Confirmed with Link: Draft lottery to be held April 9

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Oh I wouldn’t mind Turcotte or especially Cozens (whom I’m high on and is my third BPA), but I expect shenanigans - it’s why I have zero expectations and want the team to win on a nightly basis, so that way I don’t get heartbroken come draft day and teams jump us

(Sorry for being negative or pessimistic)

Being negative or pessimistic is so NOT like you!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Holding the draft lottery early might be the one change made under Gary Bettman that I actually like. Unfortunately, it's almost completely overshadowed by his wildly stupid draft lottery rules.
It would not be stupid if we got first overall

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we finish outside the top2, I wonder what it would look like to swap with another team in the top10 and what would have to be packaged to make it happen. Let's say we're sitting 4th and Colorado is 7th and wants to move up. The Wings and Avs would clearly swap those first rounders, but what would Colorado have to add to make Detroit move out of that spot?

My thing is that after Hughes and Kakko, I see a lot of guys I really like but no one that really separates themselves from the pack.

Reactions: KJoe88

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Well, Detroit better start buy lottery tickets, both because they need Hughes, and because if Colorado wins, my blood will boil.
Not sure what would upset me more than the Avs winning it (also if they miss the playoffs they could drop into the top 10 as well with their own pick).

Oilers, and Hawks picking in the top 5 would leave me screaming with rage as well.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It would not be stupid if we got first overall
No. As long as the system is how it is, it's still wildly stupid. Let me explain my position. I wouldn't have much of a problem with teams who are at the very bottom winning a lottery spot. So, a team in 30th place winning the 1st over all pick might excusable. I could even go a little further than that. Let's say just the bottom four or eight teams are involved. If it was just those teams competing for a lottery spot, then I'd probably accept it because all those teams are really nowhere near competing for the playoffs. Also, if there was only one, maybe two lottery spots up for grabs, then I'm probably fine. What is wildly stupid is having the bottom 15 to 16 teams involved in the lottery for 3 picks. We've already been bumped twice and the further you fall, the more likely you are to be bumped multiple times. So far, it already means that it could take us years longer to rebuild or that our rebuild wont be as strong as it would have been and all because Bettman wants to punish teams that aren't winning enough. What's most stupid about his system is that it doesn't even work: Teams still tank just like always.

What is tanking anyway? If Bettman can prove that a team threw a game, then he should go after that team or else **** off. If he can prove a team faked an injury to sit a star then he should go after that team or else **** off. I don't remember being presented with evidence for anything approaching that level of wrongdoing bef

Teams at the bottom will always rest vets so they can call-up and take a look at prospects at the end of the season. Teams will always trade away for picks at the deadline. That's what tanking really is if tanking is anything, but if those are things that Bettman wants to punish with his draft lottery system, then he's ridiculous, because those things are not only justified but they also make the NHL more exciting.

Last edited:

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Cozens seems pretty physically developed for an 18 yo, so I could see him making a team out of camp.

I agree though that Kakko is the only lock. I agree Hughes needs to get bigger.

Physically yes, you could make a case that if he gains about 5-10 pounds he would be ready. but talent and strength are the other factors that would need to be set for him to make the team.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Not sure what would upset me more than the Avs winning it (also if they miss the playoffs they could drop into the top 10 as well with their own pick).

Oilers, and Hawks picking in the top 5 would leave me screaming with rage as well.

I thought I brought this up before, maybe in the draft talk thread.

What would bother you more: Colorado picking 1+2 or Edmonton winning another lottery?

I believe the results were overwhelmingly Edmonton winning the lottery, but I have always been on the Colorado side.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let's say we're sitting 4th and Colorado is 7th and wants to move up. The Wings and Avs would clearly swap those first rounders, but what would Colorado have to add to make Detroit move out of that spot?
Based on the value charts I can find, it would be an additional 2nd at minimum, and possibly a later pick/prospect tacked on as well. In that scenario, the Avs would REALLY have to love somebody to make that move.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I thought I brought this up before, maybe in the draft talk thread.

What would bother you more: Colorado picking 1+2 or Edmonton winning another lottery?

I believe the results were overwhelmingly Edmonton winning the lottery, but I have always been on the Colorado side.
Regardless of the history between us, and the Avs - I'd honestly say watching the Oilers win the 1st overall pick would be a complete joke, and would be more upsetting.

I can live with the Avs winning 1st, and 2nd...Though that would suck too - just a bit less.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kakko scored his 22nd Liiga goal today. 1 more than Barkov did before his draft.

They seem to be good Finnish comparables, both were physically quite ready on their draft years.

Recently Kakko has played Left Wing. So he got pro experiment from every forward position at this season.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Kakko scored his 22nd Liiga goal today. 1 more than Barkov did before his draft.

They seem to be good Finnish comparables, both were physically quite ready on their draft years.

Recently Kakko has played Left Wing. So he got pro experiment from every forward position at this season.
I know Kakko has played more games at center than Kotkaniemi in his draft year, but how many games did Barkov's play center?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He really was something else in his rookie season in the Liiga, wasn't he?

Yeah, Barkov did already well one year before the draft. 0.5 points per game as 16-year-old. And I think the competition level was then higher at Liiga. Now there's more teams raised from weaker 2nd level (Mestis) and scoring is a bit inflated now 2019 vs. 2013. But it enables Liiga teams use kids against men and it's very good developmental environment, when you play against men and learn from experienced and smart veterans.

Like Stanley Cup winner Ville Nieminen became a coach, and at 2012-13 he was the winger for Barkov on his Liiga days....

Back to Barkov, at 17-year old, he did play almost (0.91) a point per game (21+27=48 points in 53 games), and I'm, 99% sure Tappara would have won the Championship without his shoulder injury at the Semi-Final series.

Barkov was also one of the youngest of the 2013 draft class. Anthony Mantha is 50 weeks older (almost a year), but they went on a same draft.

Kakko scored 10 goals after turning 18-year-old (birthday at February). Barkov scored all his points as 17-year old (September 2nd b'day).

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
It seems like I am the only one with a good feeling about this draft. The NHL owes Detroit for that **** scheduling in the Stanley Cup and I think it’s time to collect. Believe it or not the Wings are still popular across North America and it is in their best interest to make us good again. Go Wings!

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I predicted a long time ago we whiff this one but bink the Lafreniere #1 overall next year so I'll stick to that prediction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad