Draft order thread (Islanders pick it is)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think you're over-optimistic.

Remember last year Murray offered several teams ALL THREE of our 2nd round picks to try to move up about a 12-15 spots, and couldn't find any takers.

To me that illustrated how each draft's circumstances are different and that you can't ever plan to move around because it depends so much on how each team's boards look. I don't think it shows that you can't make that deal because in 2013 I think there was a great chance you could've made the exact same trade. Who knows in 2015, but the 2nd round is stronger than it was considered last year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah, also look at how many more first round picks were traded this year than last year. It may seem counter-intuitive, but teams definitely seemed more willing to move picks in this year's "deeper" draft than in last year's draft and it wouldn't surprise me if trading up were to work similarly.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yeah, also look at how many more first round picks were traded this year than last year. It may seem counter-intuitive, but teams definitely seemed more willing to move picks in this year's "deeper" draft than in last year's draft and it wouldn't surprise me if trading up were to work similarly.

I would hazard a guess the two main reasons for that movement were that teams felt good about what they could get in the 2nd round without a 1st rounder and that teams had a better handle on how the playoff races work under the new format/lots of teams thought they needed a push. I could see teams valuing adding an additional 2nd rounder at the draft this year because the first half or so of that round looks very good. Whether we keep our picks or move up I feel great about what we could get, so it doesn't mean much to me. Last year it was very disappointing that we couldn't move up because there were so many guys I really liked just sitting there.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I think if we can move up into the 12 to 15 range, we can get a near impact player that has fallen or just got caught in the shuffle of the draft. There are handful of players that fall into the category of they could get drafted top 10 or possibly fall out and into the top top 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad