Draft on July 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Well based on the poll, and some subsequent posts to the board, it would appear that July 30th is the draft date. I'm assuming, hopefully not incorrectly, that a good portion of those that said they would be ready by the July 23rd/24th dates will also be fine with the July 30th date.
I recognize that some people are away on the 30th, especially here in Canada where that is a long weekend, but there is never a summer date where at least a half a dozen or more GM's cannot attend.
For those that cannot attend please make sure you either make arrangements for someone else to draft for you (as Pittsburgh has done) or at a minimum you provide a draft list to the commish. Failing to do so may result in some or all of your picks to be voided.

Submission dates for draft lists for the remaining rounds are TBD.

FYI a discussion has begun on whether we will only go to the 7th round or still do a full 9 rounds and any potential ramifications. Details will be announced shortly.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Following up...

Assuming that the NHL does indeed limit its draft to seven rounds, we will be following suit. For the most part, it appears that most teams are still in possession of their original 8th and 9th round picks, so the resulting fallout from cutting the draft short should be minimal. In consideration of the few teams that have accumulated additional 8th and 9th round picks, the following compensation plan will apply:

- FLA and NYI, each in possession of 2 8ths and 2 9ths, will each receive a pick at the end of the 7th round (FLA will pick first, then NYI)

- TBL and STL, each in possession of an extra 9th, will receive $25,000

Hope that's clear enough. If, for some reason, the NHL does hold a nine-round draft, pretend you never read any of this. :)

In addition, this year's draft will begin at 9:00 AM EST (GMT -5:00). Anyone living in western North America can blame the Aussies for the fact that they have to get up early on a Saturday.

Phoenix AGM

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
HFNHL Commish said:
Anyone living in western North America can blame the Aussies for the fact that they have to get up early on a Saturday.

I would like to make it known that the Coyotes' terrible draft record is directly attributable to this tradition. I look forward to selecting another overrated and/or injury prone prospect with the #3 overall pick this year.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Phoenix AGM said:
I would like to make it known that the Coyotes' terrible draft record is directly attributable to this tradition. I look forward to selecting another overrated and/or injury prone prospect with the #3 overall pick this year.

If you are really worried, I would be willing to take the pick from you

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
OMG thats a terrible time

but i did manage to get up early to watch my boys in the world cup,
deutscher fussball bund, as well as watch canada play at crazy hours in the World Juniors in Europe.

So i guess i'll have to load up on Molson Kick, a strong caffeniated beer to keep me awake lol.

HFNHL Red Wings

Just remembered something we usually post ... draft eligibility for North American players for this year is birthdates between 01/01/85 to 09/15/87. Anyone with an earlier date can be signed as a FA (assuming they are not playing in the NCAA). European players, regardless of age, need to be drafted.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I didn't previously state when I'd be able to make it, but July 30 works for me and so the LA Kings will be there to draft.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
According to the SUN, it will be a 7 round draft, which means that we will also be going with one now, correct?

Also a few more tidbits which I found cool and would effect our league, maybe not immediately but in the near and distant future...

1) There is no more draft opt in. When you are eligible for the draft, you are drafted. Plain and simple.

2) The Waiver Draft has been eliminated

3) The max age of drafting has been raised to 21 for both North Americans and European players (no more 19 for NA's, and no more unlimited age for Euro's).

HFNHL Red Wings

Some interesting info there but then again it's the SUN which I never trust. The STAR had been reporting that the European age was going to be maxed at 22 and both sources agree on NA draft age limit.
Has anyone else seen info on the other elements from any other sources.
Other things that have been brought up is that Europena players also have to be signed within 2 years of drafting. I'm assuming this now means that Europeans over 22 can be signed a FA's but havn't seen any details on that matter.

This really is going to be a whole new operating environment for the (HF)NHL.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Some interesting info there but then again it's the SUN which I never trust. The STAR had been reporting that the European age was going to be maxed at 22 and both sources agree on NA draft age limit.
Has anyone else seen info on the other elements from any other sources.
Other things that have been brought up is that Europena players also have to be signed within 2 years of drafting. I'm assuming this now means that Europeans over 22 can be signed a FA's but havn't seen any details on that matter.

This really is going to be a whole new operating environment for the (HF)NHL.

Yeah I heard that the fact about the Euro's having to be signed in under 2 years as well, which would I guess by default make any overager Europeans free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->