Draft, Muckler says BOG favour 30 balls in a bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaBomba

Dec 29, 2003
John Muckler said yesterday on the Team1200 that the league is considering 2 options on the draft order for 2005.
#1 - draft order selected based on past 5 years with a wieghted system
He said there was very little support for this

#2 - 30 balls in a drum, pick them one by one. Everybody has a fair shot. Round 2 reverses so team 30 gets 31 as well.
He said that this was the most popular by far. He also stated that the teams that were in the bottom of the standings were already rewarded with good draft picks in 2004.

My guess, is that he wants Sydney lining up beside Hossa.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, I'm glad another person heard the interview.

Unfortunately for me, this is your first post and I'll likely be pointed at as somehow having a connection with you.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
HF2002 said:
Well, I'm glad another person heard the interview.

Unfortunately for me, this is your first post and I'll likely be pointed at as somehow having a connection with you.

HAHA YOU ALIGNED YOURSELF WITH A NEWBIE!

oh wait, thats not what you ment was it?

back on topic. This is the way I want the draft to be done. And judging from recent comments, this is likely going to be the way its done. The Wings are in a situation where they may NOT be very good this season. A year off, half the team retires, The other half are Free Agents still. And we get the last pick in the draft while teams like Washington get a top 3-4 pick becasue they tanked.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The AP wire said the opposite for the support of option 2 (i.e. that it was unpopular)...so is that just Muckler's take or reality?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Such a horrible idea. Bad teams get good draft picks, its as simple as that, that is how the bad teams get better in the future. Because of the lockout that contempt just gets thrown out the door? If this was any other non-Crosby year this wouldn't even be an issue. The league really is a joke.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
My favourite thing is that with 30 balls in a drum, I'm almost willing to guarantee you the Leafs get pick number 30...it's just the way things go for us. lol

I much favour this idea.

LaBomba

Dec 29, 2003
Muckler was very deliberate in saying that the major support was for 30 balls. He seemed confident that the board would support this option. He also stated that there was a fair amount of heated discussions in the room.
I'll see if I can find a link but it was around 3:30 Eastern time with Gord and Dean on the Drive Home with Team1200.
The announcers seemed shocked that Ottawa might get a 1/30 at Croz.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I say do the lottery on draft day too, just to keep all the teams guessing right up to the draft.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As for the draft lottery, there was all sorts of talk after the meeting about a stormy debate on how best to proceed. In actual fact, one NHL GM made an impassioned plea to do the lottery one way but before any debate could take place, Bettman shut it down.

He basically told the GMs how it was going to be. It will be a weighted lottery. The teams that have missed the playoffs for the last three or four years will have a better chance to get the first pick overall, but all 30 teams will be in the running.

Non-playoff entities like Columbus and the New York Rangers will have a better chance of winning the lottery than, say, Detroit or Colorado, but everyone will have some shot at the top pick. And keep in mind, as good a chance as a team like Columbus may have compared to a team like Detroit, the field has a better chance of winning than the franchise that gets weighted as No. 1.

The NHL hasn't decided yet when to conduct the lottery -- it could happen before the lockout is over; it could be put off until a new CBA is in place -- but two things we do know. Whichever team gets the first pick overall won't pick again until No. 60, and the team that gets the 30th pick will pick again at 31. Also, all traded or transferred draft choices will be in effect for the next draft, so if your favourite team traded away its first-round pick in 2005, kiss Sidney goodbye right now -- even if your team wins the lottery.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=120872&hubName=nhl

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I hate both ideas . . . . . . I'm all for a draft based on seasonal results . . . . hold off on the draft until Feb and use the 41-game point to determine drafting order.

All this running around like chickens to get a draft done is going to cause more harm than good . . . . I don't care if Crosby is supposed to be the savior, I think rushing to do a draft to get the kid in the league is going to ruin him and hurt the game - - - people are going to complain that any contrived draft order is just that, contrived (if not downright fixed), unfair, and highly suspect.

I do not trust the league to handle this properly . . . . I hear comments about how putting the kid in a market like New York or Toronto would be "good" for the game and I worry that the powers that be will see to it that it will happen.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Jaded-Fan said:
As for the draft lottery, there was all sorts of talk after the meeting about a stormy debate on how best to proceed. In actual fact, one NHL GM made an impassioned plea to do the lottery one way but before any debate could take place, Bettman shut it down.

He basically told the GMs how it was going to be. It will be a weighted lottery. The teams that have missed the playoffs for the last three or four years will have a better chance to get the first pick overall, but all 30 teams will be in the running.

Non-playoff entities like Columbus and the New York Rangers will have a better chance of winning the lottery than, say, Detroit or Colorado, but everyone will have some shot at the top pick. And keep in mind, as good a chance as a team like Columbus may have compared to a team like Detroit, the field has a better chance of winning than the franchise that gets weighted as No. 1.

The NHL hasn't decided yet when to conduct the lottery -- it could happen before the lockout is over; it could be put off until a new CBA is in place -- but two things we do know. Whichever team gets the first pick overall won't pick again until No. 60, and the team that gets the 30th pick will pick again at 31. Also, all traded or transferred draft choices will be in effect for the next draft, so if your favourite team traded away its first-round pick in 2005, kiss Sidney goodbye right now -- even if your team wins the lottery.

Im in favor if this a lot more.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
Also, all traded or transferred draft choices will be in effect for the next draft, so if your favourite team traded away its first-round pick in 2005, kiss Sidney goodbye right now -- even if your team wins the lottery.

Isn't that the way it's always worked? If you trade your pick, it's gone? lol
Also, I don't believe anyone has traded their pick, so it really doesn't matter.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
X8oD said:
HAHA YOU ALIGNED YOURSELF WITH A NEWBIE!

oh wait, thats not what you ment was it?
Hey, I'm the one who 'broke' the story first. And I was here first. So he's joining me if anyone is aligning with anyone here. :)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
HockeyCritter said:
I do not trust the league to handle this properly . . . . I hear comments about how putting the kid in a market like New York or Toronto would be "good" for the game and I worry that the powers that be will see to it that it will happen.

Oh god, so if one of the big market places like Chicago, NY, Toronto etc get Crosby are you going to run on here and yell it was a big conspiracy? :shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And I will say as I did before.

Someone is blowing smoke up our a$$es.

The article linked above (and widely reported 3 or 4 days ago) can not be right as well as this alleged report.

I have no clue who is blowing the smoke, but either that linked article is totally wrong, or Muckler is playing games, or this radio report never happened.

I have no clue, I was not at the meetings, I do not know Muckler, and I do not have access to that radio station. But someone is making up stories, one of the three sources.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Jaded-Fan said:
Also, all traded or transferred draft choices will be in effect for the next draft, so if your favourite team traded away its first-round pick in 2005, kiss Sidney goodbye right now -- even if your team wins the lottery.
Does anyone know of a web site that keeps tabs on what team has traded what pick and to which team?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Oh god, so if one of the big market places like Chicago, NY, Toronto etc get Crosby are you going to run on here and yell it was a big conspiracy? :shakehead

Come on, be fair, there's no way that a large market team could win the lottery fairly, everyone knows that. If the Rangers win it's because they paid off Bettman. If Toronto wins it's because we're dirty, and roughed up Bettman. If Chicago wins it's because the owner was threatening to steal Bettman's wallet, and declare the revenues not hockey related.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Kickabrat said:
Does anyone know of a web site that keeps tabs on what team has traded what pick and to which team?

I'm almost certain that nobody has. I know Toronto has not.

Munchausen

Sadly, I'm pretty sure right now there's 25 or so GMs (and owners too) that will push for an equal chance lottery, with all the fans of those teams coming up with lame excuses (my team could have been worse this year, the cap takes away our rightful advantage, a plane could crash on the AC Center, etc.) to agree with them. Only the likely bottom teams will feel outraged by this and even though I'm not a fan of a bottom team, I sure understand their pain.

The draft was at first a mean to create a cycle in hockey and help the teams in difficulty, so they can "re-do" themselves through the draft. If you take away this only purpose just because Crosby is making everybody lose their marbles, might as well call it a night on the entry draft system altogether and declare 18yo free agents up for grab to anyone.

No matter the stupid excuse you come up with, there is not one single legit reason for this draft not to be at least weighted in the bottom teams' favor. But unity is likely already over among owners. Sharks will be sharks, and every owner will want Crosby on their team to kick start the new era, no matter what logic says about it, so be sure an equal chance lottery is a likely scenario April 20th.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:

Well, as far as I know, Bettman works for the owners. If the BOG wants a 30 ball, winner take all lottery, then thats what they are going to get.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
HF2002 said:
And yet you claim that the interview with Muckler never happened.

No, read again. I claim that someone has to be full of it as the two stories are diametrically opposed. I fully admit that I have no clue who. Though I can speculate, because the one is linked and was reported in at least 100 papers that one has a greater possibility of bearing out, merely for the reason that I can at least find a link to that version. 100 links actually.

ps:

from another thread on these boards, RDS Article on Negotiations, apparently that first version was confirmed again monday with some minor variations saying that Bettman wants SOME CHANCE (does not sound very big does it?) for play-off teams, that the lottery will definately be weighted, and that there was some resistence even to the version Bettman wants which is far less than equal chance for 30 teams. The article was posted in French but was translated within that thread by Drake 1588 as follows:

Bettman will Choose

It is ultimately Gary Bettman who will choose a format for the NHL entry draft, following meetings with several members of the hockey community. He will make his decision public on April 20, the date set for the NHL governors’ meeting.

The heated discussions of Friday allowed the commissioner to gather together myriad suggestions. Bettman made the argument that the league should not stop at just the non-playoff teams a the bottom of the standings from 2003-04. He believes each team should have at least a chance at drafting Sidney Crosby.

It is probable that the commissioner will adopt a draft lottery format with different criteria for determining the draft odds. It will surely rest on the number of points accumulated by the teams since the last round of expansion. It will also weigh team participation in the playoffs.

But, if he retains the option that each of the 30 teams has at least a chance to draft Crosby, he will have chosen the wisest plan and the most realistic under the circumstances.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/176567.html

There you go, two linked articles, the first very very widely reported, the second still saying the same thing several days later. I would love to see some link saying otherwise.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jaded-Fan said:
No, read again. I claim that someone has to be full of it as the two stories are diametrically opposed. I fully admit that I have no clue who. Though I can speculate, because the one is linked and was reported in at least 100 papers that one has a greater possibility of bearing out, merely for the reason that I can at least find a link to that version. 100 links actually.

ps:

from another thread on these boards, RDS Article on Negotiations, apparently that first version was confirmed again monday with some minor variations saying that Bettman wants SOME CHANCE (does not sound very big does it?) for play-off teams, that the lottery will definately be weighted, and that there was some resistence even to the version Bettman wants which is far less than equal chance for 30 teams. The article was posted in French but was translated within that thread by Drake 1588 as follows:

Bettman will Choose

It is ultimately Gary Bettman who will choose a format for the NHL entry draft, following meetings with several members of the hockey community. He will make his decision public on April 20, the date set for the NHL governors’ meeting.

The heated discussions of Friday allowed the commissioner to gather together myriad suggestions. Bettman made the argument that the league should not stop at just the non-playoff teams a the bottom of the standings from 2003-04. He believes each team should have at least a chance at drafting Sidney Crosby.

It is probable that the commissioner will adopt a draft lottery format with different criteria for determining the draft odds. It will surely rest on the number of points accumulated by the teams since the last round of expansion. It will also weigh team participation in the playoffs.

But, if he retains the option that each of the 30 teams has at least a chance to draft Crosby, he will have chosen the wisest plan and the most realistic under the circumstances.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/176567.html

There you go, two linked articles, the first very very widely reported, the second still saying the same thing several days later. I would love to see some link saying otherwise.

RDS and TSN are the same thing.

Anyone get the feeling this TSN article is going to be to Jaded-Fan what the December 9th proposal is to Al Strachan: he's going to keep going back to it over and over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad