Draft Order

A Good Flying Bird*

Jaded-Fan said:
If it makes you feel any better I certainly am crossing my fingers that Detroit switches positions with my Pens next year. Then you can have the indescribable pleasure of a top draft pick.

Yeah. You know, it ain't like I don't remember the early 80s Jaded.
Joe Murphy ring any bells?

A Good Flying Bird*

PecaFan said:
Gee, I guess you guys should win some playoff games then, to correct this grievous situation. :sarcasm:

And of course, you're perfectly free to lose 50+ games and miss the playoffs next season, if you want a better draft pick.

The "Waah, we had the best team but choked, so we should be rewarded with a better draft pick" routine fails to impress.

It's not about choking, genius.
The Wings didn't CHOKE.

They just aren't as good as their regular season indicates.

Look, if you want to turn the entire draft into a weighted lottery, I'm all for it.

But if you're going to say that the worse team REQUIRES to higher pick, then you should take into account playoff positions.

Because, IMO, the regular season doesn't determine which team is better and which team is worse.
That doesn't get decided until the playoffs.
It's not whining, it's my view.

A Good Flying Bird*

montreal said:
Is it fair that the wings play 24 games against 3 of the bottom 5 teams in the league? 16 of which are against 2 of 3 worst teams in the league.

Nope.
And it's not fair to Red Wings fans to have to watch 24 god awful hockey games against St. Louis, Columbus, and Chicago, either.
All that does is ARTIFCIALLY increase your point total, giving the team false confidence, and also making our draft choices fall deeper into the draft.
Detroit, IMO, isn't any better than any of the teams that made the playoiffs.
I predicted their loss to Edmonton in six.

A Good Flying Bird*

Spongebob said:
Exactly.....there are alot fans that would give up a top 10 pick to see their team finish with the best record overall......Let the Red Wings finish in the basement....and then see if they think the team with the best record in the regular season should get a high draft pick. :shakehead

You guys are some of the most bitter, negative posters I have ever come across.
Maybe you don't remember the 70s and 80s. You also have no understanding of hockey history.
Take a look at Detroit's record for the better part of 25 years. It was awful, okay.
Detroit has had a lot of high draft picks over the years.

A Good Flying Bird*

Birko19 said:
No the Wings will draft 29th for sure, they only had a chance at 29th and 30th, so since they're out of the playoffs and they have the best reg season record they get the 29th.

I know, I said 27-29 in reference to the other years in which the team lost in the first round

A Good Flying Bird*

Irish Blues said:
(this comment directed at anyone who wants to talk about how fair/unfair it is for teams to pick high/low in the draft based on success/lack of success in the regular season)

We had a thread that discussed this - if someone wants to dig up how the draft order should be set, go there. We're discussing how the draft order is set, and trying to come up with a source to validate it.

Hasn't that already been posted in this thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad