draft lottery?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
since the draft lottery has last place team ever not pick1st?

Multiple times the last place team hasn't picked first. I think less than half the time.

Just ask Philly about it. Worst team by a mile in 06-07 and the lost the draft lottery getting JVR instead of Kane.

sabresfan3383

Dec 3, 2004
Tonawanda, NY
Carolina 2003 - Fleury
Pittsburgh 2004 - Ovechkin
Philadelphia 2007 - Kane
Columbus 2012 - Yakupov
Florida 2013 - MacKinnon

To name a few who had lowest points but lost the lottery

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
here is a link to the draft lottery winners

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/nhl-draft-lottery-results.htm

The last place team has only won the lottery 5x I think since 1995 when it started. The difference previously was a team could only move a certain amount of spots. So some last place teams were able to keep the top pick if, as an example, someone with the 8th pick won the lottery. That isn't the case anymore. The winner gets the first pick.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So pretty much in order for us to get Reinhart we must ensure finishing in 30th to guarantee the top 2 pick, and either have us, Edmonton (Ekblad) or NJ (forfeit) to win the lottery. I am already bracing for Ekblad as our prize for this **** season and not Reinhart.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
So pretty much in order for us to get Reinhart we must ensure finishing in 30th to guarantee the top 2 pick, and either have us, Edmonton (Ekblad) or NJ (forfeit) to win the lottery. I am already bracing for Ekblad as our prize for this **** season and not Reinhart.

losing the lottery doesnt mean losing Reinhart....it depends on who wins it. I cant see Edmonton picking Reinhart.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The last place team only has a 25% chance of winning the lottery. That means it has a 75% chance of picking 2nd rather than 1st under the new rules. The last place team is more likely than any other team to pick first, but it's also three times more likely that it won't.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

ummmm Bennett???

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
here is a link to the draft lottery winners

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/nhl-draft-lottery-results.htm

The last place team has only won the lottery 5x I think since 1995 when it started. The difference previously was a team could only move a certain amount of spots. So some last place teams were able to keep the top pick if, as an example, someone with the 8th pick won the lottery. That isn't the case anymore. The winner gets the first pick.

Really? I thought the 5 spots maximum you could move up was still in effect. Did that change in this past CBA?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Really? I thought the 5 spots maximum you could move up was still in effect. Did that change in this past CBA?

Yes, last draft was the first under the new rules, though there were also some special modifications due to it being a shortened season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad