draft order question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
ok lets say a team like (edmonton, nucks) misses the playoffs but they have a better record then a playoff team in the east. Who picks first.

Like if the Nucks or oilers were to miss the playoffs would they be picking before any playoff team in the east, or could they potentially be drafting after like a #7 or #8 seed in the east if their record was better then the team in the Easts.

Just wonder how that works. I'm sure it didn't make sense at all.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So going in reverse it's Cup Winner, Cup Runner up, Division winners, playoff teams, non playoffs teams? Leaving out the lottery.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Hasbro said:
So going in reverse it's Cup Winner, Cup Runner up, Division winners, playoff teams, non playoffs teams? Leaving out the lottery.
Not the cup runner up. it goes cup winner last and then based on the pts for all the play off teams, and then based on the least pts from the none play off teams plus the lottery.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
H N I C said:
Not the cup runner up. it goes cup winner last and then based on the pts for all the play off teams, and then based on the least pts from the none play off teams plus the lottery.
Thats not exactly right, its: Cup winner last, then division winners in order of points then 4-8 playoff teams then non-playoff teams.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
so as a wild fan i say...

Come on oilers, don't make the playoffs :clap:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As for the non-playoff teams, there is a lottery that ALL 14 non-playoff teams are involved in. You can not move up more than four spots so only the bottom five teams have any chance at all at the top pick though. The last place team has a 25% chance, next to last a shade over 18% and on down. The cumulative total of the chances of teams 6-14 add up to a shade under 25% so you can guess the percentages of team number 14 are pretty low. By the way if team 6-14 does in fact win the lottery they move up four but the last place team then gets the first pick giving that last place team basically a shade under a 50/50 chance at the top pick. You can not drop more than one slot.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Does anyone know which team (and in what year) "won" the lottery draft to climb to the best draft spot??

My memory tells me that FLA climbed up a considerable number of spots in the 2002 to get the #1 (which they then traded to CBJ to draft Rick Nash).

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Mallard said:
Does anyone know which team (and in what year) "won" the lottery draft to climb to the best draft spot??

My memory tells me that FLA climbed up a considerable number of spots in the 2002 to get the #1 (which they then traded to CBJ to draft Rick Nash).
"WINNERS" OF THE PREVIOUS DRAFT LOTTERIES
1995 - Los Angeles (was 7th, moved to 3rd; Ottawa retained 1st overall pick)
1996 - Ottawa (retained 1st overall pick)
1997 - Boston (retained 1st overall pick)
1998 - Tampa Bay (was 3rd, moved to 1st)
1999 - Chicago (was 8th, moved to 4th; Tampa Bay retained 1st overall pick)
2000 - NY Islanders (was 5th, moved to 1st)
2001 - Atlanta (was 3rd, moved to 1st)
2002 - Florida (was 3rd, moved to 1st)
2003 - Florida (was 4th, moved to 1st
2004 - Washington (was 3rd, moved to 1st)

I also set up a table on my site that shows the chances of picking 1-14 if you're one of the 14 non-playoff teams.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i could be wrong, but i thought the draft lottery was for the bottom 10 teams, not bottom 14.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hasbro said:

1 lottery winner
2-14 the next worse teams that missed the playoffs
15-24 teams who are in the playoffs but didn't win the division*
25-29 division winners*
30 Cup Winner

*unless the Cup winner didn't win the division

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
go kim johnsson 514 said:
1 lottery winner
2-14 the next worse teams that missed the playoffs

Lotttery winner picks 1st, if they finished bottom 5,if they finish 6th they pick #2 and so on.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
They should have left it the way it was in 2005 that way a winning team could get a chance at having a high pick in the lottery. Why always reward the losing teams. This way every team has a chance at the numer one pick although the weaker teams would have a higher probability.

The lottery formula was as follows - each team started with three balls in the lottery drum. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick (a previous draft lottery win) over the last four years, a team lost one ball. But each team was guaranteed to have at least one ball in the lottery. The first round will go with teams picking 1 through 30, with the 30th team picking 31st and the draft order 'snaking' back and forth in a seven round draft.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
SammyTheBull said:
They should have left it the way it was in 2005 that way a winning team could get a chance at having a high pick in the lottery. Why always reward the losing teams. This way every team has a chance at the numer one pick although the weaker teams would have a higher probability.
Let a Detroit, Colorado or Philadelphia win the Cup and then win the lottery and get the #1 overall pick the year John Tavares is draft eligible, and see how many people think it's still a great idea.

The reason you "reward" the losing teams is to create parity. It's an idea first imagined by Pete Rozelle, that ideally every team would go 8-8 in a season. And until the NFL altered how the schedule was created starting in 2002, the NFL was getting close to parity - and fans showed up and watched on TV in record numbers.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
SammyTheBull said:
U realize the purpose of a draft is to improve the weaker teams, if the top teams could get the top picks the bad teams would never get better. I personally would like to see a little more movement possible just to make it more interesting, something like any team can move up as much as 6 spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad