Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
The Article includes Bettman address :

[/size]

He is looking for idea's and is willing to take outside advice on this issue ..

This is his solution that he came up with, and seems to be desperately seeking help.

I wonder if he is looking for suggestions to help end the lockout as well, or on closing a deal or negotiating practices, or is he simply just stuck on this draft thing only ??

To me it seems he is stuck in neutral on numerous issues at this stage.

If Bettman delays long enough though, the solution could resolve itself.. Crosby's agent may have him declared a UFA by then, according to recent articles they have hired the appropriate top gun experts and are proceeding in that direction.

Where does it say that Bettman asked for suggestions? I think that the more likely reading of 'Maybe you have a better idea. Send it to G. Bettman c/o National Hockey League, 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York, 10020' is that the article writer put the address down and offered it, not Bettman.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
It sounds like a fair solution to me. GM's like Doug MacLean and several others who won't be happy with the 3 ball system will have to understand that every team made sacrifices by closing down for a season to install fiscal parity throughout the league, actually, some sacrificed more then others.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Chili said:
Four years was the max. (when the Wild & Jackets entered the league).

Seems fair to me (chance to every team while somewhat weighted) although I too would like to see a snaked draft so that the team who does get the first pick does not benefit in every round.

4 years was the max, but three years instead of 4 makes sense. This way there are no teams in the mix who's rosters were almost entirely made up of castoffs from other teams. Basically, 3 years is the amount of time that the league has had where no team was an expansion team.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
IF they go off the last 3 years, the last 3 cup winners should have to draft 28 -30 IMO. Same if you go back 4 or 5. Unless of course you have repeat winners. Tehy should have to pick the ball. :D

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
If Bettman delays long enough though, the solution could resolve itself.. Crosby's agent may have him declared a UFA by then, according to recent articles they have hired the appropriate top gun experts and are proceeding in that direction.
[/size]

What a joke! You missed your calling. You should have been an ambulance chaser. You just love the idea of everything going to court, which is the last place that any business wants things to go. You think that by going to court that you all of a sudden get what ever you want, not realizing that it is a brutal process where no one but the ******* lawyers come out on top. If Crosby goes to court he will be playing in hockey in Europe until he is 28 as it will take the courts a decade to wade through all the paperwork the league and NHLPA will toss at them.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
You know what I find amusing?

All these NHL teams squabbling over who gets Crosby, all of this hype...and he may only turn into the next Paul Kariya. Not likely, but until these kids encounter NHL competition and (at least, if not more importantly) experience the NHL lifestyle, who can say how they'll react.

Well all remember Alexandre Daigle, right? Or when Pat Falloon was supposed to be the next Steve Yzerman?

Crosby will very likely be as advertised, but I can't help but be amazed at all the furor.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Not a bad plan, but IMO if they are using three years as the base, the three teams that won Stanley Cups during that time period (New Jersey, Detroit, and Tampa) should have the lowest chance to get Crosby.

1 ball for Cup winners
2 balls for teams that made the playoffs all 3 seasons
3 balls if you missed once
4 balls if you missed twice
5 balls if you missed all 3 seasons

this seems perfect to me. and fair

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
WC Handy said:
DISCLAIMER: 'My Team' made it the playoffs the last 3 years.

I hate the idea. The elite teams in the league should have no shot at Crosby. At best, it should be reserved for the 10 teams that averaged the fewest points over the last 5 years.

So reward the crap teams and punish the good teams of the past?

The problem is under the new NHL the top teams in the past will now be on a level playing field. Putting one of the best prospects in in recent years on a team in a city that has no love for hockey will only do more harm to the game.

Imagine this kid on Atlanta or Tampa, so much for the competitive balance.

WC Handy*

syc said:
So reward the crap teams and punish the good teams of the past?

What a novel concept. The teams that are the worst get to pick earlier in the draft.

The problem is under the new NHL the top teams in the past will now be on a level playing field. Putting one of the best prospects in in recent years on a team in a city that has no love for hockey will only do more harm to the game.

What a dumb statement. So why don't we just put all the best players in the original 6 cities? :shakehead

Imagine this kid on Atlanta or Tampa, so much for the competitive balance.

:help:

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
Personally, I question the "three years". Why just three? That doesn't seem to represent a hell of a lot, in my opinion.

I think it should be based on a longer length of time, at least five years - anybody feel like doing the crunching to see how the odds would differ? [Sorry, I'm a thinker, not a doer].

Why five, Lets go back to the eighties! Then maybe the Leafs will have a chance.

X0ssbar

gc2005 said:
Call it selfish, I call it fair. Asking for a 1 in 30 chance (or even smaller) isn't being selfish. Trying to base it on the last 5 years if your name is Columbus is being selfish.

Try being a Columbus fan for the past four years and I gurantee that you would be singing a different tune.

Regardless, at least its a weighted system even if I'm not thrilled about the percentages of the weight.

There are actually two articles out there today about draft scenarios. One is posted here and the Toronto Star has a slightly different outlook but the same basic scenario.

"Nothing has been passed by the board of governors and isn't expected to be for some time, but it's believed the lottery will work like this:

Each team starts with four balls in the lottery.

Teams lose a ball for each year they qualified for the playoffs in the past four seasons.

Teams also lose a ball if they have had the first overall selection in any of the past four drafts.

Each team is guaranteed at least one ball.

Under that system, there would be a total of 60 balls in the lottery. The Leafs, along with 12 other teams, would have just one chance, giving them a 1.7 per cent likelihood of winning the lottery.

The Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets would be the only teams in the league to have four balls in the lottery, giving them each a 6.7 per cent chance of winning."

Link

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Messenger said:

He is looking for better idea's and is willing to take outside advice on this issue ..

This is his solution that he came up with, and seems to be desperately seeking help.

I wonder if he is looking for suggestions to help end the lockout as well, or on closing a deal or negotiating practices, or is he simply just stuck on this draft thing only ??

I like how you edited out that last part of the paragraph:

Maybe you have a better idea. Send it to G. Bettman c/o National Hockey League, 1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York, 10020. Or email [email protected]

And you read that as Gary Bettman desperately seeking help? Seems rather obvious it's Terry Jones trying to add some flavour to his article.

The next time you call others out for their lack of reading comprehension in a condescending tone, look up the word "hypocrite" in the dictionary.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
It Rewards Incompetence

Simply the fact that the Rangers have a better chance than the poster children of this lockout (Edmonton, Calgary) indicates this system is not fair.

The Rangers, as all of you know, have had among the highest, if not the highest payroll in the NHL all those years that they missed the playoffs. They could buy Tampa Bay and Calgary both, and still have change in their pockets. This scheme rewards their incompetence and punishes the younger teams who built from scratch. It also penalizes teams like the Oilers who did the best they could with an exchange rate handicap and limited funds as compared to New York or Toronto.

SENSible1*

Digger12 said:
I like how you edited out that last part of the paragraph:

And you read that as Gary Bettman desperately seeking help? Seems rather obvious it's Terry Jones trying to add some flavour to his article.

The next time you call others out for their lack of reading comprehension in a condescending tone, look up the word "hypocrite" in the dictionary.

Did you really expect any different from Messenger?

His M.O. is consistent-- Bring a big shovel, make sure to make generous use of font changes, all caps and bolds. Last but not least, completely ignore realilty and spin, spin, spin.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Messenger said:

[/size]

He is looking for better idea's and is willing to take outside advice on this issue ..

I am worried about you TM. No hockey has affected your judgement to the point that you have no idea that it was a writer suggesting that if you don't like to send your idea to the NHL offices not Gary Bettman enlisting the help of the wise hockey fans out there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If I was the Bettman, I would be trying my damnedest to get Crosby somewhere in the south.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
snafu said:
Simply the fact that the Rangers have a better chance than the poster children of this lockout (Edmonton, Calgary) indicates this system is not fair.

The Rangers, as all of you know, have had among the highest, if not the highest payroll in the NHL all those years that they missed the playoffs. They could buy Tampa Bay and Calgary both, and still have change in their pockets. This scheme rewards their incompetence and punishes the younger teams who built from scratch. It also penalizes teams like the Oilers who did the best they could with an exchange rate handicap and limited funds as compared to New York or Toronto.

You're making the mistake of somehow assuming that finances have anything to do with where you draft. This is stupidity, the only thing that determines, and should determine, draft order is on-ice performance.

Saying things like "the Rangers shouldn't get a high pick because they have had a high payroll" is no different than saying "I need to dig a hole, where's my gun?"

Roger's Pancreas*

I love the concept of a snake draft, it's about time they give it a serious looking into.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
go kim johnsson said:
If I was the Bettman, I would be trying my damnedest to get Crosby somewhere in the south.

Dallas sounds about right :D

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
go kim johnsson said:

as much as it pains me... and it does... the league is best served with Crosby in NYC. EVERY league is best served with marquee teams/players in their biggest markets, because they then get the best possible ratings for playoff/championship games where networks attempt to cash in.

building the teams in the south and other weak markets is clearly important, but in terms of quick fixes for the league following the lockout and going forward, Crosby in MSG is a nice thought.

Lanny MacDonald*

Jester said:
EVERY league is best served with marquee teams/players in their biggest markets, because they then get the best possible ratings for playoff/championship games where networks attempt to cash in.

Yes, the NFL sure has struggled by having their best players in huge markets like Green Bay, Indianapolis, etc. And having their best teams in markets like New England, Tampa, etc. certainly has hurt the league as well.

Stars are stars and will continue to be stars no matter where they are. If the game is marketted correctly it won't matter where the team is from, the fans will still watch the big show because it is the big show.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
WC Handy said:
DISCLAIMER: 'My Team' made it the playoffs the last 3 years.

I hate the idea. The elite teams in the league should have no shot at Crosby. At best, it should be reserved for the 10 teams that averaged the fewest points over the last 5 years.

agreed. as much as I would love to see him end up on the Leafs, i'm even more terrified of him ending up on Philly or Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad