Patriots/NFL 2020 - Football is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Dan Marino always struck me as the kind of QB whose coordinator would call for a handoff, but then go into the huddle and tell the team that it's a deep passing play instead.

Funny Marino story.... I worked with a guy who was SWF obsessed with Marino...Was creepy....so Marino is playing golf at some thing in NJ and my friend goes with a football to meet his idol and get an auto....After every hole, Kids and my creepy adult friend goes up to Marino for an auto, and he says "Nah man, just the kids"....He stalked him for 18 holes, asking every hole....so after the final hole, He does it again and Marino says, "ok fine".... he signs the ball but doesn't do it with his trademark "13" on it, and says "Try selling that one" lololol..... truth be told no way he was going to sell it anyways but just hilarious....

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My college roommates cousin lived in the same town as Marino and has had multiple hilarious confrontations with him. I don’t think my buddy was lying because he was dying laughing telling the stories, seemed too genuine

Apparently Dan is an asshole. Idk lol

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Sept. 13 vs. Miami, 1 p.m. W
Sept. 20 at Seattle, 8:20 p.m. L
Sept. 27 vs. Las Vegas, 1 p.m. W
Oct. 4 at Kansas City, 4:25 p.m. L
Oct. 11 vs. Denver, 1 p.m. W
BYE WEEK
Oct. 25 vs. San Francisco, 4:25 p.m. W
Nov. 1 at Buffalo, 1 p.m. L
Nov. 9 at New York Jets, 8:15 p.m. W
Nov. 15 vs. Baltimore, 8:20 p.m. L
Nov. 22 at Houston, 1 p.m. W
Nov. 28 vs. Arizona, 1 p.m. W
Dec. 6 at Los Angeles Chargers, 4:25 p.m. W
Dec. 10 at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m. W
Dec. 20 at Miami, 1 p.m. L
Dec. 28 vs. Buffalo, 8:15 p.m. W
Jan. 3 vs. New York Jets, 1 p.m. W

I'm feeling greedy. that's 11-5 and factoring in a late-season Miami loss because we always have a random clunker against them.

Worst case I see us dropping one of the two LA games and SF, so 9-7. But if they don't have the division on lock like they do every year, maybe Bill doesn't let them sleepwalk through Miami in December again. So back to 10-6.

You're definitely looking at it optimistically. I don't necessarily like to go game-by-game, but more types of games.

Let's split up the season into sections:

6 division games: You've got them going 4-2. They've gone 5-1 in the division for four straight seasons, so let's say they lose an extra one this year. 4-2

4 AFC W games: You have 3-1. I think KC is a guaranteed loss. None of Carr, Lock, or Tayler/Herbert scare me, but I just have trouble seeing them go 3-0 against them, so I'll say 2-2.

4 NFC W games: You have 3-1. The NFC West had the most combined wins last year, and by quite a bit too. With San Francisco, we're convinced that they'll have a Super Bowl hangover, but what if they don't? I think best case is 2-2, with 1-3 as a possibility.

2 1st place games: You have 1-1. BAL is a guaranteed loss. With Houston, I'm not worried about O'Brien, but Watson has played them tough every time he's faced them. The 2021 Patriots will be all about low scoring games, so that's something to remember with each opponent. Can Stidham keep up with Watson? Even a homer would need to lean towards no. It doesn't help that the Texans have a murderer's row start to their schedule, so they'll be desperate for wins. 0-2.

Final Prediction: 8-8, +/- a win (and, frankly, any of those are kind of worst case scenarios because I'd much rather win 6 games or less or 10 games or more)

Even if they had Brady, I'd probably predict 11-5. It's a tough schedule. Maybe it won't be as tough as it looks, but we have to remember that last year's team won 12 games against one of the easiest schedules ever. You're dropping from Brady to Stidham, and then expecting the defense to not take a step back, which I think is unlikely. I guess we'll see how an actual "nobody believes in us" Belichick team performs.

Reactions: rfournier103

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
My college roommates cousin lived in the same town as Marino and has had multiple hilarious confrontations with him. I don’t think my buddy was lying because he was dying laughing telling the stories, seemed too genuine

Apparently Dan is an asshole. Idk lol

I can see him being one of those "do you know who I am?" guys

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
L
I can see him being one of those "do you know who I am?" guys

that is pretty much the nature of it lol

since it’s not really all that consequential in the grand scheme of things and I heard it awhile ago I don’t recall every detail but the gist of it is this- long line at a pizza place, Marino comes in and goes to the front to pickup his pizza. They didn’t have his order because his wife had called another pizza parlor (might’ve been the same franchise, just a separate location...dont recall that part). Basically he does the whole “do you know who I am schtick” and throws a tantrum wanting them to make his pizza while the long line behind him waits. My buddies cousin starts chirping him. “Class act, Dan!”. Marino had words back, yada yada

then I believe there was another encounter between the two but I don’t remember what it was. Then I’m fairly certain the final encounter involved Marino showing up to a charity golf event and seeing my friends cousin and having him kicked out of the event by saying he wouldn’t do it if he was in it. LOL funny stuff. I hope I’m retelling everything accurately, it’s been years since I first heard it. But I was crying laughing when I did hear it. Just the notion of Dan Marino and this random dude from town having a long-standing beef is hilarious to me. Take it with a grain of salt because I’m certainly not a primary source and my memory is shit but idk, my friend isn’t the type of guy to make shit up for the sake of it (even though he does work in DC politics)

Reactions: McGarnagle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If they play 16 I got the Patriots at a very competitive 5-11

bookend 5-11 before and after Brady

however I have Stidhsm legit and them getting better and better

If there are no fans I jump them up to 8-8

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Good point re: the schedule from Zolak

Seattle and Kansas City are the hardest and loudest places to play on their schedule, and we get them the first month. If the re-opening is in phases where we start the year with no or lower numbers of fans in the crowd, that could neutralize the home field advantage that those places have. We probably still lose both, but I could see them shocking Seattle in an upset.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Good point re: the schedule from Zolak

Seattle and Kansas City are the hardest and loudest places to play on their schedule, and we get them the first month. If the re-opening is in phases where we start the year with no or lower numbers of fans in the crowd, that could neutralize the home field advantage that those places have. We probably still lose both, but I could see them shocking Seattle in an upset.

Unless there's some miracle medical breakthrough, I don't think you have to be worried about fans at all. Maybe some of the southern states (Texas, Florida, Georgia) allow fans, but I can't see California, Washington, New York, New Jersey, or Massachusetts allowing even small crowds through the rest of the year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gonna be fascinating to see what they do to replace the lack of fans. Maybe they’ll make it so we can hear more audio from the field. We’ll probably be able to hear everything as is with nobody around though

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
You're definitely looking at it optimistically. I don't necessarily like to go game-by-game, but more types of games.

Let's split up the season into sections:

6 division games: You've got them going 4-2. They've gone 5-1 in the division for four straight seasons, so let's say they lose an extra one this year. 4-2

4 AFC W games: You have 3-1. I think KC is a guaranteed loss. None of Carr, Lock, or Tayler/Herbert scare me, but I just have trouble seeing them go 3-0 against them, so I'll say 2-2.

4 NFC W games: You have 3-1. The NFC West had the most combined wins last year, and by quite a bit too. With San Francisco, we're convinced that they'll have a Super Bowl hangover, but what if they don't? I think best case is 2-2, with 1-3 as a possibility.

2 1st place games: You have 1-1. BAL is a guaranteed loss. With Houston, I'm not worried about O'Brien, but Watson has played them tough every time he's faced them. The 2021 Patriots will be all about low scoring games, so that's something to remember with each opponent. Can Stidham keep up with Watson? Even a homer would need to lean towards no. It doesn't help that the Texans have a murderer's row start to their schedule, so they'll be desperate for wins. 0-2.

Final Prediction: 8-8, +/- a win (and, frankly, any of those are kind of worst case scenarios because I'd much rather win 6 games or less or 10 games or more)

Even if they had Brady, I'd probably predict 11-5. It's a tough schedule. Maybe it won't be as tough as it looks, but we have to remember that last year's team won 12 games against one of the easiest schedules ever. You're dropping from Brady to Stidham, and then expecting the defense to not take a step back, which I think is unlikely. I guess we'll see how an actual "nobody believes in us" Belichick team performs.
I am with you Smitty 93, I think the best we will finish is 9-7 and we could be as bad as 4-12. I know my prediction is a large spread, but there are so many question marks this year, mostly with JS. I like the two TE's we drafted and both should make the team. I see Asiasi playing a larger role vs Keene as a go to guy in the air. I think Harry and Sanu will have much better seasons this year. Sanu will play his butt off as he is a FA at the end of the year. Harry can only get better. On dee we need Dugger, Jennings and Uche all to contribute. Not expecting all 3 to be 3 down players, but need them to play significant roles.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
San Fran "really really vulnerable" ? They were a few minutes away from winning the Superbowl with only a few changes. I think they still win 11-12 games this year.
And the Cardinals? Got a great defensive player in Simmons at #8; a guy who will have immediate, huge impact on that unit.They also got a 1st round talent in Jones with their 3rd round pick. A guy who should be a starting offensive tackle after a few games.
Bottom line, Pats have their hands full and could easily start out 1-3.

Yes...San Francisco is really vulnerable. Don't discount the fact that Kyle Shanahan, just like in Super Bowl 51, threw that game away by not putting the ball in Garropolo's hands and that defense gave up 21 points in the fourth quarter of that game. That kind of loss sticks with a team and I don't see the Niners recovering from that. Not with Shanahan at the helm. He is a shit coach who, like Dan Quinn in Atlanta, will watch his once great team crumble around him.

And Arizona has a couple of great upgrades on the team but Kingsbury is still a bobo of a coach. They are a dark horse team to watch this year, but honestly I think the Patriots can beat them.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Unless there's some miracle medical breakthrough, I don't think you have to be worried about fans at all. Maybe some of the southern states (Texas, Florida, Georgia) allow fans, but I can't see California, Washington, New York, New Jersey, or Massachusetts allowing even small crowds through the rest of the year.
Agreed, I think all sports will have limited crowds until there is a vaccine found and or COVID 19 is controlled similar to the way SARS was eliminated.
If you use a 6ft distancing rule, then there would be approx 26000 fans in a 80,000 seat capacity ( 3 fans for every 10 seats)
Its do able.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Sept. 13 vs. Miami, 1 p.m. W
Sept. 20 at Seattle, 8:20 p.m. L
Sept. 27 vs. Las Vegas, 1 p.m. W
Oct. 4 at Kansas City, 4:25 p.m. L
Oct. 11 vs. Denver, 1 p.m. W
BYE WEEK
Oct. 25 vs. San Francisco, 4:25 p.m. W
Nov. 1 at Buffalo, 1 p.m. L
Nov. 9 at New York Jets, 8:15 p.m. W
Nov. 15 vs. Baltimore, 8:20 p.m. L
Nov. 22 at Houston, 1 p.m. W
Nov. 28 vs. Arizona, 1 p.m. W
Dec. 6 at Los Angeles Chargers, 4:25 p.m. W
Dec. 10 at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m. W
Dec. 20 at Miami, 1 p.m. L
Dec. 28 vs. Buffalo, 8:15 p.m. W
Jan. 3 vs. New York Jets, 1 p.m. W

I'm feeling greedy. that's 11-5 and factoring in a late-season Miami loss because we always have a random clunker against them.

Worst case I see us dropping one of the two LA games and SF, so 9-7. But if they don't have the division on lock like they do every year, maybe Bill doesn't let them sleepwalk through Miami in December again. So back to 10-6.

Sept. 13 vs. Miami, 1 p.m. Win
Sept. 20 at Seattle, 8:20 p.m. Loss, fans or no fans. That Seattle defense and Russell Wilso are just too good imo.
Sept. 27 vs. Las Vegas, 1 p.m. Win. Derek Carr ain't shit and Gruden's Raiders are still meh.
Oct. 4 at Kansas City, 4:25 p.m. Loss, Could break either way if fans aren't allowed into Arrowhead. Ultimately I do see Mahomes and co battering the team offensively.
Oct. 11 vs. Denver, 1 p.m. Win
BYE WEEK
Oct. 25 vs. San Francisco, 4:25 p.m. Win. Bill will scheme up a plan building off the Chiefs' successes at the Super Bowl to pick Jimmy G apart.
Nov. 1 at Buffalo, 1 p.m. Win. Will be a hard fought road game that New England could lose, but I have confidence in Belichick out coaching McDermott.
Nov. 9 at New York Jets, 8:15 p.m. Win
Nov. 15 vs. Baltimore, 8:20 p.m. Loss. Lamar Jackson will come back down to earth a bit but the Ravens are always a tough out for New England, even when we had Brady.
Nov. 22 at Houston, 1 p.m. Loss. Even with no DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans are a hard team to play. And an inexperienced QB could hurt the Pats if the chips are down going into the final minutes of a close game.
Nov. 28 vs. Arizona, 1 p.m. Win. Arizona improved as a team, but I still need to see it on the field before I see them as a threat. Plus, Kingsbury is a joke of a coach.
Dec. 6 at Los Angeles Chargers, 4:25 p.m. Win
Dec. 10 at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m. Win, could be a loss on a back to back but they should beat the Rams. Goff is a joke and McVay is losing his shine.
Dec. 20 at Miami, 1 p.m. Loss, I'd like to think they can sweep Miami but we have a juju curse with them so...
Dec. 28 vs. Buffalo, 8:15 p.m. Win
Jan. 3 vs. New York Jets, 1 p.m. Win

I see a respectable 11-5 record that, if they get some lucky bounces like sweeping Miami, could be 12-4 in a best case scenario. Call me crazy but I don't think the Patriots are as out of their depth as people want to believe they are. It will be a struggle this year but 11-5 isn't unrealistic. 10-6 will probably what it is. Worst case, I say 9-7.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGarnagle

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I am with you Smitty 93, I think the best we will finish is 9-7 and we could be as bad as 4-12. I know my prediction is a large spread, but there are so many question marks this year, mostly with JS. I like the two TE's we drafted and both should make the team. I see Asiasi playing a larger role vs Keene as a go to guy in the air. I think Harry and Sanu will have much better seasons this year. Sanu will play his butt off as he is a FA at the end of the year. Harry can only get better. On dee we need Dugger, Jennings and Uche all to contribute. Not expecting all 3 to be 3 down players, but need them to play significant roles.

I don't see them being as bad as 4-12, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised by anything between 6-10 and 10-6. There are so many factors. Does the defense take a step back when they don't have to face an easy schedule? How good can Stidham be? Is he a bottom 5 QB, or can he be league average in his first season starting? Assuming Andrews doesn't have a recurrence of his medical issue and Wynn stays healthy, how much better can the OLine be, knowing that they lost Scarnecchia? It's a tough year to be limited in preparation time.

I think it's hard to argue that they'll be as good as last year, which is why I think 11-5 or better is out of the question.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tom Brady's Move To Tampa Bay Posed Late Challenges For Networks

When the NFL’s regular-season schedule was announced on Thursday night, all of the league television partners were satisfied with how Tampa Bay’s games were distributed. The Bucs are slated to make five prime-time appearances (one Thursday, two Sunday night, two Monday night) with all of them slated between Weeks 5-12. That’s a pretty big audible for a team that was expected to have maybe two at best before signing Brady.

Pending developments in the coronavirus pandemic, Tampa Bay’s opener at New Orleans will be Fox’s featured “America’s Game of the Week,” as will the Oct. 18 game against Green Bay. CBS will showcase the Bucs in the 4:25 p.m. EST window on Nov. 29, when they host defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City. Fox — which has the NFC and Thursday night packages — has Tampa Bay nine times, while CBS, ESPN and NBC each have them twice. The Week 16 game at Detroit will be on either Fox or NFL Network, which will be determined later in the season.

Fox has five of Tampa Bay’s first six games, including its first prime-time game on Thursday, Oct. 8 at Chicago.

“I can’t think of a single player move ever that adjusted requests and turned the process upside down as much as this,” said Fox Sports senior vice president Michael Mulvihill about Brady signing with Tampa Bay. “I think the league treated everyone well with Tampa Bay because they knew how great everyone’s interest was. It was a significant curveball.”

Brady’s former team isn’t dropping off the radar. New England has five scheduled prime-time appearances (one Thursday, two Sunday night, two Monday night) and has the featured CBS late afternoon spot at Kansas City (Oct. 4) and versus San Francisco (Oct. 25).

“They are still going to be a big story for us. Plus, I will never sell Bill Belichick short,” CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus said. “They still have a great tradition and legacy.”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Stidham is "legit", I don't think there's any way they go 5-11.
Yeh I’m changing that the more I think about it because it is extremely unlikely they will be playing with fans and that can only help a young QB

Seattle & KC might be the worst road stadiums to play and they have both and if they play I can’t see any fans there

Reactions: Gator Mike

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I see a lot of parallels to 2001 in terms of team construction. Good defense, decent to good OLine, questionable depth at WR/TE, and a RB group that has a guy who SHOULD be able to average 4.0 yards/rush, with a few options out of the backfield. Combined all of that with an unproven QB in his 2nd year.

I get their schedule is difficult, but as long as Stidham is who they think he is, I absolutely can see them winning 10 games.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
28-12.
At this point I was disgusted and went to sleep.
Only to be woken up by phone ringing my buddy calling from Tennessee.

‘wake up you idiot. Turn it on. Theyre about to tie it Get up!’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->