Draft Lottery not on TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This would severely suck if true:

"Also high on the agenda for the GMs is finding out where they'll pick in the July 30 entry draft in Ottawa. The draft lottery is slated to be held behind closed doors during next week's board of governors' meeting in New York, which is tentatively scheduled for Thursday. Commissioner Gary Bettman would then announce the draft lottery results at his ensuing news conference, which will also be used to outline new rule changes and general "re-launch" the game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130363

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Seachd said:
This would severely suck if true:

"Also high on the agenda for the GMs is finding out where they'll pick in the July 30 entry draft in Ottawa. The draft lottery is slated to be held behind closed doors during next week's board of governors' meeting in New York, which is tentatively scheduled for Thursday. Commissioner Gary Bettman would then announce the draft lottery results at his ensuing news conference, which will also be used to outline new rule changes and general "re-launch" the game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130363

It wasn't last year either.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If true, let the conspiracy theories begin (As if they haven't already)...

I'm not sure why they would do it behind closed doors, unless they wish to tamper with the drawing. If you hold it in the public's view, then people wouldn't claim blasphemy if something suspicious arises.

There is a big audience in Canada. Just show it.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
EroCaps said:
It wasn't last year either.
It never is. That's not really the point, though. If they want to generate inerest in their "relaunch", this isn't a very good way to do it.

And not just because of Crosby. In this lottery all teams are involved, and the entire first round will be drawn, not just one ball.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Seachd said:
It never is. That's not really the point, though. If they want to generate inerest in their "relaunch", this isn't a very good way to do it.

And not just because of Crosby. In this lottery all teams are involved, and the entire first round will be drawn, not just one ball.

I'm with you.

I'm partial to the bouncing-ball w/pegs and slots you see on "The Price is Right". Plunko is it?

We could get Bob Barker to host the lottery. :D

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
If they do it live, then they can't reveal the order in reverse.

And besides, there are enough ways to rig a lottery in clear view that their is no need to do so behind closed doors.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
id like for espn news to have a hour special on it, come on, they owe us atleast 1 hour since theyve spent no time on it at all this past year... 1 HOUR COME ON

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
zetterberg40 said:
id like for espn news to have a hour special on it, come on, they owe us atleast 1 hour since theyve spent no time on it at all this past year... 1 HOUR COME ON

But then they would have to pre-empt the hotdog eating contest and the pro bowling (Tier II) semifinals. :(

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
it would be fun, but who would watch it besides the hardcore fans???

a 30 minutes summary on all sports channel looks to be enough.

maybe the first pick could be done live on all sports channels. Would take 5 minutes and it would be done.

Personnally, I don'T really car to see if the habs draft 12th or 16th... I just want to know where Crosby will end up

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Ryderama said:
it would be fun, but who would watch it besides the hardcore fans???

Personnally, I don'T really car to see if the habs draft 12th or 16th... I just want to know where Crosby will end up

Maybe you're right, because as a hardcore fan, I care more about where my team picks than where Crosby goes.

It just seems like the perfect opportunity to do the relaunch, and I'm not even one of those that thinks the league should market the hell out of Crosby. I just think there's no reason not to show this thing live.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:

I think ESPN was kinda ticked off at the NHL because they chose to lock out therefore leaving ESPN with a hole in it's scheduling. They paid for the TV rights and the NHL shut them out.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
Any math geeks out there? There has to be a way to do a ball drawing in reverse that doesn't change the odds. Reversing the number of balls so that Detroit gets 3 and Columbus gets 1 wouldn't work, but how close would multiplying those numbers by 10 make it?

Egil said:

And besides, there are enough ways to rig a lottery in clear view that their is no need to do so behind closed doors.

CH Wizard

The Great One said:
But will the true draft (30th july) is gonna be on tv?

Anyone?

I guess,we all don't know it...please keep us updated.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
demonic said:
Any math geeks out there? There has to be a way to do a ball drawing in reverse that doesn't change the odds. Reversing the number of balls so that Detroit gets 3 and Columbus gets 1 wouldn't work, but how close would multiplying those numbers by 10 make it?

The easiest way to do it would be to just pull out 30 balls in a row without revealing the numbers, and then read them back in reverse order.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
the_gman83 said:
The easiest way to do it would be to just pull out 30 balls in a row without revealing the numbers, and then read them back in reverse order.
They can't do that though, because when a team gets picked, they have to take out its other balls.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Egil said:

Ehm..they could not count in reverse order but they would easily manage to rig the lottery in clear view? :biglaugh:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Reveille! said:
Omg Conspiracies.
Who cares if they rig it. Hockey's in such a dire state right now in the USA that if the NHL DID rig the lottery, which of course they want Crosby to end up in a big US city, they'd make sure Crosby went to a city that is beneficial to the NHL. I hate the rangers a LOT, but if Crosby ends up in New York, I'd be extremely happy for the league because having Crosby in NY or LA would definitely draw a lil interest back to the NHL probably. If Crosby ends up in Pittsburgh, Carolina or even my favorite team FLA, it would definitely not help promote Crosby as the new face of the NHL. I hope its not rigged, I HIGHLY doubt they'd even think of rigging it, but the NHL wants him in NY, if Crosby ended up on a canadian team, the NHL may as well just shut down right now south of the Canadian border.....ok...overstatement there, but still, he's a key piece to the future of the NHL and really for all intents and purposes NEEDS to land in Chicago, Detroit, NYR, or LA.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
AT LEAST they should do a webcast of it. The NHL could be faced with the embarrasing prospect of a city getting Sid and having no idea about it until the next day.

The lottery would make good between period material for the playoffs, the NBA is smart enough to realize that. Get some fans of out teams to watch during the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad