Draft pick best case scenario

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Outside of the first pick, which pick would you prefer to have this coming Saturday ?

Hope for 2nd and trade down ?
Keep 2nd ?

4th pick to grab best available defenseman ?

Everyone wants the first pick but what would be the alternative best case scenario for us ?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
outside of Dahlin, hope to pick as high as possible and pick BPA. With our lack of talent in pretty much every position we just need straight up talented players, we cannot afford to pick and choose based on position. So that would probably be Svechnikov or Zadina based on all of the mock drafts, no clue who our scouts would take

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
So if you had 2nd pick you're gonna take a winger and not trade down to 5th or so, grab an extra 2nd and still get a top defenseman that we desperately need ?

I get the bpa route and getting elite talent but this is a tough draft to pass on these high profile defenseman.

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
Would really like to see them leave the Draft with a solid D.

If they stay at five or even slide to six or seven. Would love to see Bouchard be the pick.

Wouldn’t hate to see them package VGK 1 and one of the 2s to jump back into the 12-15 range if a guy like Dobson slides a little

2 potentially top pair D to add to Cholo, Hronek, Villi and Lil Joe would really boost the D.

Reactions: David D and rhef3

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
So if you had 2nd pick you're gonna take a winger and not trade down to 5th or so, grab an extra 2nd and still get a top defenseman that we desperately need ?

I get the bpa route and getting elite talent but this is a tough draft to pass on these high profile defenseman.
If we have pick 4 then I agree with you, but in this draft you can't pass on an elite Winger to take a good or great defense prospect. The talent gap is to big for me to pass on them.

After the top 3 are picked though. You take your pick of those defenseman. Personally I go boqvist.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I'd need a lot more than an extra 2nd to trade down from #2. I'd definitely be open to it given how badly we need a high-end D prospect, but if we have a chance to land Svechnikov that's not something I just give away.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Best case that doesn't involve Dahlin? We draft after whoever takes Tkachuk.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'd be satisfied with pretty much any of the defenseman that are going to be going in the top-10 range and I'm not exactly in love with Svech/Zadina...

so I guess my "cheating" answer would be: get the #2 pick, teams get in a bidding war for the chance to draft Svech, we get a great haul and pick 4th and get our top choice of a defenseman....while also get additional ammo to move up later on where we choose

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Trading down, especially with the return of only an extra second would be fundamentally the stupidest thing Holland has ever done. The only way that I would be okay with it is if its pick #3 and they get a mid 1st round plus a top ten pick.

Reactions: Oddbob

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So not a fan of trading down a few spots frk it ?

Even if we can grab another 1st rounder ?

#1 and #2 pick generally do not get moved at all. That said, I think Svechnikov is a notch above whoever you want to put at #3 in this draft, so I would probably just take him at #2 regardless.

Reactions: Winger98

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah Svech is the next best thing after Dahlin so you hope for 2nd. Its too bad there isnt a better dman at 2nd but Svech is too good to pass on. Guys like Bouchard, Boqvist and Dobson arent on that level of prospect. Svech has Patty Kane/Tarasenko type potential as a winger. Wingers of that calibre are still worth a 2nd pick.

Hardest thing to do in the NHL is score goals, Svech is great at it.

I dont like Zadina nearly as much though so number 3 is a weird one for me.

Reactions: Winger98

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
#1 and #2 pick generally do not get moved at all. That said, I think Svechnikov is a notch above whoever you want to put at #3 in this draft, so I would probably just take him at #2 regardless.

The first and second a definitely not usually moved, and definitely not for a pick somewhere between 20-50 as compensation. To get a top pick you need to really have an amazing offer.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The only pick I don't want is 3rd, because I think Zadina is probably the front runner for that spot, I don't really want him, and I think it would be hard trading out of that spot for anything that would make it worth the move. If we did get 3rd, I'd probably just take Dobson and then see how far Zadina slips.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zadina will go 2 , he is NHL ready , Svechnikov will bring a lot off skills , not sure about personality . Tkachuk will play any situation and he is NHL ready . After this players it really doesn't meter , there a lot of players could be great , could be bust . If they trade down it will be ok with me . If we got defenseman i want him to be good at defense first , probably Doubson after Dahlin is the best choice

razor ray

May 8, 2011
BPA or take a defensemen since they usually take a bit longer to develop and the Wings will stink for awhile.

One of the trades discussed on this site was the Vegas 1st, Det 2nd, and AA for Oilers pick at 9. That could definitely land two top shelf D prospects.

Reactions: rhef3

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only pick I don't want is 3rd, because I think Zadina is probably the front runner for that spot, I don't really want him, and I think it would be hard trading out of that spot for anything that would make it worth the move. If we did get 3rd, I'd probably just take Dobson and then see how far Zadina slips.

Not the worst problem to have, at the same time. Why do you not want Zadina?

I could consider other guys like Wahlstrom, Dobson, or Boqvist at that pick. I have the guys in the 3-9 range all pretty tight together. But there's still an appeal to getting the pick of the litter. I do think teams will strongly consider Tkachuk in the 2-5 range as well.

I think this will work itself out in our favor, we probably draft 6/7 and get a great defenseman prospect to address our area of biggest need.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
#1 dahlin
#2 svech
#3-7 range tkachuk is best case but lots of good options.
After that is a disappointment and worst case. BUT we will still get a good player here. Just not one of the more "sure things". 3-7 are fairly close. Always a chance at superstars or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad