Draft Order

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Somebody was telling me that the draft order is now besad on when you are eliminated and regular season is only as it relates to ranking with that group of teams elinated. Is that true or not? It gives Stars and Wings something to hold on to.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I haven't heard anything but that would be great because the Rangers would get the earliest pick out of all the playoffs teams. haha

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think the team who win the Cup will get last pick and then others will get their picks on how the performed in the reg season with the adjustement that some teams may move up one pick depending on where the winner of the cup was placed in the reg season.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I always thought that the team that wins the cup get's the 30th pick automaticly and the rest is based on the reguler season results, so Detroit gets the 29th pick automaticly in this case and Dallas should get the 26th pick if non of Ottawa or Carolina win the cup.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
I'm trying to do a board to board mock, so if someone can say with 100% certainty that would be appreciated. I'm under the impression that it's still: cup winner to #30, the rest go by reg. season finish.

Also, which draft picks have changed hands in the 1st (& also 2nd if possible)?
I know of:

MIN gets EDM's #1 (Roloson)
STL gets CAR's #1? (Weight)
others?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Stay with the method that was in effect previously - if it was changing, we'd surely have heard about it by now.

-- *If* teams who go out early get higher picks than teams who stay in for a while, then I'd imagine that the teams that go out in the same round would get seeded by # of points, lowest to highest. But I've yet to see anything to back this up.

A Good Flying Bird*

Irish Blues said:
Stay with the method that was in effect previously - if it was changing, we'd surely have heard about it by now.

-- *If* teams who go out early get higher picks than teams who stay in for a while, then I'd imagine that the teams that go out in the same round would get seeded by # of points, lowest to highest. But I've yet to see anything to back this up.

That's one of the things I'd propose, if the NHL is opposed to full-out weighted lottery.

It seems silly to me that the Wings always get real late picks even when they get bounced in the first round.

But for some reason, the playoffs count for the cup winner.
A pretty big inconsistency in their logic.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Yes, but they can't provide any evidence that that's the case. All that they're going by is a line that says:

"Remaining draft positions will be determined at the end of the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

That could mean as little as the Cup winner picking last and shuffling the picks, which would be the most logical conclusion.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Isn't it...

Stanley Cup Winner picks 30th
Division winners pick 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, 24
The rest of the playoff contenders are seeded according to points.
1-14 are seeded according to points, with the lottery winner moving up 4 spots.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
King'sPawn said:
Isn't it...

Stanley Cup Winner picks 30th
Division winners pick 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, 24
The rest of the playoff contenders are seeded according to points.
1-14 are seeded according to points, with the lottery winner moving up 4 spots.
Loosely, yes. After 14 it's the playoff teams that didn't win their division AND didn't win the cup, from fewest points to most. Then, it's the division winners who DIDN'T win the Cup, from fewest points to most. Then, it's the Stanley Cup champion at 30.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
TinCanCommunications said:
That's one of the things I'd propose, if the NHL is opposed to full-out weighted lottery.

It seems silly to me that the Wings always get real late picks even when they get bounced in the first round.

But for some reason, the playoffs count for the cup winner.
A pretty big inconsistency in their logic.

I see your point, but winning the Stanley Cup is a small price to pay for having the last pick. True, in this system, the playoffs only count for the Cup winner, but does anyone ever care about the losing team in the Conference Finals or, for that matter, the losing team in the Finals?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
AFAIK, it goes...

- Teams who don't make the playoffs get the top 14, draft lottery is held to determine who moves up.

- Teams who made the playoffs but didn't win the cup and didn't finish 1st in their division.

- Teams who finished 1st in their division but didn't win the cup.

- Team who won the cup.

Using that, the draft order right now would be...

1. St. Louis
2. Pittsburgh
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Boston
6. Columbus
7. NY Islanders
8. Phoenix
9. Minnesota
10. Florida
11. Los Angeles
12. Atlanta
13. Toronto
14. Vancouver
15. Tampa Bay
16. Montreal
17. Edmonton
18. Colorado
19. Anaheim
20. San Jose
21. NY Rangers
22. Philadelphia
23. Nashville
24. Buffalo
25. New Jersey
26. Calgary
27. Carolina
28. Dallas
29. Ottawa
30. Detroit

Teams still in the playoffs are bold.

But we know Detroit is drafting 29th, but until we know who the champs are that's as good as you can predict it. Just take whoever wins the cup and put them 30th and move up everyone that was below them by 1.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Caesium said:
AFAIK, it goes...

- Teams who don't make the playoffs get the top 14, draft lottery is held to determine who moves up.

- Teams who made the playoffs but didn't win the cup and didn't finish 1st in their division.

- Teams who finished 1st in their division but didn't win the cup.

- Team who won the cup.

Using that, the draft order right now would be...

1. St. Louis
2. Pittsburgh
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. Boston
6. Columbus
7. NY Islanders
8. Phoenix
9. Minnesota
10. Florida
11. Los Angeles
12. Atlanta
13. Toronto
14. Vancouver
15. Tampa Bay
16. Montreal
17. Edmonton
18. Colorado
19. Anaheim
20. San Jose
21. NY Rangers
22. Philadelphia
23. Nashville
24. Buffalo
25. New Jersey
26. Calgary
27. Carolina
28. Dallas
29. Ottawa
30. Detroit

Teams still in the playoffs are bold.

But we know Detroit is drafting 29th, but until we know who the champs are that's as good as you can predict it. Just take whoever wins the cup and put them 30th and move up everyone that was below them by 1.

I though I said just that ;)

A Good Flying Bird*

So Detroit is drafting in the 27-29 slot again.

For those of you who think that the worst teams need the highest draft picks, do you think this is fair?
Every year, Detroit cruises through the regular season, gets knocked out early, and then gets to pick 7-10 spots after the team that eliminated them ...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

For those of you who think that the worst teams need the highest draft picks, do you think this is fair?
Every year, Detroit cruises through the regular season, gets knocked out early, and then gets to pick 7-10 spots after the team that eliminated them ...

Is it fair that the wings play 24 games against 3 of the bottom 5 teams in the league? 16 of which are against 2 of 3 worst teams in the league.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)

Gee, I guess you guys should win some playoff games then, to correct this grievous situation. :sarcasm:

And of course, you're perfectly free to lose 50+ games and miss the playoffs next season, if you want a better draft pick.

The "Waah, we had the best team but choked, so we should be rewarded with a better draft pick" routine fails to impress.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Gee, I guess you guys should win some playoff games then, to correct this grievous situation. :sarcasm:

And of course, you're perfectly free to lose 50+ games and miss the playoffs next season, if you want a better draft pick.

The "Waah, we had the best team but choked, so we should be rewarded with a better draft pick" routine fails to impress.

Exactly.....there are alot fans that would give up a top 10 pick to see their team finish with the best record overall......Let the Red Wings finish in the basement....and then see if they think the team with the best record in the regular season should get a high draft pick. :shakehead

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

No the Wings will draft 29th for sure, they only had a chance at 29th and 30th, so since they're out of the playoffs and they have the best reg season record they get the 29th.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

If it makes you feel any better I certainly am crossing my fingers that Detroit switches positions with my Pens next year. Then you can have the indescribable pleasure of a top draft pick.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Spongebob said:
Exactly.....there are alot fans that would give up a top 10 pick to see their team finish with the best record overall......Let the Red Wings finish in the basement....and then see if they think the team with the best record in the regular season should get a high draft pick. :shakehead
(this comment directed at anyone who wants to talk about how fair/unfair it is for teams to pick high/low in the draft based on success/lack of success in the regular season)

We had a thread that discussed this - if someone wants to dig up how the draft order should be set, go there. We're discussing how the draft order is set, and trying to come up with a source to validate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad