Draft Lottery Thread - All Tank Talk here

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It would be a miracle if our tanking can catch up with the Wings. But even then, knowing our luck and rigged system, we would lose the lottery and pick outside the top 3.

By the way, is Lafreniere legit? People say he’s like a Benn, but he looks more like a bigger wing version of Crosby. Not the fastest skater but good skill and strong on the puck with great balance, hands and shot. I do like that his work ethic and his commitment appear to be Crosby like (but it needs to be when your so dominate at a young age like he’s been). I wouldn’t mind a Kobe like A-hole who does everything to win. I just worry about having an 18 year old who is too good for juniors and risks getting hurt by a douche like Tkachuk. I’d prefer a few years for prospects to mature to avoid early injuries. Byfield also needs time for refinement, but I think he would be up in the NHL too early like Dach because he is too physically gifted to be challenged in the OHL.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Lafreniere's dad is a really big guy. If he can get a little bit quicker, it will be nearly impossible to move him off the puck in a few years.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It would be a miracle if our tanking can catch up with the Wings. But even then, knowing our luck and rigged system, we would lose the lottery and pick outside the top 3.

Every team is more likely to pick outside the top 3 than inside it, including Detroit.

Don't think of it as "moving down." Think of it as Detroit is picking 4th, we're picking 5th, etc., and everyone has a small chance of moving up into 1, 2 or 3.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

By the way, is Lafreniere legit? People say he’s like a Benn, but he looks more like a bigger wing version of Crosby. Not the fastest skater but good skill and strong on the puck with great balance, hands and shot. I do like that his work ethic and his commitment appear to be Crosby like (but it needs to be when your so dominate at a young age like he’s been). I wouldn’t mind a Kobe like A-hole who does everything to win. I just worry about having an 18 year old who is too good for juniors and risks getting hurt by a *****e like Tkachuk. I’d prefer a few years for prospects to mature to avoid early injuries. Byfield also needs time for refinement, but I think he would be up in the NHL too early like Dach because he is too physically gifted to be challenged in the OHL.
Even as a winger he is the best prospect to come out of the draft in a few years. I’d have him on the Matthews/Eichel level of prospects: a clear franchise player, albeit not “generational” like Crosby/Ovechkin/Mcdavid

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its time to send lundy comtois steel and jones down to SD.

Just go with
Shore getz sprong
Rakell henrique silf
Ritchie grant kase
Deslauries rowney sheerwood

Lindholm manson
Fowler gudbeanson
Mdz holzer

I think everyone is back after all starbreak. Let the kids play in SD and get back confidence... hell sd would have a legit chance at winning a championship with the kids back

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Actually I don't mind whom we get out of the top 7. Lafreniere obviously is great and it would be time for the firsttime #1 pick of the history. But Byfield, Raymond, Lundell Tsützle and Rossi dto. Perfetti could be a good trigger man for Z. Drysdale would fill a huge need of a swift skating right hand shot D.

Lots of great pieces. Being Austrian I have a soft spot for Rossi who has the same produtction as Lafreniere.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Even as a winger he is the best prospect to come out of the draft in a few years. I’d have him on the Matthews/Eichel level of prospects: a clear franchise player, albeit not “generational” like Crosby/Ovechkin/Mcdavid

I still view Matthews and Eichel higher than Lafreniere, since they are centers and appear to have better skating based on the games I’ve watched. He does appear to be a legit 30+ scorer that we are so desperately looking for. I just hope he has a winning impact that defensemen would provide like Makar, Dahlin, and Heiskanen.

Reactions: Deuce22

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
I didn't watch any Germany's games. What's Stützle's game like?

I have watched a few DEL-games this year, and Stützle is pretty impressive. Now, the DEL might not be the fanciest of leagues, but the fact is that he is producing quite well for a kid in a professional league.

If he goes between 3-8, it'll be a steal.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lafrieniere is Proving to be the best prospect since at least Matthews. Adding him would be huge, there’s no doubt. Doesn’t solve the defense but it gives you the surefire franchise player we need.

it’s one of the few things I can get excited about right now, let me have this

completely off topic but I think Dahlin was a better prospect than Matthews. Not as much hype right around draft time because Toronto didn’t win the lottery but every bit as good of a prospect, if not better.

that said I agree with you that Lafrieniere is legit and in that second tier of franchise but not generational guys. This is much better at the top than the 2014, 2017 and 2019 drafts that’s for sure.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
DNLRvvg.gif

Tiger Tank for Stutzle !

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah this draft is really deep in the top 15 actually, so we will be getting a good player.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
completely off topic but I think Dahlin was a better prospect than Matthews. Not as much hype right around draft time because Toronto didn’t win the lottery but every bit as good of a prospect, if not better.

that said I agree with you that Lafrieniere is legit and in that second tier of franchise but not generational guys. This is much better at the top than the 2014, 2017 and 2019 drafts that’s for sure.
That’s fair. I’ve got Dahlin pretty close to the Matthews/Eichel tier, I just find it hard to compare defensemen to forwards.

I personally think Matthews was pretty damn great as a prospect. He went and played in Switzerland which was weird for an American player but absolutely dominated over there. Granted he was old for his draft(like Lafreniere is)

so to me the difference between all of Dahlin/Eichel/Matthews/Lafreniere as prospects was pretty negligible. All pretty obvious franchise players

Reactions: Paul4587

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
As of now, we still are second-worst in the league, which means we would pick #5 at the worst, and most realistically either #3 or #4. That should land us a chance at Stützle, Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti or Lundell. Out of that group I would definitely prefer Stützle over the other players not just because of the obviously connection, but because I think that he is, albeit rough, the player with the highest ceiling in this draft not named Lafrenierè. Yes, higher than Byfield as well.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As of now, we still are second-worst in the league, which means we would pick #5 at the worst, and most realistically either #3 or #4. That should land us a chance at Stützle, Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti or Lundell. Out of that group I would definitely prefer Stützle over the other players not just because of the obviously connection, but because I think that he is, albeit rough, the player with the highest ceiling in this draft not named Lafrenierè. Yes, higher than Byfield as well.
Stutzle would be my pick if we arnt #1 or #2.... raymond and drysdale pretty close tho.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I have a sneaking suspension that our goaltending is back. And that we are within striking distance of 8th come trade deadline( somewhat like last season, only this time we will win the final games before the actual deadline. Edit= nobody wants to be traded off team and we are healthy again( players like sprong and shore won’t be taking any nights off and recalls from gulls will play tails off) we are also due some puck luck . If we can comeback form the break and beat the sharks. You never know. We will have some games in hand and maybe some teams start to lose more

You’re completely joking if you think this team is anywhere close to being playoff ready. If anything Ducks get 9th overall again. And Murray is fired. This team has no business being in the playoffs. Not sure why Duck fans are always fine with mediocrity every season.

All this team is doing is delaying the inevitable of a rebuild. No damn team last in the league of goal scoring ever won a cup. I hope you understand that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You’re completely joking if you think this team is anywhere close to being playoff ready. If anything Ducks get 9th overall again. And Murray is fired. This team has no business being in the playoffs. Not sure why Duck fans are always fine with mediocrity every season.

All this team is doing is delaying the inevitable of a rebuild. No damn team last in the league of goal scoring ever won a cup. I hope you understand that.
I dont think anyone is claimin the team can win a cup with the roster.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

So they get another Zegras type? Sure.

I hate tanking I really do. It’s not a good atmosphere for young players. Sure some teams have won a cup after tanking for 1st overall, like Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Chicago but then others are still struggling for like a decade like Edmonton and Buffalo.

I am a big Miami Dolphins fan, when they went 0-7 I said just let them lose out but I was embarrassed as a Miami fan. They then went 5-4 the rest of the season and had a huge win to beat New England in the last game. Still will pick 5th OA but I’d gladly fall back to see them beat the Patriots like that and screwing them over. NFL is different though no lottery and those picks are ready to play next season.

My point? I think it’s not very fan like to want your favorite team to lose or tank. The Rangers forum last year had people pissed when they won a game. It really turned me off. Especially since it’s a lottery and you are not even guaranteed that top pick.

Do you really want to see them tanking for the next decade like a Buffalo type and never have a solid core to build from? They have a solid core now but the kids need to develop more and they do need to get outside help so I do agree things are not close to them being a contender. I really don’t want them to waste prime years away from guys like Gibson, Lindholm, or Fowler by blowing it up and hoping to get a top pick and hoping they are as advertised and become that player expected to be. Which is still a crap shoot.

Reactions: Bergey37

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
So they get another Zegras type? Sure.

I hate tanking I really do. It’s not a good atmosphere for young players. Sure some teams have won a cup after tanking for 1st overall, like Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Chicago but then others are still struggling for like a decade like Edmonton and Buffalo.

I am a big Miami Dolphins fan, when they went 0-7 I said just let them lose out but I was embarrassed as a Miami fan. They then went 5-4 the rest of the season and had a huge win to beat New England in the last game. Still will pick 5th OA but I’d gladly fall back to see them beat the Patriots like that and screwing them over. NFL is different though no lottery and those picks are ready to play next season.

My point? I think it’s not very fan like to want your favorite team to lose or tank. The Rangers forum last year had people pissed when they won a game. It really turned me off. Especially since it’s a lottery and you are not even guaranteed that top pick.

Do you really want to see them tanking for the next decade like a Buffalo type and never have a solid core to build from? They have a solid core now but the kids need to develop more and they do need to get outside help so I do agree things are not close to them being a contender. I really don’t want them to waste prime years away from guys like Gibson, Lindholm, or Fowler by blowing it up and hoping to get a top pick and hoping they are as advertised and become that player expected to be. Which is still a crap shoot.

Being a fan has nothing to do with it when they see the inevitable praying for loses. I’m a Lakers fan. And was praying Lakers would lose to get a lottery pick so Pelicans would trade Davis. And that’s what they did. Now they are to winning ways.

Just because you’re a fan praying for a team to lose and get better doesn’t mean it’s not being a fan. Seeing mediocrity every season gets old after awhile. This team has done nothing the past 3 years to get better. Nothing.

Everyone agrees this team needs a rebuild. Brand new coach when Carlyle was the problem......And guess what? The team is back at being square one with the exact same losing ways. Cheering on a team when it needs a rebuild isn’t fun. I’ve already dealt with it with my Lakers when Kobe Bryant retired. And this team is the same way right now. Until a rebuild is in order.

To sum it up??? Some fans cheer differently than you do. Some fans cheer in order to see their team get better for the long haul. And have different ideas of being a fan.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Being a fan has nothing to do with it when they see the inevitable praying for loses. I’m a Lakers fan. And was praying Lakers would lose to get a lottery pick so Pelicans would trade Davis. And that’s what they did. Now they are to winning ways.

Just because you’re a fan praying for a team to lose and get better doesn’t mean it’s not being a fan. Seeing mediocrity every season gets old after awhile. This team has done nothing the past 3 years to get better. Nothing.

Everyone agrees this team needs a rebuild. Brand new coach when Carlyle was the problem......And guess what? The team is back at being square one with the exact same losing ways. Cheering on a team when it needs a rebuild isn’t fun. I’ve already dealt with it with my Lakers when Kobe Bryant retired. And this team is the same way right now. Until a rebuild is in order.

To sum it up??? Some fans cheer differently than you do. Some fans cheer in order to see their team get better for the long haul. And have different ideas of being a fan.
Your analogy of basketball to hockey is bogus. One player CAN make a huge difference to a basketball team. The same cannot be said in hockey. Putting Lafreniere (or whoever) on the Ducks in no way compares to putting Anthony Davis on the Lakers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad