th round or more) in Capitals history. I also threw in the worst draft we had in my eyes

I'm a youngin so mine are:

Bust: Anton Gustafsson | Sasha Pokulok

Gus played a total of 1 game in Hershey and Sasha bounced around the minors and has since played the past 6 years in the LNAH.

Late Round: Mathieu Perreault

Matty P didn't have a long Caps career but he's had a nice career and gets about 40-45 points a year. Honorable mention to Djoos here since he also was a 7th rounder and looks like he might carve himself out a career as a bottom pairing D

Worst Draft: Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2007

Other than Karl this draft stunk. No other draft choice had a game in the NHL and a lot of guys barely carved out AHL playing time.
Not sure I'd say Gustafson was a bust. We didn't really get a good look at him. He only played one AHL game before going back to Europe. Tough to say he is a bust based on one game. BTW he had 2 assists in that one game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Baby Gus had a bad back. I did have a nice view at Kettler when he crashed into the goal post right in front of me.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not sure I'd say Gustafson was a bust. We didn't really get a good look at him. He only played one AHL game before going back to Europe. Tough to say he is a bust based on one game. BTW he had 2 assists in that one game.
I’d say he was a bust. We ended up wasting a first rounder on a guy who played one meaningless AHL game when Hershey rested their regulars and had a playoff spot clinched.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I had high hopes for Kharlamov...oh well. Bloodlines rarely seem to work out. Certainly not as much of a bust as Volchkov.
Further back, 1980 selecting Darren Veitch with the 5th overall, Oilers took Coffey next.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I’d say he was a bust. We ended up wasting a first rounder on a guy who played one meaningless AHL game when Hershey rested their regulars and had a playoff spot clinched.
He was a later 1st round pick. Volchkov was 4th overall and didn't score an NHL point. Didn't do much in the minors either.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If you guys want to get technical you could call our very first pick in history a bust.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

He was a complete bust, but Volchkov takes the top spot. Heartless player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I had high hopes for Kharlamov...oh well. Bloodlines rarely seem to work out. Certainly not as much of a bust as Volchkov.
Further back, 1980 selecting Darren Veitch with the 5th overall, Oilers took Coffey next.

At least Veitch played 500 NHL games and scored almost 300 pts, but he’s on the bust list for sure given his draft position.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad