Draft pick best case scenario

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dal Colle wasnt considered an elite talent like Svechnikov is. In his draft year Svechnikov scored more goals than Dal Colle in 20 less games.

We're talking a Taylor Hall level prospect. None of those D are that level, sure they could end up that good but Svechnikov is much more likely

I'm with you on this... I think Svech easily goes #1 if he was in last year's draft.

Reactions: newfy

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I'm ok with drafting lil svech, I mean who wouldn't want him on their team ?

My only counter point is elite defenseman are hard to aquire so the only real way to get them are through the draft.

Anyone would welcome a tarasenko on their team, but there is a reason Adam Larsson fetches Taylor hall.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

My only counter point is elite defenseman are hard to aquire so the only real way to get them are through the draft.

Anyone would welcome a tarasenko on their team, but there is a reason Adam Larsson fetches Taylor hall.

Is the reason Peter Chiarelli? Because I think the answer is Peter Chiarelli. I don't think that trade is viewed as the norm as you paint it, it's viewed as Chia being Chia.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
The only pick I don't want is 3rd, because I think Zadina is probably the front runner for that spot, I don't really want him, and I think it would be hard trading out of that spot for anything that would make it worth the move. If we did get 3rd, I'd probably just take Dobson and then see how far Zadina slips.

I am sorry but that's complete B.S. Yeah I'll pass on three so I can pick wherever else after and get the left overs. I am sorry to put you on blast but that's insanity. Yes picking 3rd is a consolation prize but the only pick i don't want? so frustrating to hear wings fans say they don't want a higher pick after the crap seasons we have put up with.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
With Svechnikov he's a key piece to becoming good again. He's either part of your rebuild or you can easily trade him for a good young D-man. I see no downside if you are able to draft him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yes, and it is because Edmonton has stupid management.

Adam Larsson was dealt for Taylor Hall because Hall had deflated numbers due to bad roster management and any kind of viable, cost-controlled top 4 with passable top pairing ability was such a dire need for Edmonton that they dealt him away.

That was not the market price for a D. That was a team desperate for an upgrade getting gouged by a team with a cost-controlled asset. You have to remember that NJD weren't trading for 93 point Taylor Hall who had some ridiculous point streak. They were paying for a guy who hit 80 points once three or four years prior, but was more recently a 50/60 point wing on a bad team. You have to stop pinning your argument on something that happened once. Usually, top 4 D go for a couple 2nd round picks. (Jonny Boychuk, Nick Leddy, Douglas Murray, etc.) or warty top D go for picks, cap dumps, and such (Phaneuf for a bunch of trash).

Adam Larsson also still had a bit of the "he was taken 4OA, so clearly he has more potential than what he's shown" kind of benefit of the doubt at the time of the deal too.

There are many good reasons to forgo taking Svech or Zadina in favor of a D. The fact that Adam Larsson was traded for Taylor Hall is not one of them. Again, that trade has proven to not be market value and it was NJD seizing on Edmonton's desire to improve their D at any cost.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Outside of the first pick, which pick would you prefer to have this coming Saturday ?

Hope for 2nd and trade down ?
Keep 2nd ?

4th pick to grab best available defenseman ?

Everyone wants the first pick but what would be the alternative best case scenario for us ?

It is impossible that we pick 4th.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yes, and it is because Edmonton has stupid management.

Cost was awful and I've argued since it happened that it shouldn't be used to set trade values for D, but I guess there's been talk since he was dealt that he was a bit of a problem off the ice. Not Tinky Winky sort of problems, but more just not doing what the coach asked of him, playing his own way, etc. Still, awful value for him. Chiarelli has botched Edmonton something fierce.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If we can get 2 top pair first round D I think that's an amazing scenario. I'd do whatever possible to make that happen.

Just out of curiosity, what's a realistic (but purely hypothetical) price to go from 2OA to 1OA?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If we can get 2 top pair first round D I think that's an amazing scenario. I'd do whatever possible to make that happen.

Just out of curiosity, what's a realistic (but purely hypothetical) price to go from 2OA to 1OA?
It's so hard to gauge prices for something like that as #1OA never gets moved. But I imagine it would have to look like 2OA + Larkin + Evgeny Svechnikov. Which isn't worth it to us as trading Larkin decimates our future at center.

Maybe we could swing something like 2OA + Evgeny + 27OA + Hronek + AA... I just can't imagine Dahlin being traded.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I can't imagine any team that gets #1OA being willing to trade a probable 1D on an ELC contract for just about any collection of, essentially, junk, we could assemble in return.

Edit: hypothetically, I imagine some other team with better assets might be able to make the move, but it would cost more than it's likely worth. Top pair, young D/Draisaitl-ish C, multiple top end picks to boot. I mean, if the Wings had #1, what would you want for it? More than anyone else would conceivably agree to, right?

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It's hard enough to get one top pairing D.

Realistically we should aim to get one top pairing D (with the top 10 pick) and then a middle pairing guy with that pick in the 20-30 range.

Then we have Cholowski and Hronek to hopefully fill out that future top 4.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I honestly expect some bull crap to happen and Chicago or Edmonton somehow pick before us.

With that said, I have no best case scenario because I have no expectations that we pick high knowing our luck - if that makes sense.... Either way I think we pick a defenseman early on.

I feel like we picked a bad year to suck. And we didn’t even suck hard enough. Either way like I said, we end up taking the BPA that’s a defenseman.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Ryan Merkely, once thought to be a top 10 picks, may drop out of the first round. This years Ho-Sang.

Type of pick the Wings need to start making. We have enough Quantity, we need more top end Quality.

Also would not mind us to package two of our 27-38 picks and a Winger (AA or Nyquist) to move up to the mid teens if there is an obvious faller

Dream scenario. We win lottery, Veleno or another good player falls to 14-16 and we’re able to get the pick by trading our two seconds and Athanasiou or Nyquist, we’re able to snatch Merkely with Vegas’s pick.

Will never happen, but always fun to dream

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Cusack

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Ryan Merkely, once thought to be a top 10 picks, may drop out of the first round. This years Ho-Sang.

Type of pick the Wings need to start making. We have enough Quantity, we need more top end Quality.

How is Ho-Sang's career trending? Does he look like he's ever going to contribute for the Isles? He was getting scratched and buried on the fourth line this year.

A lot of times these guys if they're ever going to grow up don't end up doing it until after they leave the organization that drafts them.

What we know about this organization and with how the AA thing is playing out, I just can't envision a scenario where they would draft a guy like Merkley.

I honestly expect some bull crap to happen and Chicago or Edmonton somehow pick before us.

Same

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
How is Ho-Sang's career trending? Does he look like he's ever going to contribute for the Isles? He was getting scratched and buried on the fourth line this year.

A lot of times these guys if they're ever going to grow up don't end up doing it until after they leave the organization that drafts them.

What we know about this organization and with how the AA thing is playing out, I just can't envision a scenario where they would draft a guy like Merkley.

Same

I say you do your homework on Merkley. Find what his issue is and then leave it up to Z, Larkin, Kronner, etc. to work with him to flush that out. Like Z is trying to do with Mantha and his low compete level. Z will tell him and it was Greener that would show him that floating gets you ****ing wrecked. Have your leadership make it very plain for him that he's going to work his ass off or he's not going to play or that he won't have their support. Come in and play our way and get your head out of your ass, rookie, or you're gone.

Same with AA. Play with us our way, or you're gone.

I would hate to see Merkley on the board, we pass on him because of something that seems like it could be correctable and then he goes to Chicago and is a stud for them. I'm willing to take that risk, because I think we have guys in place in leadership that will be able to make it pretty plain to Merkley that it is essentially our way or the highway. If we have a good leader in Z and one of our best young players is also probably our hardest working young player in Larkin, I think we take the shot that elite PMD Merkley can get his immature demons exorcised.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'm with you on this... I think Svech easily goes #1 if he was in last year's draft.

It's funny because people shit on last year's draft.
Vilardi is almost the exact same age as Tkachuk and my guess is that he could go as high as #2 if he was born 20 days later.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It's funny because people **** on last year's draft.
Vilardi is almost the exact same age as Tkachuk and my guess is that he could go as high as #2 if he was born 20 days later.

No. He wouldn't.

Vilardi is a great prospect. He's fantastic. But the same concerns that made him fall to 11 last year are still there. His skating is still not especially strong. He has several fantastic attributes. But he's not a perfect prospect which is why teams passed on him. His good traits aren't enough to completely overshadow his drawback.

I know you fall in love with certain players and think the world of them. There is no issue with that. The issue comes when you refuse to countenance for a second that anyone is on the level of the guy you like. Or that they might have a flaw that prevents them from being what you think.

Gabriel Vilardi is a top ten draft talent. The Wings would have done well if they drafted him. Michael Rasmussen was a top ten talent. The Wings did well by drafting him. The Wings not making a Redder approved pick does not immediately mean it is bad. Or not bending to sign an erstwhile AA for 2.5M (aka overslot for a 19 goal, 35-40 point winger) does not make that a mistake either. There needs to be a little less "my way or the highway" in your debate style. It's not ever a discussion, but a listing of why you are right.

I would say that Vilardi probably fits into the Wahlstrom and younger Tkachuk range in this draft. AKA anywhere between 5-10. He's obviously a lesser prospect than Dahlin, he's likely to be lesser than Zadina and lil Svech, and then you get to defenseman vs. other positions when you speak on Quinn Hughes, Dobson, or Boqvist.

Reactions: NickH8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad