draft lottery proposal by Gary B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Those are pretty good odds for everyone, even the teams that have made the playoffs the last 3 years.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Lorenzo1000 said:

The lottery system, simply, would be a team gets a ball for every year it has missed the playoffs in the past three years. Therefore, teams such as the New York Rangers would get three balls, whereas teams such as Edmonton would receive two for missing the playoffs twice.
Every team would be guaranteed at least one ball in the draft so everyone has a small chance at landing the big prize Sidney Crosby.

Hmmm, not a bad idea GB, Everyone gets atleast one ball while no one gets more than 3 balls.

Lanny MacDonald*

Seems fair to me. The big markets still have a crack and the teams most deserving get the biggest chance at Crosby. I think this is a good compromise and should keep everyone happy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
it is sort of fair. I think it should be based more on points than wheather you missed the playoffs or not.

Last edited:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Seems fair to me. The big markets still have a crack and the teams most deserving get the biggest chance at Crosby. I think this is a good compromise and should keep everyone happy.

Until that ball doesn't bounce their way then we'll see a who bunch of crying. :D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
chiavsfan said:
Actually I think if a big market ends up getting their ball drawn, a lot of people (on these boards included) are going to scream "FIX"

(New York Rangers)

No wonder Bettman came up with this :propeller

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Actually, to be fair, the numbers should be 4-3-2-1. If you're gonna base these things on past history, why should a team that didn't miss the playoffs in those years get the same number of balls as a team that missed the playoffs last year?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
Actually I think if a big market ends up getting their ball drawn, a lot of people (on these boards included) are going to scream "FIX"

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory. Bettman did come from the NBA and they know about fixing the draft lottery. (allegedly)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not a done deal. The original report from the Edmonton Sun, for whatever that source or any source for that matter is worth to begin with (remember the hockey deal is as good as done reporting?), had this to say, unquoted in the sportsnet article:

Many NHL general managers, coaches and scouts in Innsbruck and Vienna for the world championship have varying degrees of belief, from being absolutely convinced this is the exact plan which will be put in place to feeling something similar would be approved.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/05/18/1044803-sun.html

As for me, I hate the idea if it turns out to be so. It has far too high a chance that Crosby ends up on a loaded team. But move Crosby aside from the discussion, it has the likely result that several loaded teams will at least end up in the top ten and several teams far from competing will get the shaft and end up at the bottom.

As for the actually working out of this, according to the article Columbus, Buffalo, Atlanta, Florida, Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers get three balls. Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Nashville, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Washington, Minnesota and Anaheim get two balls. Everyone else one. That leaves about a 27% chance of ones with one ball getting number one. 38.5% chance of two ball teams. 34.6 chance of a three ball team getting number one. If they put in that you could not drop more than 2 or 3 slots and the slots be based on point totals over three years though I could accept the system.

Last edited:

Joey13

chiavsfan said:

What is bad is that the fix in the NBA Draft lottery usually involves a big market team landing the # 1 pick (See Patrick Ewing, NY Knicks) or local interests (see LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers). If the NHL rigs the draft lottery, that could mean the resurrection of an average original 6 big market - Boston (yes!) or Chicago (no!)? If it's locally tied I guess it would be the Habs or a Northeat team.

Actually, that system seems as fair as anything else. Regardless, people will complain. If the Avalanche got him I'd be ecstatic, if he went to the Red Wings, I'd freak!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
According to Bettman's plan, this is how many balls the lottery would work with:

3 balls:
NY Rangers
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Florida
Atlanta
Columbus

2 balls:
Carolina
Washington
Phoenix
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Edmonton
Calgary
Minnesota
Chicago
Nashville

1 ball (teams who missed the playoffs once):
Montreal
Tampa Bay
San Jose
Dallas

1 ball (teams who made the playoffs all 3 years):
Philadelphia
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Boston
Toronto
Ottawa
Colorado
Vancouver
Detroit
St. Louis

Wizz

Mar 1, 2002
Unknown
Visit site
Tawnos said:
Actually, to be fair, the numbers should be 4-3-2-1. If you're gonna base these things on past history, why should a team that didn't miss the playoffs in those years get the same number of balls as a team that missed the playoffs last year?

I totally agree with you. If the numbers are 4-3-2-1, it's fair for everybody.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I think they should just hold one big honkin' draft. If it were up to me, that's what I'd do. Throw the names of all NHL players and all NHL drafted players and all NHL prospects into one big hat. Let 30 GM's take turns picking a name of a player out of the hat, if they want him, they gotta sign him right then and there, on the spot. I'd even give the GM's 5 minutes each draw to make their decisions, cuz I'm such a nice guy. Otherwise, the player's name goes back into the big hat. It might take a while, but I don't think it'd be any worse than whatever the hell the NHL is doing to the game of hockey these days.

Lanny MacDonald*

Tawnos said:

That's actually how I read it. All teams would start with one ball (ouch) and then a ball would be added for each year you missed the playoffs in the past three. So Toronto would get one ball, Tampa would get two, Calgary would get three and the Rangers would get four. I think it is more than fair IMO and should make everyone happy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You got to have balls to come up with that plan. :D

Now the only standing in the way of the plan is IMG and Jim Quinn from what I can tell ..

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Wouldn't it be more fair for every team to have one chance plus one for every year they missed the playoffs. That way teams who didn't miss the playoffs wouldn't have the same odds as those who missed the playoffs once in the last 3 years.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Iconoclast said:
That's actually how I read it. All teams would start with one ball (ouch) and then a ball would be added for each year you missed the playoffs in the past three. So Toronto would get one ball, Tampa would get two, Calgary would get three and the Rangers would get four. I think it is more than fair IMO and should make everyone happy.

That is not what the actual article that was quoted said. Though God only knows how much of it is accurate, and if so if that is merely their reading of what was said. But they have it that the most you can get is three balls:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/05/18/1044803-sun.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad